Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
I just sent a blasting pm to Lanzer about... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

any comments from the over baby crowd?
  hmm?
View Results

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:57 am
As to the last post- the users made Gaia what it is and we can destroy it too. Start on other websites badmouthing Gaia and see what happens, people.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 pm
Lanzer can tear us down? xd Total bullshit. I'm afraid that even if he wanted to, his CEO and board wouldn't allow it or they would seize power o.o;  

churrlo

XxDEMINIONxX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:05 pm
at I think is most insane is that they money comes from us adults, we fund thier dreams by purchasing thier items for years, and then the cash cards gave the teens the ability to purchase it too- increasing a financial stability, but overpowering gaia's real needs and catering to the youth's popular demand. and there are some intelligent teens on here- I have no means to bash all of them. but if gaia doesn't clean up thier act sooner or later, I will stop buying gaia cash, and I suggest every other sane adult do the same. without the funding of the adults, they can only rely on who they aim to please now, the youth. and how big can a 13 year olds wallet really be?
to make a difference, we have to go beyond speaking out, we have to do something in a drastic way, like protest by not purchasing anything from gaia or it's affiliates for a month. it's not a "show them who's boss" thing, but more so a "listen to the people who made you" thing.
I've been on gaia for years under many names, and I have watched it go to (slang term used or feces). it's unfortunate, and if it weren't for my love of pixelated clothes and intelligent conversation [ which is also becoming rare!] I would have been gone a long time ago.
anyone agree?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:50 pm
Sheriff Dustin
want me to list out all the problems of the admins. here are some:

1. lanzer only cares about money not the community
2. windowopener is rude
3. lanzer pulled in mtv
4. admins are refusing to tell us the ew update on the guilds called broadcasting

if you want more reply saying "want more"

1. What MN said
2. Last I checked, he is a site moderator, not an admin... Which means
that untrue, badgering, statement doesnt even fit in your list.
3. What?
4. At least they released that it is somewhere along the lines of mass pms.

forever_87
at I think is most insane is that they money comes from us adults, we fund thier dreams by purchasing thier items for years, and then the cash cards gave the teens the ability to purchase it too- increasing a financial stability, but overpowering gaia's real needs and catering to the youth's popular demand. and there are some intelligent teens on here- I have no means to bash all of them. but if gaia doesn't clean up thier act sooner or later, I will stop buying gaia cash, and I suggest every other sane adult do the same. without the funding of the adults, they can only rely on who they aim to please now, the youth. and how big can a 13 year olds wallet really be?
to make a difference, we have to go beyond speaking out, we have to do something in a drastic way, like protest by not purchasing anything from gaia or it's affiliates for a month. it's not a "show them who's boss" thing, but more so a "listen to the people who made you" thing.
I've been on gaia for years under many names, and I have watched it go to (slang term used or feces). it's unfortunate, and if it weren't for my love of pixelated clothes and intelligent conversation [ which is also becoming rare!] I would have been gone a long time ago.
anyone agree?

I, as a 16 year old, agree. Its so crazy, I thought I was being spoiled
by getting a cell phone when I was a freshmen in highschool... Now
4th graders are walking around with them eek .

I thought I saw an announcement that gaiaonline was featured in some
magazine or bureu... It was a announcement. Why not all of the adults
go to that company and complain? It may cost an interview for ya guys,
but well worth it. To put things simple; Magazine authors dont like to know
that their information is misleading. dramallama

Everybody:
People should not be afraid of leaders, leaders should be afraid of their
people. Everything on the internet works like a store; supply and demand.
Which means mamarita is completely right,

mamarita
the users made Gaia what it is and we can destroy it too.

If we go to sites giving our feedback on gaiaonline, do you really think
someones going to want to go to a site where immature punks are going
around cybering each other... neutral All it takes is one internet report to
go through... Then it's investigated....

If you think about it in a legal way; they say that their not responsible
for the terms of services rules being broken... But cybering is sexual
activity, they would have to close it to peeps under 18.

Thats what I think about all this anyways...

pheonix20222

pheonix20222

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:01 pm
Did lanzer ever get back to ya yet, Mamarita?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:28 am
Rita, I'm about in the same boat.

Honestly, I could care less about the; fish tanks, cars, random boxes and everything. The only things keeping me interested in this site at all are the fact a few of my friends come here. (Very few now, that the site is set for teeny boppers.)

Somehow I know it's all about the money, and that has changed everything. I don't really spend much time on here anymore. I have about 5-10 friends who still actively use gaiaonline I think.

I think it is about time that all of those involved with Gaia Online, speak up and explain why the site is going downhill like it is. (It's really sad.)

Just wait until the site crosses the lines with the chans. I know there's a bit of a feud between some channers and Gaia. (It was slightly ignited with the "epic fail" stuff.)

One day the wrong meme will be used here, and then who knows what'll happen.

As for the cybering, I think that Gaia should really do something about that. Not to mention the bots who repeat the same thing over and over in towns.  

Mishikotoko

Dirteh Old Man

Aged Member

7,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:31 am
mamarita
As to the last post- the users made Gaia what it is and we can destroy it too. Start on other websites badmouthing Gaia and see what happens, people.

I honestly don't believe we can destroy it anymore. Gaia is past the point of no return for us in my opinion. We had it until 2006. Now it belongs to what we now see Gaia is catering too, the same people you mentioned who own it now - the 13 to 17 year olds.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:19 pm
How is gaiaonline funded? (other than people buying gaia cash)
People buying gaia cash couldnt possibly pay for the admins and devs
salary... Could it? And what about the people who arent on gaia, but
work for them... (unless having an account is a requirement for
employment)...
A good example of people who arent on but work for gaia could be their
accountant/ secretary (the person doing the pay-roll).

With the market crash in the US, do you think that will effect their income..

lol
>

pheonix20222

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:03 am
pheonix20222
How is gaiaonline funded? (other than people buying gaia cash)
People buying gaia cash couldnt possibly pay for the admins and devs
salary... Could it? And what about the people who arent on gaia, but
work for them... (unless having an account is a requirement for
employment)...
A good example of people who arent on but work for gaia could be their
accountant/ secretary (the person doing the pay-roll).

With the market crash in the US, do you think that will effect their income..

lol
>

Please, you can pay a 'lowly' admin £12,000 ($24,000 give or take), any basic company can master that. Most of the Mods and such are volunteers so not a problem.

Gaia must get at least $50,000 a month from donations. At the very least!

Most of Gaia's revenue is from sponsors and such, so there is no GOOD reason why they shouldn't be in the black.

PL  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:38 pm
oh  

pheonix20222

Nikolita

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:11 am
Mishikotoko
Rita, I'm about in the same boat.

Honestly, I could care less about the; fish tanks, cars, random boxes and everything. The only things keeping me interested in this site at all are the fact a few of my friends come here. (Very few now, that the site is set for teeny boppers.)

Somehow I know it's all about the money, and that has changed everything. I don't really spend much time on here anymore. I have about 5-10 friends who still actively use gaiaonline I think.

I think it is about time that all of those involved with Gaia Online, speak up and explain why the site is going downhill like it is. (It's really sad.)

Just wait until the site crosses the lines with the chans. I know there's a bit of a feud between some channers and Gaia. (It was slightly ignited with the "epic fail" stuff.)

One day the wrong meme will be used here, and then who knows what'll happen.

As for the cybering, I think that Gaia should really do something about that. Not to mention the bots who repeat the same thing over and over in towns.

Here's the thing. Speaking as someone who's been on Gaia since 2004, and who was a mod for 2 years, Gaia is a business now. They have free items and the site is still touted as a free site, but like many other gaming/forum websites, you have to pay to get the good stuff. It means people like myself who can't/won't pay for Gaia Cash are left out, and it's the main reason why I've stopped coming on Gaia except for my guild.

I too miss the days when Gaia was a completely free site, minus the MC's. I know the feeling very well.

Unfortunately, I don't think speaking up will do much good. You can of course try, but I don't think it will do much. Gaia is a business - they know that some customers are going to be unhappy and leave, but there will always more people to take their place.

As for 4chan, they're harmless. I remember 4chan raids back when I modded and a handful of mods working together was always enough to combat whatever the 4channers tried to throw at us. It was really kinda pathetic.

On a final note re: cybering and botting, Gaia knows. Gaia admin and mods are very, very, very aware of both issues, despite what the Gaia community seems to think. It's because the problem is so widespread and hard to stop, and there's not enough mods to handle the bots. Steps have been taken but there's just so many bots it's really hard to keep up. As for the cybering, mods handle that as they see it or as it's reported to them. That's what the report system is for. I'd like to see a heavier penalty for stupid users who cyber rather than Gaians ragging on the mods for not doing a better job. If the mod situation is the same as when I left, their resources are stretched very thin. They're doing the best that they can.

Also, comments like the ones I've seen in this thread about the mods are not appropriate. If you have an example of real genuine mod abuse, like a mod told you to ******** off or called you an idiot or something, then report that to an admin. Real mod abuse is taken seriously. But otherwise, you don't have much of a leg to stand on. Maybe the mod was a little snappy or a little sarcastic, but given what mods put up with from users on a daily basis (in short: A LOT), it happens sometimes. They do the best they can but users often forget that they're human too, with thoughts and feelings, and they can get frustrated when dealing with some users. Lord knows I wanted to tell users many times where they could go and how they could get there, but of course I couldn't.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:12 am
Sheriff Dustin, if you (or anyone else) sees me behave rudely, I’d love to hear from you via PM. 3nodding I don’t remember meeting you, but if I was rude to you, please message me. ^^

I agree with Nikolita on all of this, also with two years' mod experience. Gaia’s growing, which makes it harder to strike the balance on a free and developing user experience, and making a profit. Lanzer has said that running Gaia costs in excess of $1.5 million per month, so of course there will be people looking for ways to monetise features. They won’t always get it right – they’re only adults, after all – but I think they’re trying, and they continue to take onboard incredible volumes of feedback. It’s not in their interests, either, to jeopardise the user experience (such as with too many sponsorships). I’m not happy with the increasing amounts of Cash items, either, but Gaia remains unique in its scope and quality of free features. The vast majority of Gaia's users never use real money on the site.

On Rita’s points that Gaia focuses too much on its younger users and doesn’t keep promises – I’m with you part of the way in disagreeing with how the staff have prioritised some things. There are dozens and dozens of features that have been released that were not as eagerly anticipated as Battle (now zOMG!) and GGN3. As far as Battle goes, I think that’s just an unbelievably huge project, and I think the admins want that to come out as much as the users do. With GGN3, my views on how that has been delayed and delayed and delayed will be familiar to many people already. >< Lanzer has said that he is personally involved in the project, though, and from the way it is being discussed (even though it is still remarkably in planning stages), it may become an ambitious and major upgrade of Guilds.

While Gaia becomes more business-oriented, I'm sure it has people advising it on what features to prioritise and which demographics to target. At the time of the Quest system, and the release of Starter clothing sets, the current site layout, amongst other releases, there are waves of feedback in SF accusing Gaia of pushing features that appeal to new users, at the expense of developing features that older uses have requested, and sometimes petitioned for, and sometimes even been promised. It may be that targeting new users provides more secure revenue because existing users will leave slower than new ones arrive. Maybe growth of the user base has been a specific major priority of the business. Either way, it's a question of balancing, and even those on the inside - from Lanzer and fin down - never claim to have gotten it perfect.

Overall I think you’d need to be pretty bitter to genuinely believe the admins are not leading with the site’s best interests at heart. The problem is that many of their goals – the survival of the business, and continual, ambitious development – are in conflict with each other. It is not an easy balancing act to keep a business/community as massive as Gaia profitable and fun and free. Being bitter and blasting the leaders isn’t helpful, and those of us who want to call ourselves Gaia’s ‘mature’ users should be as active as we can in giving constructive feedback, rather than questioning the admins’ commitment to their own site.  

WindowOpener

PiercedPixie2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:28 pm
Kuramasan
gaia is kinda like a monster though.
It was created with all good intentions, but it can't truely be controlled.
It's too far gone.
That's what I fear.

I fear they will regress to a G site, like Neopets eek
After all, 'adults dont play on computers' Is the stigma, but i dont have enough hands to count how many people i am friends with on this site that are 35+  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:45 pm
PiercedPixie2
Kuramasan
gaia is kinda like a monster though.
It was created with all good intentions, but it can't truely be controlled.
It's too far gone.
That's what I fear.

I fear they will regress to a G site, like Neopets eek
After all, 'adults dont play on computers' Is the stigma, but i dont have enough hands to count how many people i am friends with on this site that are 35+

I was actually fearing the oposite... What if they made it an R site....
LoL, for the record, my mom plays neopets all the time rofl

pheonix20222

Dirteh Old Man

Aged Member

7,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:02 am
I'm with with phoenix on that one. With certain items like Alruna's Rose and Snoop Dogg's Girls (the celebrity snare item), I was kinda wondering they were going with the site. I personally don't mind how it goes as I'll still talk to my friends all the same, but was just curious.  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff