Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Why are you atheist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:13 pm
KuroFur
I don't agree with the religious's views, but I'm not going to disrespect them to the point of calling them crazy, deluded sheep, moronic followers, or schitzophrentic.

I wouldn't call it disrespect.... It's more like "tough love." 4laugh

Why do you think their crazy, moronic, deluded assertions deserve respect? If someone told you, with all the sincerity in their heart that they believed that 1 + 1 = 5, would you respect their opinion? If they had explanations for why they think that 1+1=5, even though you could see that they were very poor and false rationalizations, would you respect their reasons? If they told you that 1+1=5 gives meaning to their life and they couldn't bear to live without the understanding they have gotten from believing in it... would you show them more respect? How much respect would you give to their view, if any... and why? What's the point in giving respect to such assertions? Does it help them to let them think that you think what they think is acceptable?
You don't have to post answers for those by the way... It's just rhetorical anyhow.

But I can see how it's easy to confuse the act of disrespecting an idea with disrespecting a person. I'm all for name calling when it comes to ideas, opinions, assertions, and beliefs. If it hurts someone's feelings that I've disrespected their idea, I have no sympathy at all for them. It's their mistake that they've confused a slander of their idea with an attack on themselves. If someone did truly get upset with me after calling them crazy for believing that crap, I'd try to help them see that I don't think they are morons in other areas of their life. blaugh That is, if they deserve that kind of respect.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:45 pm
Edi Gammon
KuroFur
I don't agree with the religious's views, but I'm not going to disrespect them to the point of calling them crazy, deluded sheep, moronic followers, or schitzophrentic.

Why do you think their crazy, moronic, deluded assertions deserve respect? If someone told you, with all the sincerity in their heart that they believed that 1 + 1 = 5, would you respect their opinion? If they had explanations for why they think that 1+1=5, even though you could see that they were very poor and false rationalizations, would you respect their reasons? If they told you that 1+1=5 gives meaning to their life and they couldn't bear to live without the understanding they have gotten from believing in it... would you show them more respect? How much respect would you give to their view, if any... and why? What's the point in giving respect to such assertions? Does it help them to let them think that you think what they think is acceptable?
You don't have to post answers for those by the way... It's just rhetorical anyhow.

But I can see how it's easy to confuse the act of disrespecting an idea with disrespecting a person. I'm all for name calling when it comes to ideas, opinions, assertions, and beliefs. If it hurts someone's feelings that I've disrespected their idea, I have no sympathy at all for them. It's their mistake that they've confused a slander of their idea with an attack on themselves. If someone did truly get upset with me after calling them crazy for believing that crap, I'd try to help them see that I don't think they are morons in other areas of their life. blaugh That is, if they deserve that kind of respect.

Have you ever heard someone explain to an entire crowd how Jesus has saved their life?
Ever hear several people do it?
After that expierence, and talking to the mentioned youth pastor for two hours, I accept that these people have devoted their life to this cause.
Their life. They honestly believe in what they are saying.
Even though they knew I was atheist, they still prayed for me to live a good life, and be saved.

Anyway, after attending a week-long church camp twice, talking to that pastor, and the like, I can't say I can go up to someone and completely disregard their beliefs and their life by saying "Well, I know that you believe you'll go to heaven for leading a good life and helping people, but I think that idea is the most moronic, proof-less (you have to love my grammar) thing I've ever heard.

I know there are idiots out there... like those fundamentalists peoples.
The people who are just trying to help others, who tell you that they hope you find christ so you don't suffer, why do that to them?  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

deactivatedfedcba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:47 pm
My parents and family have never been religious, and quite simply, I just have no idea why I should believe in any one particular god. I mean, there are so many out there, why should I think any of them are real? That's... pretty much all.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:35 pm
KuroFur
Edi Gammon
KuroFur

Have you ever heard someone explain to an entire crowd how Jesus has saved their life?
After that expierence, and talking to the mentioned youth pastor for two hours, I accept that these people have devoted their life to this cause.
Even though they knew I was atheist, they still prayed for me to live a good life, and be saved.

Anyway, after attending a week-long church camp twice, talking to that pastor, and the like, I can't say I can go up to someone and completely disregard their beliefs and their life by saying "Well, I know that you believe you'll go to heaven for leading a good life and helping people, but I think that idea is the most moronic, proof-less (you have to love my grammar) thing I've ever heard.

The people who are just trying to help others, who tell you that they hope you find christ so you don't suffer, why do that to them?
User Image

I used to believe in all that stuff just as those people you mentioned. I also used to try just as hard to "save people's souls." When I realized how ill-founded and silly my beliefs were, and the associated prejudices... I counted myself rather fortunate. If only more people would at least take a look at why they believe these things... at the very least they'd have a more honest and hopefully less bigoted view of theirs and others' beliefs.

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:25 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
KuroFur
Edi Gammon
KuroFur

User Image

I used to believe in all that stuff just as those people you mentioned. I also used to try just as hard to "save people's souls." When I realized how ill-founded and silly my beliefs were, and the associated prejudices... I counted myself rather fortunate. If only more people would at least take a look at why they believe these things... at the very least they'd have a more honest and hopefully less bigoted view of theirs and others' beliefs.

User Image

(I havent' had any electricity for over a week... the library computers are wonderful.)

So you're saying what? What am I to think of the person who, even though I am not of their religion and quite frankly don't believe what they're telling me, still wants me to go to heaven and find salvation?
That's very silly in your view?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:44 pm
But how quickly we forget
Such a sure and perfect plan,
And unlearn the passions that once had burned.

I actually don't know how I became an atheist. I used to think I had two religions, because my mom was Christian and my dad was Jewish and we celebrated two sets of holidays. (Primarily for the purpose of giving/getting presents, of course.) But sometime, I realized that to be religious meant to go to church and actually believe in some kind of god. I had actually asked my mom what it was like to "say prayers before going to bed", and she told me all about religious praying stuff, which didn't make any sense to me at all! I thought, "Hang on a minute. I'm nonreligious. I don't commit to any kind of religion at all. I just like getting presents." Then there was some time when I came across the word "atheist", and learned that it meant a person who didn't believe in god. I started out at the "Well, I wouldn't say that..." stage, but as I learned more, I began to trust religion even less, until... here I am, atheist and proud!

But how could I have seen?
What was I to do?
How could I know I would find you?
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

Elanchana

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:24 pm
KuroFur
Daffodil the Destroyer
User Image

User Image

(I havent' had any electricity for over a week... the library computers are wonderful.)

So you're saying what? What am I to think of the person who, even though I am not of their religion and quite frankly don't believe what they're telling me, still wants me to go to heaven and find salvation?
That's very silly in your view?
User Image

Wow, I never noticed this reply before. Oops. sweatdrop

And yes, I still think they're silly. Many of them pretend to care about saving people's souls because their pastor tells them that it's their job, and almost all of them (around here, at least) are at least somewhat belligerent and annoying about it. Sure, some of them are sincere about it, but why should sincerity make me think they're any less silly? The sincerity is nice, and makes me think that they're good, caring people, but it doesn't make me agree with their beliefs any more, or make me think that their dogma is any less ridiculous.

User Image  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces