Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
But I am Canadian... so why add the Chinese part? *RANT* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is patriotism a good thing or a bad thing?
  Good.
  Bad.
View Results

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:27 am
Perhaps it could be taken, when people say "I'm Chinese-Canadian", that people are actually intergrating - at least they're saying the Canadian part, as opposed to saying they're just Chinese..

Quote:
By leaving, you have already given up your past and your history...

I disagree. Leaving a country in no way implies that you give up the customs and culture of that country.

You said somewhere that when you go somewhere you don't expect them to conform to your culture's traditions etc, but you're going as a guest; moving to another country, however, is like moving in with them - there's nothing which says that you can't carry on your own way of life from before.

You know, I don't really see the problem here sweatdrop

Quote:
This idea of Canada being a
multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity.

No, it hasn't. Well, I'm not Canadian and neither do I live in Canada, but I mean, it shouldn't. Ok, so Canadians aren't as patriotic compared to Americans, but hey, not many countries are. Canada doesn't and shouldn't have to live up to the "standard" set by its neighbour. And you can't expect people to arrive somewhere and just integrate overnight, either.. and you can't expect people to give up their national identity from their home country.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:11 pm
hmm.. well i was born in ontario too. >.< i usually refer to myself as chinese though. i don't bother saying i'm chinese-canadian. even though i was born here i'm still chinese and i'm proud to be one too. but i don't know i call myself yellow a lot. =3. but blah.. i have no idea what i said.  

[priscilla]

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:49 pm
@Niphredil: Well I agree, partial integration is better than no integration right? However, perhaps you're right with the part that leaving a country doesn't imply that you have to give up everything. The wording in my original point was rather strong. In retrospect, perhaps a small fragment of home isn't a bad thing. The problem with this is that as that since that small fragment brings comfort, instead of taking the high-ground and getting comfortable in the new yet different place. They try to rebuild by adding more fragments. This then encourages other people who share the same "fragment" to join... soon you have a community that doesn't seek to expand and integrate but remain together. Then we have the whole discrimination and segregation thing going.

You also have a good point about patriotism. It's not fair to make people give up their national identity but like I said above, there should be limits... when it stops being beneficial (for the whole society) it needs to stop. It's beneficial to bring a fragment with you, as it helps keep the person grounded while they integrate little-by-little... but like I said before, it quickly snow-balls out of hand. confused

@[priscilla]: I really don't understand how you can think that way, but you are entitled to your opinions. I'm not directing this to you personally, it's just that I find it rather depressing to think that there are those around us who enjoy all the benefits of being a Canadian while not feeling pride in that title. I don't know, it's just that there are those who would do anything to come to Canada to start a new life as a Canadian... away from prosecution, away from war, away from poverty. At the same time, right across the street, you have someone who has lived in Canada for their whole life and they don't even stop to appreciate how lucky they are. Sometimes, you don't know what you have 'till it's gone. confused  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:30 am
Of course, I agree that it's not good to just stick around with people of your own race and not mix with the people from the country, but I'm sure that in order to survive in a country you have to have some contact with them.. and you will meet them going to school, uni, work etc~

I dunno.. in general, I just don't think the problem is as serious as you make it out to be. *shrugs  

Niphredil Ithilmir

yalie5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:52 am
hmm... yes um... yea tamcharles you make veeeeeeeery long posts or maybe it just seems like it on my comp. and about this intergration thing. In theory (mine of course) all cultures have good and bad customs like new year's money or sacrificing a pure person to appease a blood thirsty war god. So I think it's best that we should take all the good parts of the cultures mix them together and throw away the insane parts. And on patriotism, americans have a little too much patriotism. we're bordering on nationalism. not exactly a good thing that is. anyways i really don't see that much of problem. and when tamcharles was talking about the small fragments and adding on to them i don't see a problem. people should just learn how to link all the fragments together. just because they're fragments doesn't neccessarily mean that they should be sperated also. and i think you've already explained it before ( am to lazy and busy to go back and read the big difference between opening a word oops sorry...) how is canada having the discrimination and segregation thing going?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:40 am
Quote:
all cultures have good and bad customs

But how do you tell the difference? One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, as they say. What might be accepted by some won't be by others. It's not all black and white, you know..  

Niphredil Ithilmir

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:52 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir
Quote:
all cultures have good and bad customs

But how do you tell the difference? One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, as they say. What might be accepted by some won't be by others. It's not all black and white, you know..
That's very true and vividly outlines reasons that we need to step away from ethnocentric views and try to look at the big picture from all angles... and that's not easy.

@Yalie5: Heh... yeah I do make long posts... I like to hear myself talk... or rather read myself type (?) rolleyes

Anyways... you're rigth about fragmentation not being a bad thing, the bad thing is that people don't "link them together" if anything, they make the fragments harder to link together. I don't really understand that last line in your last post... I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Sorry. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:00 pm
I was asking how people are being segregated in canada.
@niph surprised h yeah... I'll figure out something...  

yalie5

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:03 pm
You're right, it's not easy at all.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:18 pm
yalie5
I was asking how people are being segregated in canada.
@niph surprised h yeah... I'll figure out something...
It's explained in the first post of this thread. 3nodding

@Niphredil: Heh... well sometimes I get bored and like to start some fires of discussion. But remember, I'm not half as concerned about the topics as I lead people to believe. I honestly don't mean half the stuff I say. So I'm sorry if I offended anyone. wink  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:30 pm
Alright~ 3nodding

You had me worried for a while there >.<  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:38 pm
Niphredil Ithilmir