Welcome to Gaia! ::

-Art is Life- : The Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Drawing, Photography, Life, Arenas, Hangout 

Reply .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.//Main Forum//.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10 Steps to being a better artist Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sociometry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 pm
I love this list...so often I stop drawing becuase I get discouraged and feel like I'm just full of fail. This really helps to look at when I feel that way. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:14 am
ReNeGAde Pixels
Another thing to remember is to not be afraid to draw. Don't worry about messing up, it isn't a bad thing! When you mess up, what you did wrong will be registered in your brain to help avoid the same mistake next time. And NEVER (never ever ever) THROW YOUR ART AWAY! Doodles, screw-ups, everything should be kept. Even when you mess up big time don't draw an 'x' through it or crumple it up and throw it away. When you do that a part of your drawing spirit dies. Don't you have to admit everytime you do that you feel bad about your work? Don't do it! No matter how 'bad' it is there's always something good in it. You learn from it, too. When I screw something up in my sketchbook I hate it but the next day I look at it and say, "You know what? It isn't that bad". You find all the things you did RIGHT. Also, when you start a drawing it's best to finish it. Even if it's going not-so-great you should finish what you started.

I moved this recently and I got rid of a lot
but they WERE SO BAD like mutated stick people that I drew 7 yrs ago.
It still is sad though they can really bring you back rofl .
I have a whole drawer of a few half empty sketch book and piles and pile of paper with my drawings

Thats really good stuff I reading here. PPL READ THIS  

Zukkyun

Anti-Nami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:58 pm
wow, when i read your post it was just so inspiring to me. Since im just a beginner in drawing, i need tips in drawing. Usually i get inspired is when i read and write...and listen to music. Music helps alot...for me that is. Well if u want to critique my work u can, its in the art arena and it would be great help if u did. Im just so glad u gave those tips^^

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:13 am
Oh, this is very interesting. ^^
Thank you!

Celestiene

Thystle Thorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:59 pm
Lavi Deux
Another thing to remember is to not be afraid to draw. Don't worry about messing up, it isn't a bad thing! When you mess up, what you did wrong will be registered in your brain to help avoid the same mistake next time. And NEVER (never ever ever) THROW YOUR ART AWAY! Doodles, screw-ups, everything should be kept. Even when you mess up big time don't draw an 'x' through it or crumple it up and throw it away. When you do that a part of your drawing spirit dies. Don't you have to admit everytime you do that you feel bad about your work? Don't do it! No matter how 'bad' it is there's always something good in it. You learn from it, too. When I screw something up in my sketchbook I hate it but the next day I look at it and say, "You know what? It isn't that bad". You find all the things you did RIGHT. Also, when you start a drawing it's best to finish it. Even if it's going not-so-great you should finish what you started.

You are so right. I have stashes and piles and all sorts of crappy stuff from when I was young. I don't really like to look at the really bad stuff but some times it makes me gasp to see how far I've come. I do actually love every once in a while to look over my really old stuff from when I was really young. It always make me laugh. My favorite piece is one from when I was six or something. I lost it a while ago but I can always remember what it looked like. It was a picture of a girl (more like a stick figure with a T-shirt and hair drawn on) playing basket ball and there was a big blue line on the top, which was the sky, and a black line on the bottom for the ground. And for some reason I just think it's hilarious that I couldn't grasp at that time that they meet, there was just empty space between them! xd
I can always remember the specific epiphanies I've had about art, like when I realized there are no such things as outlines and that there's a horizon where the sky meets the ground... I still think it's really cool the way we interpret the world through sight. mrgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:40 am
I definately think all these points are true. I also think another should be Observe...really truely take the time to look at what your drawing..look at the detail, look at all the exact lines and shapes and textures...observe how people move and react if you're drawing them...just take the time to truely look.  

Shadow__Dweller

FeisuChan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:00 am
This is a fantastic post...It's so helpful to a beginning artist such as moi. Thank you so much =]  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:42 am
Wow I quite agree with all of the steps, good thing I keep them in check... the only thing that is killing me is probably the researching XD I really don't do often, but still do of course...  

Coco Kitty the Killer X

x_Just_Breathe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:10 pm
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:28 pm
im not good but her is some of my pieces User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image  

Tilt To The Side

11,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Finland-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:05 pm
hhmmm i can probably do all these steps except for #1
because i have so much to do with school and all,i do not have the time to just draw,draw,draw.
my friends say im good,but i think the only thing i am really good at drawing would be birds,thats probably because when i was little i would always observe birds and i would always know the names to them but otherwise that knowledge has seemed to escape my brain.
as i grow up i relize that you should always stay positive about life,towards people and towards your art and others art.never let words get you down because once they slip out you cant take them back,and they may hurt your art or someone elses art.another thing i have a problem with is getting inspired by something or just getting inspired.but so far the only thing i want to do is get a big canvas and splater paint all over it ^^ i take joy doing this.when i was little i took a piece of card board and splatered paint on it with a paint brush and when i was done i asked my mom what i should call it and she said it looked like thown up skittles so i named it that.hehe i still have it hanging on my wall.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:23 am
thank you for making this list it was really helpful  

thomlina

2,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200

DeliFang

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:41 pm
What a handy list, I even bookmarked this to keep as an encourager and reminder for art.  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:21 am
Very nice! ^^ I can already tell that all of thesde are true! ive kinda figured it out over the...two years that i've really started drawing, but I've improved...A LOT. So, people, these things actually work!! I'm still not that great, but I'm trying to improve everyday!
this is one of my more recent works. It's still a work in process, though. (it was taken with a crappy camera)
User Image  

BleedingInkXIII

angeloluha

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:15 pm
I'd like to add one more step.
I often see people ask for help with different things , but obiously in their question they don't do that : WATCHING .
It' really important watching things around , colors , lights and shadow, shapes ...
All is there and there are so much things to learn only this the eyes.  
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.//Main Forum//.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games