Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Serious discussion & Rants
human existence Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you agree?
  yes
  no
  i don't wanna read all that -.-
  poll whore
View Results

PeepaCheep

Cuddly Bookworm

14,600 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:15 am
I quote the Bard's tragic play, Hamlet:

"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason!
How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how
express and admirable! In action how like an angel!
In apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the
world! The paragon of animals! And yet, to me,
what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not
me."

The way I interpret this is that man is supposed to be seen as godlike compared to other animals, but in the eyes of a supposed madman, man is nothing more than insignificant as dust. Of course, it's true, the human race is a marvelous species, but do we really do anything in benefit for the earth?

Kudos to the farmers, for they grow the crops and feed the livestock that eventually goes into the mouths of the customers. Kudos to the vets and animal rescue teams, who devote their lives for the welfare of other animals.

I'm sure there are other people who should be recognized, but none come to mind right now. Maybe later.  
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:56 pm
*Didn't bother with reading all of the other posts*

the human race is generally a destructive one. this is because of many factors. In our quest to better our civilization, we have snuffed out entire species. However, there are people that try to make the world a better place for all creatures, not just humans. I can't agree or disagree with you because of those few people, and because of my belief that all things work for the betterment of God's kingdom. (yes I'm Christian, and damn proud of it!) the problem was not made by the entirety of the human race, just the ones whose greed exceeded their caring for others.  

Saga Shadow

Captain Chemosh

Romantic Prophet

8,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:12 pm
Mans purpose is irrelevant, we are but cosmic blips on the radar of the universe and we are simply tools to be used to create machines. For it is machine intelligence that only holds any real power on a cosmic scale.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:49 am
The human race does all of this polluting and violence and etc. (IMO) out of fear and for survival, although we have gotten abusive and lazy with it. We once were content with our small huts and fires and walking on our feet and going outside to eat. Fast-forward a few thousand years and now we cannot go anywhere without a gas guzzling machine, less and less people know how to survive outdoors, and some people are so fat that they cannot even walk. Sure, good things have come of our technology dont get me wrong, but we are starting to not care about the after-effects and consequences of our actions. We make the car, amazing! We can now get around 10 times as fast, but at the cost of killing the o-zone layer. We learn the skill to makes clothes from anything, and we kill off an entire species for some uncomfortable clothing that looks like crap. But in the end, humans do this in their attempt to survive. Sure it is pitifull not to be able to survive without your private jets and jaguars. We even made religions to try and cope with the madness in the world, and only now are we really starting to see the devistating effects of what we have done.

Man is the flawed creation, and I agree that the world would be better off without us.  

KillSmallCartoons

Furrie Princess Nala

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:46 pm
It is true but then again there are those that try to fight that same thing though no one knows who we realy are or what we do to fight it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:34 am
Seriously! If the humans were meant to destroy the earth, which was beautiful before WE made technology and polluted it that just makes no sense we were put here to destroy something because we corrupted it? no sense. The earth was beautiful.  

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

Super Taco Pocky

850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:59 am
Saga Shadow
*Didn't bother with reading all of the other posts*

the human race is generally a destructive one. this is because of many factors. In our quest to better our civilization, we have snuffed out entire species. However, there are people that try to make the world a better place for all creatures, not just humans. I can't agree or disagree with you because of those few people, and because of my belief that all things work for the betterment of God's kingdom. (yes I'm Christian, and damn proud of it!) the problem was not made by the entirety of the human race, just the ones whose greed exceeded their caring for others.
Amen brother, the world is kinda like a cake, you have to go through alot of steps to make it great but in the end you'll end up with something that you and your friends can enjoy.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:58 pm
We as humans do not have any special purpose except to ******** and bear offspring.  

God Emperor Akhenaton

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 pm
I apologize, but I barely skimmed through the other posts...
So if this has already been said, I apologize again.

In my mind, nothing anything or anyone does on this planet or others is significant. I don't mean to offend others, but my belief is that there is no higher power or a life after the one we are currently living.

No matter what we do to clean up the environment, this planet and the creatures on it will eventually cease to exist all together. No matter what we do to alter our habits, our lifestyles, even how long we live, everything you know now or could even imagine happening in the very distant future will no longer be there.

Why?
Well three reasons.
Reasons we have absolutely no power over.

1) Within a million years, the star Eta Carinae could go supernova. Though it is 7,000 light years away from Earth, Eta Carinae's gamma ray burst could be powerful enough to destroy the Earth' protective ozone layer and kill all humans with radiation. (Peter Douglass Ward and Donald Brownlee. The Life and Death of Planet Earth: How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World.)

2) The Andromeda Galaxy is on a collision course with our galaxy, speeding at 720,000 miles per hour. When the two likely collide in 3 billion years, the results will be catastrophic. (Peter Douglass Ward and Donald Brownlee. The Life and Death of Planet Earth: How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World.)

3) About 7.6 billion years from now, the sun will reach its maximum size, extending 20% beyond the Earth's orbit and shining 3,000 times brighter than it does today. In its final stage, the sun will collapse into a white dwarf and engulf the Earth. (Peter Douglass Ward and Donald Brownlee. The Life and Death of Planet Earth: How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World. & David Appell. "The Sun Will Eventually Engulf Earth-Maybe," Scientific American.)

Sure, it's an awfully long time from now. By then, we may not even live on this planet anymore. We might be somewhere else by then. I know, it's an awful lot of "could"s and "likely"s, no certainty. But still, you have to admit that's a whole lot of stuff that could happen to us that we can't control.

Not to mention, what we do to ourselves. The pollution, the poaching, blah, blah, blah. Plus, Earth's own little self-destructive quirks. Such as the natural leakage of hydrogen from the ozone. Yes, we make it worse, but whether we did or not, this occurrence will dry up the oceans and humans only might survive it.

But again, so far from now, it might not even matter.

But a couple questions:
How can there be a divine presence with no planet to rule over?
When we move to another planet, will we have the same beliefs?
How can we?
We've moved to a different place than where "god" created.
What then?
Does he still have a hand in our lives?
Does he now?

I didn't mean to make this about religion, but it's still something to think about.
And it's been bugging me.
:/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:32 pm
I'd like to throw this out there:
It has always been within Man's power to alter the natural world around him, using only what we were naturally endowed with in terms of physical strength and intelligence. There's nothing foreign about the progress we've made, it's more a question of self-control.  

Knul

Wheezing Millionaire

FoxGirl I

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:57 pm
LordStripeyTail
To put it simply: In my opinion, there is no point to the human race. We're just another race like all others. Every little insignificant thing that we each do, is just that. Insignificant. There is no point...Sorry to be so blunt, but really I don't think there is a point. Every "substantial" thing that someone does isn't as important as people think. Like, if a news crew suddenly interrupted your viewing of Scrubs on TV with some news bulletin about how a scientist just cured cancer, it wouldn't matter as much as it would seem. I mean, they'd get an award and be all famous but really...All they did was extend human existance on this earth. And for what? So we could cling to our existence for a tad longer? Trying to find out our purpose? No...Friends, I propose to you that there IS NO REASON. We're all simply trying to survive for as long as we can...And I say, we should live in the now. Make the best of what we have, while we have it.

EDIT: Ooohh....I liked that. I'm gonna save this to my Faveorite Convos File. xp

You're in the right path. There is no reason - no reason beyond what we create for ourselves. Every reason is as good as another, humans being the only race is as good a purpose and finding a new planet to live before destroying this one is just as good as if there were a trillion species living here, and no humans. Except without humans, there is no reason, no purpose, as there is none to give any reason or purpose to anything on this planet. Except chimpanzees, but although capable of abstract thinking, I doubt they think about anything on the planetary scale.

You worry about the future. You regret the past. You hope for things from the future, and you cling on to the things and people that belong in your past. You cannot let go, you always reach for anything but what you have now. Therefore you are unhappy.

You create conditions for your happiness - I cannot be happy if this, or that, if I don't have a girlfriend, if I don't live in this area, if my mother doesn't accept me being a furry, if I don't have this much money, if I don't get to that concert. Strip away all those if-clauses, stop clinging to your past and to the future, stop dreaming, and start living, erase everything, remove all conditions, and you are left with just one thing: now. And now is forever. That is the key to eternal happiness.

Don't worry. Be happy. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 pm
Matzacod
I quote the Bard's tragic play, Hamlet:

"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason!
How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how
express and admirable! In action how like an angel!
In apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the
world! The paragon of animals! And yet, to me,
what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not
me."

The way I interpret this is that man is supposed to be seen as godlike compared to other animals, but in the eyes of a supposed madman, man is nothing more than insignificant as dust. Of course, it's true, the human race is a marvelous species, but do we really do anything in benefit for the earth?

Kudos to the farmers, for they grow the crops and feed the livestock that eventually goes into the mouths of the customers. Kudos to the vets and animal rescue teams, who devote their lives for the welfare of other animals.

I'm sure there are other people who should be recognized, but none come to mind right now. Maybe later.

omgoshes your avi is cuuute!!!!!! <3  

furrysnow13

4,100 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
Serious discussion & Rants

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers