Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
do we need religon? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:46 pm
I think just having a knowledge of religion will help with your investigations. You never know when that information will come in handy. I mean look at some of the places ghost hunters went, old churches and such.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:31 pm
I second everyone who says knowledge of religion is necessary to be a paranormal investigator.

I would also have to chime in that people have a greater time sympathizing with people of there own religious faith and an easier time recognizing people of other religious faiths thus having a religious background can be useful in the way of working with others.

It is also useful to fully know oneself and to have a firm Faith in yourself when faced with things which Will at times shock you to your core.
You have to have self confidence and an open mind. Sometimes people use faith to boost there self confidence and in a way to make them stronger when dealing with things that they can't understand.

There are multiple ways of dealing with spirits and what way you choose should be based off what works best for you.  

Ishtar Shakti

Elfshaman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:35 pm
i'm a little confused about what you're saying. are you arguing that we dont need religion because it pushes some to extremes that cause them to behave in ways not seen acceptable morally?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:25 pm
Are you talking to Hime?

I think she's saying that religion can blind people to the truth  

Ishtar Shakti

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:56 pm
Ishtar Shakti
I second everyone who says knowledge of religion is necessary to be a paranormal investigator.

I would also have to chime in that people have a greater time sympathizing with people of there own religious faith and an easier time recognizing people of other religious faiths thus having a religious background can be useful in the way of working with others.

It is also useful to fully know oneself and to have a firm Faith in yourself when faced with things which Will at times shock you to your core.
You have to have self confidence and an open mind. Sometimes people use faith to boost there self confidence and in a way to make them stronger when dealing with things that they can't understand.

There are multiple ways of dealing with spirits and what way you choose should be based off what works best for you.

I completely agree with you and I love your avi.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:46 am
celticfireguardian
Ishtar Shakti

Thank you biggrin I saved up all my gold from the holoween event. I think I might try to trade this in for the brown and green version. What do you think brown and green or blue and green?  

Ishtar Shakti

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:49 am
Ishtar Shakti
celticfireguardian
Ishtar Shakti

Thank you biggrin I saved up all my gold from the holoween event. I think I might try to trade this in for the brown and green version. What do you think brown and green or blue and green?

Although I like the blue and green together, I think the brown and green would match your tail better.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:19 pm
celticfireguardian
Ishtar Shakti
celticfireguardian
Ishtar Shakti

Although I like the blue and green together, I think the brown and green would match your tail better.
Yah I know... I bought the outfit before I saw the cute tail. There is a red squirrel tail too  

Ishtar Shakti

Cer0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:45 am
Well you just have to believe in the paranormal world. You have to believe the things that are happening before your senses. I guess that's what you can mean by being religious.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:55 am
I dont know if i 'believe' in the paranormal world but i think a knowledge of religions especially the post popular one at a certain date can help in discovering how some myths and legends evolved the way they did. For example there is a small legend in ireland about how if a single woman was to boil water she would have to do it where the steam would not hit a hall or be blocked or she would never find a husband which may have come abut because back then paganism was the religion of the irish and it was very important to all of their fertility ceremonies to be outside and intune with nature  

Sharonxdx

2,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:33 pm
Cer0
Well you just have to believe in the paranormal world. You have to believe the things that are happening before your senses. I guess that's what you can mean by being religious.

I wouldn't think that believing in the paranormal has anything to do with being religious. It is just a matter of you use your faith to further investigation.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:31 pm
celticfireguardian
Cer0

I wouldn't think that believing in the paranormal has anything to do with being religious. It is just a matter of you use your faith to further investigation.

Well Atheists wouldn't believe in ghosts as they don't believe in death the after life etc. They don't believe in anything paranormal and would lump it in with religious things. You must see to believe mantra. Belief is I guess highly associated with religions and atheists don't always make the best psychics because they close their world to other things.  

Ishtar Shakti

Mercury Skies

4,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:54 pm
Religion can be useful in terms on how to explain a certain phenomenon to someone and how to deal with it, but it is not necessary for a paranormal researcher. As what people has said multiple times in this topic all you need is equipment, an objective open mind, the ability to be calm in the mist of excitement, a team, and maybe another job on side?

I am wondering how far to an extent do you want to be involved in your research (Just go in and report your finding or go a step further and help rid the house of such activities if asked to do so)?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:40 am
If you want my advice,

To become a licensed paranormal investigator, you can do one of two things.

1 Find a reputable University that specializes in that field.

2 Enter and apprenticeship with an in the field hi study group. That is more like fast tracking, in a literal since.

Both of which still take time though, while religion is not needed for that field. An understanding of multiple views doesn't hurt.

I still strive to learn as much as I can, even though I'm not an investigator.  

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:42 am
Ishtar Shakti
celticfireguardian
Cer0

Well Atheists wouldn't believe in ghosts as they don't believe in death the after life etc. They don't believe in anything paranormal and would lump it in with religious things. You must see to believe mantra. Belief is I guess highly associated with religions and atheists don't always make the best psychics because they close their world to other things.

Not necessarily. Atheism is strictly a disbelief in God, which says nothing of any other paranormal phenomena -- you don't need to believe in God to believe in ghosts, aliens, herbalism, magic, and so on.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff