Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
God exists; YOU are the deluded one Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can God microwave a burrito so hot that He Himself cannot hold in His palm?
  Yes, he is so great that he can do contradictory things
  No, that's an illogical question that can't be taken seriously
  Ummm, Dude... God's a chick
View Results

i theta

Phantom

10,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:22 pm
1. Common sense.

2. Really? Are you assuming that? I don't like assumers, and quite frankly, you're wrong. Talk about something you actually understand! (oops.....got a little heated there >_< )

3. Earth's not perfect. Never will be perfect.

4. Nobody know. Yet.

5. I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just don't beleive what they believe

6. No. Maybe they said it for attention, or because they're just simply deluded. I'm not calling them liars, maybe they were just mistaken.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:00 pm
1- Atheists have no morals because they have nowhere to turn to to get their morals

We have morals~
And we get our morals from common sense and the environments we grow up in.

2- Atheists believe life is meaningless because we arose with no cause

=/. I can't say that life really has a single meaning, but I know that there's more to it than eat, sleep, have sex, and die; there are a lot of things that people do to enjoy life, so maybe enjoying life is its meaning..?

3- The universe is so perfectly designed. The earth is so perfectly positioned for life so that life can actually live on earth without freezing or burning to death. It all just works out too perfectly. Someone must've made it like that

Nope~
Basically.
We are the way we are because we are the way we are.
Look around at all the other planets, and notice, they have no life on them, so if you think about it, even though the odds of a planet existing just like earth are slim, we can see that that's exactly what happened.
The odds of a planet like earth are very slim indeed, which is why there's only one (as far as we know).

4- Nothing can only come from nothing; so where did this first something come from? How?

Who said there was ever nothing?
I think it's that at first there was only energy, and energy's conversion to mass (through e=mc^2) shows that energy and mass can be converted into one another.
And if you're super bent on insisting there was nothing.
One could say that "nothingness" is unstable, which keeps doing stuff that unstable stuff does until it becomes a piece of stable matter.

5- A great majority of people believe in God. Do you really think they're ALL wrong?

Yes =].

6- What about all those people who claim that they can feel God's presence and can actually converse with him? Are you calling them all liars?

Liars.
Or just people that have been convinced that they do hear god =/.

[The Looney Bin]

Missuhs Bunneh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:24 am
1- I have my morals, because I wouldn't do something that O wouldn't want done to myself. If you shoot, expect to be shot back, right?

2- Life is for living, I don't think there is any other reason to do so.

3- It's not perfectly designed xD You can only live in certain parts of the world for so long without dieing xD

4- It doesn't matter. Whatever it is, it isn't worth worshiping.

5- Yes. I believe people see what they want to see, and many have yet to break that habit.

6- No, it is true to them, but they can't prove it to anyone else, because it's a personal experience. Also, refer to the answer to question 5 biggrin

That was pretty fun, thanks for putting it up :3  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:23 am
D i v i n i t y
Okay, well I don't actually believe in any sort of god(s) whatsoever. I'm just curious as to how some of you, guild members, would answer the following questions. I'm going to just throw some arguments at you guys. I'm just curious... I want to see the different and similar defenses/arguments/points of view. I, myself, have had some of these arguments thrown at me before but most of them are just arguments I've heard somewhere before or read somewhere. I have my own answers to them but I would like to see other people's answers. You don't have to answer EVERY question if you don't want to but I would just like to see some responses if that's not too much to ask. :]

Basically, how would you respond to these questions/ statements?

OK, I'll give it a go.

D i v i n i t y
1- Atheists have no morals because they have nowhere to turn to to get their morals

I get my morals from personal experiences and opinions based on how I feel in certain situations, how I perceive the world and how my actions effect the world around me. The existence of magical sky daddy has no baring on morality and anyone claiming to get their morality from the god of the more mainstream religions is someone I consider highly immoral having read the Bible and Qu'ran. People claim atheist have no morals, I claim that Christians, Jews and Muslims have sick, twisted and barbaric morals.

D i v i n i t y

Actually I give my life meaning by giving it a purpose. If you can't think of a purpose for your life, then true, your life is meaningless.

D i v i n i t y
3- The universe is so perfectly designed. The earth is so perfectly positioned for life so that life can actually live on earth without freezing or burning to death. It all just works out too perfectly. Someone must've made it like that

Those are two rather poor jumps of non-logic. First of all, perfect is a human concept that indicates a purpose. First to must have reason to believe that their is a purpose. Maybe life and earth is a glorious by product of an entirely different purpose or more likely, maybe the universe has no purpose. To say something is perfect, it must be purposeful, the universe hasn't been shown to be that. Secondly, why exactly does something being perfect have to have been made? You make this claim without backing it up. Show why a perfect thing requires design and then I will accept at least that half of the statement.

D i v i n i t y
4- Nothing can only come from nothing; so where did this first something come from? How?

I don't know...
PS: This doesn't mean that "God did it". Just because I don't know how it happened doesn't mean your imaginary friend is immediately the correct answer.

D i v i n i t y
5- A great majority of people believe in God. Do you really think they're ALL wrong?

Yes.

D i v i n i t y
6- What about all those people who claim that they can feel God's presence and can actually converse with him? Are you calling them all liars?

Some of them, yes. Some of them lie to us. Some of them lie to themselves as well. More likely however is that they're brainwashed or deluded somehow into believing what they claim because it's more emotionally comfortable for them. Comfort is easy and often truth is uncomfortable, even painful.

D i v i n i t y
That is all. I know that some of these arguments are fairly easy to shoot down since they're pretty poor arguments, but I never said I agree with any of the statements. I just think they're arguments and I want to see how people respond to them. 3nodding

Well, I hope you like my answers. I think you'll find them to be slightly less respectful and rather blunt variants of the standard answers to these questions.  

Tornado_Creator

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:23 am
Quote:

I would ask them how they explain how basic morals (killing, stealing, lying, etc. are bad) stretch across different cultures, religions, and time periods.
Also, in order for them to judge that the bible is moral they must already have morals by which to judge the bible.

Quote:

Well obviously we couldn't exist without cause. What caused us to come into existence is the slow, gradual process of evolution. Besides, it's not the beginning or end that gives our life meaning, it's the process.

Quote:

Through the process of evolution, we were able to adapt to our surroundings. And the universe is not perfect! If the universe were to be perfect, then why do we have birth defects? Why do we have degenerative diseases? Why are we defenseless against tiny organisms too small to see?

Quote:

I could ask the same thing about an intelligent creator.

Quote:

Centuries ago a great majority of people believed the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth, and they were wrong.

Quote:

It's called misinterpretation of a sensation. Meditation on nature can cause the same response.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:55 pm

NO. NO. JUST NO. This is what I hate most about people who don't understand atheists. We DO have somewhere to turn to get our morals. It's called REALITY!!! I don't need a 2,000-year-old zombie "God" to tell me what to do... in fact, some religions tell their followers to kill all unbelievers, WHY? Life has taught me that all people are people and no one deserves to be killed or hated just for their opinions (unless they try to force those opinions on other people), something religion could never do. Someone being good just to get into a heaven that probably doesn't exist is not really good; they just pretend to be.

Is there anything wrong with giving meaning to your own life? Ambitions, wishes, goals... you can choose your own path and your own meaning. You don't necessarily need to be born with an arrow over your head that says "THIS PERSON IS HERE FOR THIS REASON". It's called discovering yourself.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. I know, the chances are one in five bazillion that life could arise so perfectly on a planet like it has on earth. But guess what? There ARE five bazillion chances out there, and the earth is the one that got through! So, naturally, we're here, instead of some random planet elsewhere. The positioning and size and construction of the earth is just perfect for life as we know it, but that doesn't mean that someone must have designed it! Hey critics of evolution: If you can't accept that the world is billions of years old (we've got the carbon/uranium dating to prove it) then don't expect to make any sense of our well-developed scientific theory. And some aspects of life don't work out perfectly... ever heard of disease?

Okay, this is the most ambiguous question. Really, I don't know, but then again, nobody knows. But if the big bang started the universe, it couldn't have a cause. There was no time before it... there couldn't have even been a "before". So there couldn't have been a cause. It just was. There can't be anything before the beginning.

Well, I wouldn't be absolutely sure, would I? But I do believe that absence of evidence is strong evidence of absence, so unless someone finds absolute positive proof that there is a god or supreme being... yes. I think they're all wrong. With good intentions, maybe, but still mistaken.

The thing I find scary about people who say that they know the word of God is that they say he's telling them things that would normally go against what I consider good morals. So yes, they're lying. Unless their god is really so horrible that he (she?) contradicts everything they say they believe in.

Elanchana

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:14 pm
1- Atheists have no morals because they have nowhere to turn to to get their morals.
Says the one who judges me before even getting to know me. I get my morals from you guys. How? I just don't do on you how you do on me, douché. Review your 10 comandments, plzkthxbi.

2- Atheists believe life is meaningless because we arose with no cause.
Whatever you mean by meaningless?

3- The universe is so perfectly designed. The earth is so perfectly positioned for life so that life can actually live on earth without freezing or burning to death. It all just works out too perfectly. Someone must've made it like that.
Well, the universe is HUGE, I belive in coincidences. Our planet is positioned where life conditions are optimate by accident, and the chances a specific gigantic rock ends up taking that space are small, and no matter what planet it is it still gets those conditions that allow it to sustain life... but I never leave out the possibility that I can be wrong.
And now... define "perfection", maybe we are just a mistake~

Ah, yeah? Where does your God come from? Don't tell that... he's been around before time itself or something like that, and that one day(?) he was all bored and said "Meh, I'm bored, I'm going to create life 8D"

Yes, I do. A well told lie is one that prevails, even more when it's passed down generation by genration and put into the minds of little children, who are really gulible and extremely corruptable.

I belive God is way to busy to be there right next to someone talking to them. I mean... if he existed he would.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:05 am

I don't need to be threatened with eternal damnationcto know right from wrong. I like to think that my morals came from common sense and general concern for myself and others.

Life is what you make of it, plain and simple. Some choose to value it and others don't.

I don't have solid reasoning for this, but I CAN say that the earth isn't perfect and obviously wasn't perfect before we as humans came to be.

Hell if I know, I wasn't there. I fail to see why I should instantly credit this to the sky-daddy (hey, who made him/her/it???)

Yes. The majority is not always right and humans are pretty easy to persuade.

I call them delusional.  

Lemon Jally

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:03 am
I'm not atheist, but I have actually had these thrown at me from christians and non christians and I've responded to them before.

Just because someone doesn't have a particular religion doesn't mean they have no morals. You can gain a morality simply by how you're brought up by your parents. If you're taught to be nice to others, then most likely you'll be nice to them. Same concept.

The atheists I've known personally don't see life as meaningless. They just see things from a more logically point of view and believe in science because it shows a physical proof for most things.

Well, naturally I would agree with this one because I use that type of argument based on evolution. But I won't get into that. I honestly hate any debates with evolution. >.> It's just annoying lol.

Well naturally, for me, God of course and it ties up with the answer above this one. I don't see how everything that exists not just "accidentally" appeared some how.

Well I could actually reverse this and answer it. Religiously speaking, those who don't believe in God are pretty much all wrong so yeah. But on a personal level, I can't prove God exists and I can't prove that he doesn't exist, so yeah there's a chance I could be wrong.

Honestly? I have no idea what to truly say. Who's to really say if they're lieing or not? I can't prove them wrong and can't prove them right so its a stalemate.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:29 am

I believe that everyone has a moral compass and has a natural inclination to do good. People who would even suggest that we don't should really look around and take in how many atheists are out there. If we had no morals, the world would be in chaos (or, actually, the world would be more chaotic than it already is).

I think that we live for the present and for future generations. Life is what you make of it, and the better you do, the more others benefit off of your hard work.

Firstly, people are not perfect. So who could have aligned it that way? Certainly no person. Also, you have to take into account how many millions and billions of other planets there are throughout the universe. We just happen to be that 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance to have a planet with perfect living conditions (or should I say, we live in a planet with near perfect living conditions).

And now I flip that question back to you. Where did god come from? Please don't ask stupid questions. They make me feel sorry for you.

Yes, and they think everyone else is wrong. Think of the number of religions out there. Christianity may be the biggest religion, but that doesn't mean that it takes up the majority of the world's population. If one person thinks they are right, then they automatically think that everyone else is wrong. There's no way for everyone to be right. It's impossible

I wouldn't say that they're liars, but maybe they're delusional? Maybe they just believe enough that they're feeling/hearing things (kinda like giving someone a sugar pill and telling them it will help their headache. They let their minds do all the work. The only thing the pill does is give them a slight sugar rush ^_^)? I don't know what is up with these people, but they can hear all the crap they want. They're just not getting me to sing along with them.

Dark_lord_15

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:45 am
Basically, how would you respond to these questions/ statements?

1- Atheists have no morals because they have nowhere to turn to to get their morals. Thats not true just because we don't have a book stating how we should live doesn't mean we don't understand wrong from right. It's just up to our own interpitation as individuals

2- Atheists believe life is meaningless because we arose with no cause.

I do not believe this, or that i should need a cause to live. what wrong with just living, do i need a purpose besides my own existance?

3- The universe is so perfectly designed. The earth is so perfectly positioned for life so that life can actually live on earth without freezing or burning to death. It all just works out too perfectly. Someone must've made it like that.
Sometimes things are too complicated for us to know

I firmly believe in the evolution theory...if you mean the universe? IDK

No I do not, I think you can believe whatever you want too. The worlds up to your interpertation, and not one person is right or wrong. Though I do believe I am right for me. If that makes sence

No thatd be like telling a child santa doesn't exist. what I think they feel is their faith and love. And if thats a god to them then so be it.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:44 am
Turn on the TV and watch the news. You learn a lot about morals by watching politicians lying and terrorists blowing up towers and catholic priests raping young innocent boys.

Cause: Live freely and do something productive in your life.

TELL ME WHY ONE CHILD DIES FROM FAMINE IN AFRICA EVERY FIVE SECONDS

Nothing can come from something; I just wasted 10 minutes of my life doing something that amounts to nothing.

Yes, so what are you gonna do about it.

Either they are liars, or they are hallucinating, or they are simply trying to convert me to some cult that they belong to. Would you believe a woman who claims she can fly without any help? No. There you go.

I might've sounded radical. but I just had to do this. lol I love throwing their preachings back into their faces when religious people try to challenge me with these kinds of questions.  

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:33 pm
Don't you just hate it when Jehova witness knock on your door and won't shut up just beacuse you don't want to be rude you don't throw their preachings back into their faces? D:

I wonder if they have ever successfully converted somebody before...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 pm
[-Erik-]
Don't you just hate it when Jehova witness knock on your door and won't shut up just beacuse you don't want to be rude you don't throw their preachings back into their faces? D:

I wonder if they have ever successfully converted somebody before...
I've never had them =[.
I want them so badly.
You can make them do chores~  

[The Looney Bin]

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:57 am
Waitttt~