Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm a bad Atheist. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:50 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
atheism makes no statements about ghosts - only deities.
Define 'deitie'.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 am
Uh, well.
Not all atheists care about religion, but some reject it and stuff.
But atheism is just not believing in a religious belief about the world, right?
But..I'm a bad atheist for believing in ghosties?
I mean, I sued to go on youtube and watch all the ghost movies and stuff, but now it's like....
It feels like I don't care anymore (about ghosts).  

Missuhs Bunneh

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:53 am
Rilian
Daffodil the Destroyer
atheism makes no statements about ghosts - only deities.
Define 'deitie'.
User Image

de·i·ty [dee-i-tee]
–noun, plural -ties.
1. a god or goddess.
2. divine character or nature, esp. that of the Supreme Being; divinity.
3. the estate or rank of a god: The king attained deity after his death.
4. a person or thing revered as a god or goddess: a society in which money is the only deity.
5. the Deity, God; Supreme Being.
[Origin: 1250–1300; ME deite < OF < LL deitāt- (s. of deitās), equiv. to L dei- (comb. form of deus god) + -tāt- -ty, formed after L dīvīnitās divinity]

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:01 pm
Hahaha! Compared to me your the PERFECT atheist. So no worries. PM me if you want to know how bad of an atheist I am.  

Dirty Dirty Shisno

Tornado_Creator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:03 pm
Xiporah
I snored through three chapters of the God Delusion before giving it up. I didn't understand most of it.

I avoid talking to religious types about their religion or my lack thereof.

I've never read the bible. I don't want to. I don't even want one in my house.

I've never made a well informed decision about Atheism. Too much effort. I kinda just...never thought any other way.

I used to listen to Point of Inquery podcasts, and it all made sense while they were talking, but I retained about -.005% of the information therein.

Offensive Anti-religious humor makes me laugh hysterically.

Yeah. I give Atheists a bad name.

Sorry about that. emo

You're not a bad atheist, you're just someone who isn't deluded by obvious fairy tales who happens to have a low attention span when people are trying to prove/disprove the invisible friends of the moron masses. It doesn't make you a bad atheist, it just makes you human really...

...after all, if we called people who believed in unicorns unicist, I would be a anunicist because I don't believe in unicorns, but I don't give anywhere near a s**t enough to debate with the idiots that do believe in them. I would just sit back, point and laugh at them for being morons. Doesn't make me a bad anunicist.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:07 pm
Rilian
IMO, someone who believes in anything supernatural is a bad atheist.

Not quite, anyone who believes in anything supernatural without some compelling evidence still unexplained by mundane reasoning is a bad atheist.

I have no issue with people believing in a conspiracy theory for example if they have only seen certain evidence and have had misinformation. Many of them are quite compelling, especially the ones surrounding the twin towers collapse, which although I haven't looked into in great detail I consider the conspiracy theory to hold some validity. I don't accept it as truth, but I don't dismiss it because they have some compelling arguments.  

Tornado_Creator

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:25 pm
Tornado_Creator
Rilian
IMO, someone who believes in anything supernatural is a bad atheist.

Not quite, anyone who believes in anything supernatural without some compelling evidence still unexplained by mundane reasoning is a bad atheist.
By the definition of supernatural, it is beyond any explanation.

What I really meant was people who believe outrageous things without serious evidence are bad atheists.

When my beliefs could hurt other people, I don't believe anything without getting direct confirmation.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 pm
Tornado_Creator
Xiporah
I snored through three chapters of the God Delusion before giving it up. I didn't understand most of it.

I avoid talking to religious types about their religion or my lack thereof.

I've never read the bible. I don't want to. I don't even want one in my house.

I've never made a well informed decision about Atheism. Too much effort. I kinda just...never thought any other way.

I used to listen to Point of Inquery podcasts, and it all made sense while they were talking, but I retained about -.005% of the information therein.

Offensive Anti-religious humor makes me laugh hysterically.

Yeah. I give Atheists a bad name.

Sorry about that. emo

You're not a bad atheist, you're just someone who isn't deluded by obvious fairy tales who happens to have a low attention span when people are trying to prove/disprove the invisible friends of the moron masses. It doesn't make you a bad atheist, it just makes you human really...

...after all, if we called people who believed in unicorns unicist, I would be a anunicist because I don't believe in unicorns, but I don't give anywhere near a s**t enough to debate with the idiots that do believe in them. I would just sit back, point and laugh at them for being morons. Doesn't make me a bad anunicist.
Hmm. Well I DO have ADHD...

Xiporah

Zekeachu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:06 pm
You sound like me, I've never even heard of that book. And if it's something that you can get bored of after three chapters, I don't want to read it. I suppose that you'd have to be bad at being an Atheist, to be a bad one. .__.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:38 pm
Actually, the Bible is pretty interesting when you read the old testament as symbolic fiction, and if can look past the 50% bullshit ratio in the new testament (courtesy of the Catholic Church), the philosophy of Jesus is worth reading into, if not just for philosophy's sake.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:45 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Actually, the Bible is pretty interesting when you read the old testament as symbolic fiction, and if can look past the 50% bullshit ratio in the new testament (courtesy of the Catholic Church), the philosophy of Jesus is worth reading into, if not just for philosophy's sake.
User Image

Agreed. I still read the Bible now and then, because it's pretty interesting.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:52 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Only if you are remotely interested in philosophy or Jesus. It's like trying to get a stereotypical bookworm to put down a good book and watch a football game.

Xiporah

Asterisk07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:05 pm
Lyoko_Alchemist
Rilian
IMO, a bad atheist would be one who believes in ghosts and stuff.

Daffodil said it Ghosts aren't gods thus if we choose it we may believe in their spooky-ness if need be.

however wouldent ghosts and such fenomina be related to souls, thus believing in an afterlife(relates to gods)  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:28 pm
Asterisk07
Lyoko_Alchemist
Rilian
IMO, a bad atheist would be one who believes in ghosts and stuff.

Daffodil said it Ghosts aren't gods thus if we choose it we may believe in their spooky-ness if need be.

however wouldent ghosts and such fenomina be related to souls, thus believing in an afterlife(relates to gods)
User Image

Well, if there were to be an afterlife, who says it has to have anything to do with gods?

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:12 am
Tornado_Creator

User Image

I believe in unicorns emo .

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas