Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which story would you like to use?
  Kess' "The Empire of Steam and Steel"
  Teddo's "Feud"
  El's "Out of the Dark"
  Let Teddo pull some mad scientist crap and make us a deranged, psychotic combination of the three!!! (Me: AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!)
View Results

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:23 pm
Indeed it is.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:58 pm
I'm all for the Steampunk/fantasy setting. I just had to share my "oh gods that's just wrong!" setting to make people's brains hurt.

I do have one request. Swing. Swing dance, and swing music. I'm in love, and the idea of vampires swing dancing makes me giddy!

Unfortunately Swing dance and the Victorian era theme are not naturally cohesive.. And I have NO idea on how to get them to mesh.

Ellenoir
Crew

Blessed Lunatic

Mr. Blackbird Lore

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:04 pm
I would have to say I'm entirely for the Steampunk Victorian or Renaissance, but regardless of time period, here's what I see as the conflict:

The Vampires live in a vaguely European city, the most advanced and cultured of its time. As their technology and interests expand, they begin to explore the outlying wooded regions for more materials and resources. What they find is a vast stretch of woodlands rich with mineral deposits. Unfortunately, this discovery is brought to a brutal and untimely end when the explorers are killed by Lycans defending their land. These minerals and these woods are blessings given to the Lycans for their praiseworthy care of the land. Thus, no one is the bad guy. One side wishes to keep their lands and responded to trespassing with violence; the other needs resources from those lands to keep their civilization on course. Humans, then, can still be pitted against either side. Your Order can still see that the Collaboration is under Vampiric influence and attempt to overthrow them; the Collaboration can still be manipulated to fight and weaken the Lycans; and the Resistance can still try to eliminate both, to maintain independence.

Ultimately, I'm on the same track as Teddo's original idea. I simply have a preference for those two time periods, but I wouldn't mind if we stuck to the original either. Just trying to squeeze my two cents in.

Scratch my idea. I'm backing Master Kess 110%.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:05 pm
Well...my two cents wink

It's 2010. Werewolves find that vampires are a plague upon the earth, and try hard to eradicate them. The vampires are attempting to maintain their power holds over humanity where they have it, their fingers deep into the world's governments and economy. As the two sides fight it out for the world, a third entity reveals itself. There is a group trying to eradicate anything that would endanger humanity. Vampires force humanity to play the position of pawn in a powerful and deadly game of the night. Werewolves kill humans and eat them from time to time, and are simply seen as a thing too dangerous to be allowed to live. The entity seems human, but they have technology beyond what anyone has ever seen, and their information is eerily correct. Can the vampires and werewolves fight each other while surviving the third threat?

This would give the humans a section to join that would be of consequence. It could also cause some interesting communications between the vampires and werewolves where suddenly a third enemy shows up that wants them both dead. My two cents.

PS: Vampires are creatures that sold out their soul for immortality and power. They drink human blood, preying on the weak. Some try to fight this reality, and pretend to be as human as possible, but in the end, ultimately, they're bad guys. It makes their redemption stories far more interesting, though. razz  

Master Strategist Kess

2,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Mistaken Chaos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:20 am
So what does that make the Lycans, then?
The good guys? stare

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:07 am
Lycans fight to save mother nature. Vampires control humanity and build large cities, defiling it. Lycans are blessed by Gaia. Vampires condemn their immortal souls for an immortal body and a lot of power. Lycans are good. But good is so boring.  

Master Strategist Kess

2,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Scouter Kai

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:08 am
I'm liking Chibi's Original Idea and Kess' ideas. I do like the Steampunk idea, but i've never played steampunk, so i'd probably not be much good in that setting anyway.

Basically, I'm good with whatever everyone else decides, but i'd have the easiest time in a modern/futuristic setting.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:05 pm
Ugh, people people people! You're being so... narrow! "Who're the good guys? Who're the bad guys? Can't we all just be neutral?"

That's a narrow perspective. Right and wrong is what you make it; that's why people continue fighting for what they do. "Liberals" believe pro-choice is RIGHT. "Conservatives" believe pro-life is RIGHT. It's all about point-of-view, and if you can't play the species' inherent points of view, how can you truly be roleplaying?

--And let me interrupt myself for a second. I don't subscribe to the "right and wrong is what you make it" philosophy, but the world around us does, and thus real, believable characters in this roleplay would certainly be found subscribing to THEIR form of "right and wrong." Vampires believing that the Lycans threaten their way of life; Lycans believing that the Vampires threaten theirs; and that Humans believe both sides are threats to their existence. Naturally, some would choose one side or the other to bolster their strength in the coming fights.--

Maybe it's just me, but if you can't get into the spirit of believing what your character is doing as right or true, or at the very least defending its own existence and those around him/her, are you really roleplaying all that well?

The way I see it, Kess's version is an entirely believable-- and perhaps the closest thing to realistic.

Just my two cents... again.

Mr. Blackbird Lore

Dapper Codger

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:22 pm
well it appears basically all of you chose victorian steampunk. Kai, if you're unfamiliar, essentially that means we'll be in an era that's socially styled after the victorian era, but has far more complex technologies. A lot of it uses steam power hydraulics, so they come out looking very retro.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:19 pm
Some good source material would be Final Fantasy 6, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), Wild Wild West (Yeah, I went there)...any others? A lot of those more touch the technology than the theme. Wild Wild West, though, with what they do with steam, is definitely up that alley.  

Master Strategist Kess

2,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Scouter Kai

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:38 pm
I know the theme and settings well enough, just i've never RPed in them before.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:29 pm
You and me both. We're in uncharted territory. >.>  

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Master Strategist Kess

2,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:41 pm
So today consisted of all day meetings, and about half way through I phased out and thought about setting. With that said, this is just an idea, so mod it to your liking. This mostly is from the perspective of vampires (sorry, they're the ones I actually care about >.> ).

The Empire of Steam and Steel
It's been 150 years since the society was built. First a man used a steam pump to get water from wells that were otherwise too deep to pump out. Then he used it to heat houses and power mills. Finally it found its way into trains, and a few extensively wealthy individuals now use it in horseless carriages, a miniaturization of the technology that was thought impossible but ten years past.

In the wake of steam, some twenty small nations have come together. Only one put up a fight, due to a greedy dictator, and the people revolted in preference for the Empire. Everyone wanted the simpler life presented through coal, and coal was abundant in the newly formed empire. Soon a megalopolis was built, spanning hundreds of miles in either direction. A central spire, placed over the legendary first water pump, houses the government for the nation. All railroads lead to The Copper Tower, or so goes the saying.

At current, they people are content. The city runs like a well oiled machine, producing copious amounts of goods. Their export is high, and there is hardly any export to distant nations. They enjoy peaceful relations with their neighbors, and welcome all to come under their banner for an easier life. However, the nation hasn't brought many more villages under the banner. No one knows exactly why this is.

The Copper Tower

The Copper Tower is the center of the Empire of Steam and Steal. The ruling class, based on a technocracy, spends most of their waking hours in the building making sure that everything works well.

The rulers join the Council of Civil Mechanizations by creating a new and nation altering invention, by mastering one specific line of technology to a point of making new innovations, or by mastering many technologies to an astounding degree and bringing on an innovation in one of their fields.

Seats on the council look over the different areas of life, including health quality, food and water supply, factory production, civilian morale, foreign relations, raw materials, and many other positions. Every year generally two new seats are added. At current the council is a lumbering 278 person giant. They meet in a large council chambers with elevated seats. In the center, the oldest member sits, surrounded by the others, calling on the next person to speak and placing motions on the floor. Under each of these councilors, there is an immediate civil service work force of 100, employing 278,000 people total. These people are generally abroad, reporting through telegraph to their council head.

Society of Coal

Vampires dug deep into the society the moment steam proved effective. When steam proved to make life so much easier, they funded it, and pushed the progress of the nation. The social elite of the vampires created the Society of Coal, an organization specifically founded on promoting the use of steam. The socially elite are not the only one in the society, but they are the leaders of it.

The Society of Coal is led by the Board, a group of the five most senior vampires. They pushed the city forward. They met with leaders of neighboring nations to convince them they should join the empire. They organized groups to cut down forests and clear land to build more metal cityscape. The Society of Coal pushed back the werewolves, and made the first truly safe bulkhead for vampires, and they did it through mortals, rarely having to fight any of their own battles.

However, now the Society has an issue pounding on its doorstep: the city is running out of coal. The city was built on large supplies of coal, but the incredible growth and use of it has caused the supply to quickly dwindle. Now vampires keep people out of the nation, when once they were so happy to accept. They try to ration coal to a populace that is so use to having it readily available. Gray outs become more and more common, and though the people are still supportive of their government, people question what's wrong.

The biggest problem is the vampires aren't letting the government know what's wrong. Through faulty reports and bribes, they make it look as if the nation is still fairly set as far as coal. The Society keeps the rations on coal off the books, having it so the government still believes there are massive reserves left. Even though the people are losing faith in the government, the government really can't do anything but smile and wonder why everyone is getting so upset with them.

There was one solution to the problem, however. To the west is a forest, and it was found that the forest has a great deal of coal, more than was under the city before steam came around. The only issue is it is a sacred ground for the werewolves. The human population believes the forest haunted, even though they won't say it, and refuses to go in without proof otherwise. Other nations surround the forest, but none touch foot in it due to the same fears. The vampires, however, need that coal to keep their safety. On the other hand, it was thought another form of power could be found. Several great vampire and mortal scientists work day, and a lot of nights, looking for this mythical source of power.

Humanity's Clockwork Salvation
The world is blind to the true threat. However, a group of disparates has come together, realizing that the government is controlled by vampires. Some of them join because of werewolf attacks on the city from the forest. They all know that something else is out there, and that divided and stricken by fear, humanity doesn't stand a chance. They have come together in secret to make the devices needed to destroy either group. They have an unreliable silver bullet, along with a faulty flame thrower. However, understanding how scarce coal is becoming, they try to use it as little as possible, making it difficult for them to perfect their weapons.

The group is very loosely organized. Cells are generally just ten or fewer people bound together, trading information with other cells. Vampires and werewolves have infiltrated the organization and have planted false information, but unfortunately it's almost impossible to truly root these groups out. It's simply wise to continuously compare notes to see if one cell is providing information that contradicts very solid evidence stating otherwise.

The government deems the louder cells terrorists, as they destroy the homes of prominent leaders of the nation who are also vampires. Some radical groups have destroyed entire trains, killing dozens of humans to get at a couple powerful vampires. More radical groups target coal shipments to vampires, along with coal operations, in the hopes of slowing down the death of the city. Others actively destroy the coal, seeing it as the source to vampiric safety. The group takes on a great many tactics, and generally cells don't work well together because of the vastly differing views.

Notes
Humans are unaware of the vampire-werewolf struggles (Humanity's Clockwork Salvation knows of the two entities, few know of the war, and they are the exception to this majority ignorance). There are a few who know, but those are kept on a tight leash. The vampires want to keep the people busy in factories and wading through paper work so they can't notice that the shadows dance around them. If humans did find out vampires existed, the vampires would quickly be exterminated. With the use of super pressurized steam at ridiculous temperatures, it would be easy enough to fashion it into a flamethrower, a weapon that would truly turn the tables on vampires. If they found out about werewolves, if not for their short supplies of coal, they could easily dispose of them as well. The fight would be more difficult, but ultimately humans would eradicate either side in a blood bath if either side became known.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:48 am
I highly support Kess' suggested story. Yesterday, I developed one of my own. I would like a poll to see if people would prefer his, mine, or a combination of the two. If anyone is planning on writing up their own, please post that you're doing so... I'm willing to wait a few days for you to write it to see if it's better than ours, or offers valid elements that can be added.

User Image

The streets of York are dark tonight. For almost a month now, it seems as if some kind of deathly pall has descended over the city. Rumors of creatures haunting the night abound. Others claim the Ripper has come to York. Still others claim it is the doing of vicious beasts from the moors. There exists only one truth in these rumors: people have been disappearing, or being mutilated in the streets… and no one knows who, or what, is responsible.

Prince Frederick, the new Duke of York, refuses to take any political action. Unrest amongst the population is evident – they believe their government is doing nothing to protect them. Police investigations have been inconclusive, although yet more rumors abound that Prince Frederick has had a hand in destroying evidence… and witnesses. Something is wrong in York… and people aren’t quite sure what.

The Mass Driver Pylons designed to power the newly rewired city have proven to be a great success in the two weeks since they were activated. However, a strange group of people with peculiar contraptions seems to me using them to suit their own means… Whatever the case is, these giant steam drivers shroud the city in mist, and seem to be having adverse effects on the water tables in the nearby Moors of York from which they draw their power…

Outside of the public eye, the vampires are on edge. Recent expeditions into the Moors of York have revealed a startlingly large population of Lycans. Believed to have been eliminated almost a century ago, the population seems to have rebounded, and is now larger than ever. So large, in fact, that their habitat can no longer support them. Reports of woodsmen and hunters being brutally mauled and devoured by giant, bear-like creatures have begun to stack up on the Dukes desk. Secretly formed vampire attacks meant to control the population have met with little success. In fact, it seems to only serve to further aggravate lycan attacks.

Vampires aren’t doing much better. The aristocracy seems to have taken a despondent interest in their ‘cleanliness’. Humans are turned left and right, and unable to control their new forms, turn to lives of murder and lust. Jack the Ripper was a prime example… what a bloody mess that one turned out to be…

The lycans have lived lives of peace and harmony within the foggy, dark Moors of York for almost a century now. However, in recent years, life has taken a turn back to the old hardships. The population, unable to maintain itself on the limited land remaining to them, has begun to encounter numerous problems. Lycans are starving. Exhausted for resources, some clans have even turned to attacking each other… or humans. Much to the dismay of the lycans, these rebellious factions have brought them back under the scrutiny of the vampires. Seeing them as beasts that prey on their subjects, the vampires are once again about to renew their feud with the werewolves…  

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Story Development Panel

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas