View Results

xXTwilight_CreatorXx

2,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 am
Scarlet_Teardrops

Okay, so I've noticed several Christians these days coming out and saying "Evolution doesn't go against the Bible". I don't understand if they're trying to win over people who are Atheists and such or what. All I know is that I have to disagree. Reason:

"Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground." Genesis 2:7

Bang. There are no monkeys or anything like that. In fact, Adam wasn't even child. He was a man, a grown adult.

Also, how He created Eve:

"While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man's ribs and closed up the opening. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib, and he brought her to the man." Genesis 2:21-22

The Big Bang theory doesn't work for the Bible either, because God had first created the earth and had put vegetation on it when He decided that the sun and moon would be created.

If anyone can tell me how these do not contradict Evolution and the "Accident", please do.

Okay, before I make my argument, I should let it be known that I am one of those Christians who believes that the theory (emphasis on that word because it is not proven) Evolution does not contradict the Bible. So, please don't flame me just because I'm going against the majority opinion of this forum. (Not that I think anyone will, being this is a Christian Guild and I think we are all pretty reasonable human beings, but I, as I said, I'm going against the common opinion here.)

First off, God did form Adam with dust. But, what is dust anyway? Dust is dirt. What makes up dirt? According to garden.com, "[Dirt comes]... from rocks and organic matter. The characteristics of the dirt depend on the weather, which rocks and where they are located, what kind of organic matter and how much time has elapsed." Guess what organic matter is? The decay of all different types of living things. So, it is conceivable that when God formed Adam, the matter, the dust, God used was a by-product of the theory of Evolution. The only problem I truly see with this logic, though, is that the human soul could not have evolved, because animals and plants don't have reasonable souls. Monkeys do not have rhetorical debates. My answer to this problem is that God's breathe is where the origin where our human souls come from.

Now, with regards to Eve, there truly is no way she was created by evolution. That I do believe because of what the Bible says. But, as I've already said, it is not the same case with Adam.

I don't exactly know how you are defining the "Big Bang theory" because I have always gone to Christian private schools and they never taught it to me, (which I really don't know if that's a bad thing or not). But, from what I gleamed from other sources, it is the idea that chemicals reacted, there was a big explosion, and *puff* everything was made. (Is that basically right?) I don't exactly know how that would contradict the Bible, for we, humans, were not there when all of this was going on (Moses was inspired to by God to make the Genesis account of Creation), so we truly have no idea how long it took to make the earth. So, depending on how one defines the "Big Bang" will determine whether it contradicts the Bible or not. (And, I know it can contradict the Bible)

Thus is my answer. Now, do I think that God created the universe via Evolution? He might have. It's possible, but not really probable because evolution was thought up by humans and humans are not infallible creatures. But, that is another topic.

I hoped that cleared some things up <(^_^)>  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm
You know Twilight, you have a good theory there. Makes sense. Not saying thats what I believe but it makes sense.  

squeakygirl
Captain

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

FillerBunny093

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:08 pm
Some history before I ask:
I was goth when I moved in with my overly religious grandmother. Eventually her ways got to me and I started going to church. Sadly, I don't speak Spanish so the church's message didn't get across. I stopped going, went on with life, graduated high school, went to work and met my future husband. He's goth/punk and not fond of following rules. Now I am pregnant, 1st child, and I want to change my ways/lifestyle to give her a better life. He disagrees with everything now and says it's my fault if we drift.

Now then..what does the bible say about:
Sleeping in the same bed before marriage
Sex before marriage
Seeing each other naked before marriage
Cursing
Music
Loving thy neighbor

I know it's a lot but it's what's giving me the most problems. I say what I know and I don't have the verses to back it up so arguments arise... crying please help. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:21 pm
FillerBunny093
I was goth when I moved in with my overly religious grandmother. Eventually her ways got to me and I started going to church. Sadly, I don't speak Spanish so the church's message didn't get across. I stopped going, went on with life, graduated high school, went to work and met my future husband. He's goth/punk and not fond of following rules. Now I am pregnant, 1st child, and I want to change my ways/lifestyle to give her a better life. He disagrees with everything now and says it's my fault if we drift.

Sex before marriage
Cursing
Music
Loving thy neighbor

I know it's a lot but it's what's giving me the most problems. I say what I know and I don't have the verses to back it up so arguments arise... crying please help. Thank you.

Fornication means: voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other.

The Bible says in 1 Thessalonians 4:3
For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication.

I found this link and its worth reading:
http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Bible.show/sVerseID/29607/eVerseID/29609
It takes a look at the above mentioned verse in more detail. I thought it was well put.

**I will get back to the cursing part once I get my study Bible from my car; I believe I actually have a verse marked about that.

As for Loving thy neigbhor; Leviticus 19:18 says:
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love they neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.  

squeakygirl
Captain

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

FillerBunny093

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:58 am
Ah, ok. My grandmother kind of gives me wish-washy answers that go nowhere and she doesn't help because she tells me " It doesn't matter anyway because you don't go to church." O_O  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:53 am
FillerBunny093

Sex before marriage
Cursing
Music
Loving thy neighbor

Cursing takes many forms. First of all, there's cursing by magick. Magick is power that comes from Satan, most often found in Wicca. Cursing by magick is the equivalent of giving a person "bad luck", illness, or a lack of money through stealing or some other means. Curses vary more than that, but that's a basic overview.

Any dealing with Satan is a major sin. Using magick is, therefore, a sin.

The other cursing, aka swearing, isn't really talked about too much in the Bible. But it is written:

Exodus 20:7

"You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God."

It is also written in the Gospels (though I don't have the exact verses) by Jesus:

"Do not swear by the heavens, for it is the Kingdom of God. And do not swear by the earth, for it is His foot stool."

"Do not mock the celestial beings. For even the angel Michael said to Satan 'the Lord rebuke you'"

These are pretty close to what is actually said, but I don't remember the exact verses. If that bugs you, I can always look them up for you.

So taking the Lord's name in vain is wrong. Mocking Satan, angels, or demons, or saying things like "Hell" in the wrong manner (misuse) is wrong. And swearing by heaven and/or earth is wrong too.

As for curse words like the "F" word and the "S" word, those really aren't prohibited in the Bible, specifically. They are cultural words. However, cursing of any type is wrong. For a more detailed idea on cursing, go to the book of James, chapter 3.

Sleeping in the same bed before marriage is not necessarily prohibited by the Bible, but it can lead to things that are. Seeing each other naked isn't really prohibited either, but again, it can lead to things. There is nothing wrong with being naked, seeing somebody else naked, or talking about sex. It is only when a person LUSTS that they are committing a sin. This includes thoughts of lusting and the act of sexual intercourse before marriage and adultery.

Another note: the Bible is silent on masturbation. However, it is almost always lusting and is, therefore, considered a sin. But if you are married and masturbating to your love and only your love, there is nothing wrong with that.

The Bible doesn't really prohibit types of music. But again, what would lead to sin? What would glorify Satan and not God? Any music is fine, but if the band is singing about demons dancing and about death and hell and stuff, or about having sex with lots of women, you probably want to avoid that. wink

Loving one's neighbor is a key point in the Bible. It is in the Old and New Testaments. Of course, loving your neighbor means loving all people, as Jesus explains in the Gospels. And 1 Corinthians 13 has a large part devoted to love.

I hope that answers all your questions. heart

And yes, it does matter, whether you go to church or not, because a sin is a sin whether you are a Christian or a non-believer. But remember, there is no sin that God cannot forgive except non-belief. God bless you.

*Huggle*

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:40 pm
Alright, I've been wondering about this for a while, so could I please get some insight from fellow Christians?
In the Old Testament, God says "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."
And in the New Testament, Jesus says to not abide by that, saying that "if one man takes your cloak, give him also your tunic."
They might not be the exact words, but which one do you listen to? The one in the Old Testament or the one in the New Testament? This has been confusing me for a while.
Thanks for reading.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:21 am
Good question. I will see what I can dig up.  

squeakygirl
Captain

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:17 pm
I have one more question...(sorry! sweatdrop ) Someone told me that God's real name is Jahova, (or Jahoba?) and I asked my dad who is a Christian, and he said all he knew was that he's heard of Jahova's witnesses or followers. I can't remember it exactly, but is any of this true?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:43 pm
To answer your question: follow the New Testament law. If you read the book of Hebrews, or some of Paul's letters, you discover that one of the many wonderful things about Christ's sacrifice is that we are not bound to the old Jewish law. That law was for the Jews, and only the Jews. Now that Christ has paid the ultimate price, made the ultimate sacrifice, we are not bound by that law.

When Jesus died for us, the curtain in the temple was torn. This was God's way of saying that any of us can now communicate with Him. Because God is a holy, loving God.

The temple was the holiest place in all Israel. The curtain was in the temple to separate the inner part of the temple from the Holy of Holies, a room made to represent where God communicated to Moses. It was also the place where the Ark of the Covenant was kept. No one was allowed in the Holy of Holies unless granted permission by God. It was said that entering the Holy of Holies if you were unclean or unworthy would kill you instantly.

The curtain was also torn to show that God had made all who believe in Him holy and righteous. He did this through His grace.

To answer your second question, all of the names God is given are real. The original name that the Jews gave Him was Yahweh. This is a name that Jews NEVER speak, for it is too holy, they say. We don't have to worry about that because Jesus died for our sins and the curtain was torn, bringing us closer to God. The name you speak of, Ijehovah, is another name given to God.

Ijehovah's Witnesses are people who believe in a false Bible. They need ministry as much as other non-believers.

But Ijehovah is not a bad name to call God. Another name that God has been called is Eli, or Eloi. He is also the Bread of Life, the Water of Life, the Vine, the Lamb, the Lion, a whole myriad of names and titles.

And don't apologize for asking. Feel free to ask anything you need! I can't guarantee any of us can answer every question, but we'll do our best.

God bless, precious sister. heart

*Huggles*  

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:00 pm
In fact, you sound like you need more answers than what you asked. Let me try and help you.

The name you said was Jehova. It is actually spelled Ijehovah.

Ijehovah's witnesses claim to be followers of Jesus and God, but they are not true followers. They follow a false Bible and have wrong teaching. Their teaching is wrong because they do not acknowledge facts about Jesus' life, like that He came back to life after He was crucified. We know that He did. But they do not believe that, nor do they teach it.

Christians have many titles. Some are baptists, presbyterians, lutherans, catholics, and so on. Christians fall under three categories: Catholics, Protestants, and Messianic Jews.

If those are weird, that's okay. Just remember that some Christians pray to the saints (holy people), and some don't. But they are all Christians.

This is what a Christian believes:

Jesus is both fully man and fully God. If that's confusing to you, don't worry. It confuses a lot of people. Basically, God did something that only God can do, and that was to come in human form to die for us. Christians must also believe that Jesus was crucified for our sins so that we could be made right with God and go to heaven, and they must believe that Jesus came back to life on the third day.

If you hear that somebody is called a Mormon, Ijehova's Witness (it sounds like Jehova), or a cultist, you know that this person is not a true Christian. Okay? But don't worry. God loves them too, and so should you.

*Huggles again*  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:20 pm
Oh, that answers a lot! 3nodding Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!
*hugs*  

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:43 pm
Alright, another question... sweatdrop
I'm opting to be baptized at my church but I have to go through Instruction (i'm almost positive that's what its called) first. Could anyone tell me what it's like?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:01 pm

Baptism is done by different churches in various ways.
I can only see instruction happening if you're Catholic. Catholics call it catechism. However, you may have a church that instructs young people before they get baptized because they normally only baptize adults.

You will find that some churches baptize only adults, that some baptize everyone, and that some churches, mainly Catholic, baptize babies.

As for what to expect, I imagine they just want to make sure you understand what baptism means, what it signifies and how significant of a commitment it is. 3nodding

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:23 am
Oh, thanks. Yes I am interesting in becoming Catholic, and the church I go to baptizes pretty much any age group. So I was just a little nervous. Thanks again! mrgreen (didn't mean to make it a shout bubble)  
Bible Questions and Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff