Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
It's a simple thing, really... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tesunie

15,100 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:31 am
MemoryDragon
Those of you not in the US can go right ahead and ignore this. Or you can stick around and laugh at how poorly educated we are.

Okay. I am sick and tired of students asking me this question. So for those of you that are uncertain on this issue, let me set you straight.

Yes, Rhode Island is part of the United States. It was one of the original thirteen in fact. No, New England is not overseas. Basic geography, people. And for the last time I don't have anything near like a British accent. I use Standard American English and just happen to enunciate properly while I'm in an educational setting.

[/rant]

*cough* Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest. When I'm having the highest of the high school honours class students ask me these same questions after learning where I am from, I just get a little annoyed. Can you really blame me?

Is that as bad as being in a college prep class in high school and litterlally have every student but myself and my brother asking 'what are fractions and decimals?'
I was like, 'WHAT! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A FRACTION IS! THIS IS COLLEGE PREP ALGEBRA!' We spent a whole month reviewing fractions and decimals, just because too many of the students didn't know what they even were.

Though I guess I do have to admite, it did surprise me that they knew how to subtract... but they never learned that subtraction was negative numbers. I mean, come on. Doesn't the little minus sign next to the negative number give it away? If you add a positive and a negative together... YOUR SUBTRACTING! Duh. Didn't take rocket science to get that one... ninja

Yeah, I had my fair share of that myself. As far as accents go, I had some family from the south come up once. It was fun picking on them for their 'accent'. Then again, when we went down south, they picked on us for our 'accent'. It was a blast! So much fun picking on each other over how the other talked. Hehehe.

Catholics are Christians, though I think they forgot to read the whole 'thou shall place no idols above me' part. Praying to saints? Isn't that like placing an idol over God? Why not pray to God directly?
Then I have to laugh at the roman Catholics. "No one but us will make it to heaven." Come on. No one knows the truth about the whole thing anyway. Just figure out what you can in life, believe how you do. Unless your dead, there is no definitive way to know. (Unless God comes down and anounces it to all the world...)
Then again, I have to also chuckle a little about purgetory. I read up that we all go to purgetory instead of heaven to 'purify' our souls and become perfect beings to enter into heaven. And if you fall into temtation then, your all doomed... Well, I'm a little sorry, but was are all imperfect beings. If I'm going to be tempted in life, and then tempted in death before I can get to heaven or not... isn't that a little harsh? Last I knew, Jesus died to forgive all our sins... not to keep tempting us more and more untill we either 'show' we are perfect, or we all flunk and go to the place where only demons are suppose to go. You know, the firey pits? Ring any bells?

Alright, I think I shall stop now... or I might make a few people angry at me. If this angers anyone, I appologize now. I tend to speak and place my foot past my hip into my mouth. I ment no offence by this...
(And I agree. If what I saw in high school was any indication, I also fear for my generation, and the next one behind them too.)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:34 pm
WRAP YOURSELF IN CLINGFILM YOU FIEND! *attacks pilotslover*  

churrlo

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:12 am
churrlo
WRAP YOURSELF IN CLINGFILM YOU FIEND! *attacks pilotslover*

WAH! *Runs from the clingfilm*  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:03 pm
Pilotslover
MemoryDragon
We're damned to hell, that's what we Catholics are. And heaven forbid one of us actually run for office. stare Everyone will be ruled by the pope! stare Sorry. I've gotten this quite a bit. It's rather annoying.

Accents are fun. I've never been much good with them, myself, but I can recognize a decent amount. One of my favourite british ones is Welsh. heart But then, I've had a soft spot for the Welsh for a long time, lol...

*donk* Welsh isn't a British accent. Welsh is Welsh. Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland are part of the United Kingdom with England/Britain. It's a common misconception with people from outside the UK. My favorite British accent is the Yorkshire one.

PL

It comes from Britain, so it's British to me. xd But either way, it is sexy. heart  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:53 pm
MemoryDragon
Pilotslover
MemoryDragon
We're damned to hell, that's what we Catholics are. And heaven forbid one of us actually run for office. stare Everyone will be ruled by the pope! stare Sorry. I've gotten this quite a bit. It's rather annoying.

Accents are fun. I've never been much good with them, myself, but I can recognize a decent amount. One of my favourite british ones is Welsh. heart But then, I've had a soft spot for the Welsh for a long time, lol...

*donk* Welsh isn't a British accent. Welsh is Welsh. Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland are part of the United Kingdom with England/Britain. It's a common misconception with people from outside the UK. My favorite British accent is the Yorkshire one.

PL

It comes from Britain, so it's British to me. xd But either way, it is sexy. heart

No, it's not from Britain, it's from the United Kingdom, there is actually a big difference.

I don't know why I'm causing a fuss ... way back in history my family is from Wales. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:20 pm
Tesunie

Catholics are Christians, though I think they forgot to read the whole 'thou shall place no idols above me' part. Praying to saints? Isn't that like placing an idol over God? Why not pray to God directly?
Then I have to laugh at the roman Catholics. "No one but us will make it to heaven." Come on. No one knows the truth about the whole thing anyway. Just figure out what you can in life, believe how you do. Unless your dead, there is no definitive way to know. (Unless God comes down and anounces it to all the world...)
Then again, I have to also chuckle a little about purgetory. I read up that we all go to purgetory instead of heaven to 'purify' our souls and become perfect beings to enter into heaven. And if you fall into temtation then, your all doomed... Well, I'm a little sorry, but was are all imperfect beings. If I'm going to be tempted in life, and then tempted in death before I can get to heaven or not... isn't that a little harsh? Last I knew, Jesus died to forgive all our sins... not to keep tempting us more and more untill we either 'show' we are perfect, or we all flunk and go to the place where only demons are suppose to go. You know, the firey pits? Ring any bells?

Alright, I think I shall stop now... or I might make a few people angry at me. If this angers anyone, I appologize now. I tend to speak and place my foot past my hip into my mouth. I ment no offence by this...
(And I agree. If what I saw in high school was any indication, I also fear for my generation, and the next one behind them too.)

GAH! No! I'm Roman Catholic, and my community is not like that AT ALL. (Well, Father is, but.... None of the more liberal people in the church listen to him). I don't know about purgatory, but the deal is that God basically has an Ultimate Plan for a Perfect World (or something to that effect) and while we all are part of the plan, he still gives us free will within that plan. If we do something wrong and hurt another, we are forgiven IF WE REPENT. One doesn't necessarily have to go through the whole reconciliation deal (although it is a nice formality) but it's more like if you truly feel sorry for what you have done.

See, God extends his grace to all, but your acceptance into Heaven is based on if you accept his grace and repent or not. I'm not saying that those of others religions won't get into Heaven, because God doesn't really work like that. I mean, if you're a good person, apologize for your mistakes and all that, then you have a sweet afterlife, and help the world to become a better place. That's the deal.

As for praying to saints - I can see why you would thin khat, but that isn't the case. We revere saints, and pray to them AND God. But, God is top dog. We don't view the saints and angels on the same level of God, and that's what matters.

As for accents, I have a southern accent. And according to my friends, when I try to sound intellectual, I just end up slurring my words.

And as for stupid people, which is the original topic.....
Dear Lord, I pray that one day I'll be able to either get away from all the ignorant people, or somehow help them Preferably the first option.  

welian

Eloquent Conversationalist

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:05 pm
MemoryDragon
Those of you not in the US can go right ahead and ignore this. Or you can stick around and laugh at how poorly educated we are.

Okay. I am sick and tired of students asking me this question. So for those of you that are uncertain on this issue, let me set you straight.

Yes, Rhode Island is part of the United States. It was one of the original thirteen in fact. No, New England is not overseas. Basic geography, people. And for the last time I don't have anything near like a British accent. I use Standard American English and just happen to enunciate properly while I'm in an educational setting.

[/rant]

*cough* Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest. When I'm having the highest of the high school honours class students ask me these same questions after learning where I am from, I just get a little annoyed. Can you really blame me?

Now I know why they came up with the show "Are you smarter than a fifth grader."

To any of your students: Sorry if I insulted you.

I'm not even saying I'm smarter than a fifth grader, either, but there are a lot of things from grade 5 I don't remember.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:50 am
Memory - I owe you an apology.

I was speaking to my mum about accents and she says yes Wales is a British accent but it is not an english accent. sweatdrop Knew there was a reason I'd stopped paying attention in geography. XD

The united Kingdom is made of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Great Britain is England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland.

England is ... well England. Made up of many parts.

PL  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Tesunie

15,100 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:36 am
NeoNeon
GAH! No! I'm Roman Catholic, and my community is not like that AT ALL. (Well, Father is, but.... None of the more liberal people in the church listen to him). I don't know about purgatory, but the deal is that God basically has an Ultimate Plan for a Perfect World (or something to that effect) and while we all are part of the plan, he still gives us free will within that plan. If we do something wrong and hurt another, we are forgiven IF WE REPENT. One doesn't necessarily have to go through the whole reconciliation deal (although it is a nice formality) but it's more like if you truly feel sorry for what you have done.

See, God extends his grace to all, but your acceptance into Heaven is based on if you accept his grace and repent or not. I'm not saying that those of others religions won't get into Heaven, because God doesn't really work like that. I mean, if you're a good person, apologize for your mistakes and all that, then you have a sweet afterlife, and help the world to become a better place. That's the deal.

As for praying to saints - I can see why you would thin khat, but that isn't the case. We revere saints, and pray to them AND God. But, God is top dog. We don't view the saints and angels on the same level of God, and that's what matters.

As for accents, I have a southern accent. And according to my friends, when I try to sound intellectual, I just end up slurring my words.

And as for stupid people, which is the original topic.....
Dear Lord, I pray that one day I'll be able to either get away from all the ignorant people, or somehow help them Preferably the first option.

Well, to state, no offence to you or anyone else of those religions. I have just heard that Roman Catholics (in general as in the hard core ones like the one person you mentioned) seem to think that only they will go to Heaven. Of course there is always those others in the same religion that thinks otherwise. Why not?

For Purgatory, I read that up on a Catholic web site, though it was a forum based one so the person might not have known what they were truly talking about.

And I have seen some of my Catholic friends all but seem to place some saint above God... when they tell me to not pray to God for my missing watch and pray to some saint to guarantee I'll find it... I'm sorry. I'd rather talk to the source personally. (Once again, those that take things too far with a certain doctrine.)

I might have sounded like I was bashing, still might without intention, but believe it or not, I am Christian. (Currently going to a baptist church, even if I don't believe in exactly the same way as them, they got most of the things I believe to be true, except for the whole not dancing thing. Don't get that with them either... rolleyes )

It is actually stated somewhere (can't remember... and too lazy to find it again. I think it is in one of the many books of John, but not certain) that God made different Churches for the different people. They are all basically the same with slight differences so that anyone can be excepted into his grace. Just that, some make less sense to me than others really. Then again, Catholic works very well for some people, so it is all just a part of God's plan.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:28 pm
Pilotslover
Memory - I owe you an apology.

I was speaking to my mum about accents and she says yes Wales is a British accent but it is not an english accent. sweatdrop Knew there was a reason I'd stopped paying attention in geography. XD

The united Kingdom is made of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Great Britain is England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland.

England is ... well England. Made up of many parts.

PL

It's all good. xd Now I'm remembering more of my British history course... rofl

You won't believe how hard I'm willing myself not to get involved in this religious debate. Not gonna do it. I'll spare you all that blood bath. rofl  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas