Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Something that happened in school yesterday.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:22 am
User Image

I took Wraith's comment as meaning that parents should talk to their children about the things they see in the movies or read in the books - like, for example, "This movie has (sex/violence/theivery) in it. I want to make sure you understand that sex is for adults/violence is terrible in real life/theivery is illegal. Do you have any feelings or questions about this movie/book?" If more parents took the time to do this with their children, there would probably be far fewer people blaming the media for crimes.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:39 am
Nah, there would be the same amount complaining, only less people would care about them, because they know better.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 am
User Image

XD You're probably right... sometimes I have too much trust in people's logical abilities.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:41 pm
Gracchvs
Hmm? I believe Wraith was saying that the best way to raise the child is to find out how the child reacts to certain things and provide or restrict exposure accordingly...

Not, y'know, asking the child 'How should I raise you?' or anything.

All right. Guess I misinterpreted that.

All I can say is, many of these posts seem to come from the minds of teenagers.
As I am one, there is not much comment I can make on that.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm
That is probably because most of the people on gaia are teenagers though.
Besides, teenagers generally have a fresh look on things, if occasionally overly stereotyped.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:58 pm
KuroFur
Gracchvs
Hmm? I believe Wraith was saying that the best way to raise the child is to find out how the child reacts to certain things and provide or restrict exposure accordingly...

You did misenterpret it.

...and I realize that what I posted is more of an ideal situation rather than a realistic one. Often what people should do is in no way what they will do. It's not like that will change any time soon.  

Henneth Annun

Dvampirex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:08 am
As i believe it was Lewis Black had once said.
"I would love to have the faith to believe that the Earth was created in 7 days, But you see I have thoughts. And we all know how that can F^$# up the whole religion thing, Just ask any Catholic Priest."

Letting children read a book that may question there faith is a good thing. Although im not bashing those that have a faith but come on can you really let a child grow up believing such bull. Especially since if no one ever explains what it really means. If letting a child grow up not questioning there faith was such a good thing, we would still be in the dark ages.

Regardless, if a child wants to read a book. Let them. Since when has a child reading (In general) been a bad thing? Sure Maturity may be a factor, Depending on the child's age and parenting, but overall id be fine letting my child, read a book like that especially if they could actually read it. If there old enough to Acually read the book there old enough for the content in my opinon.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:56 am
I agree. Fostering a healthy appetite for literature should be one of the things that parents work for. Read, ask questions, learn!  

PathlessPlot

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:25 pm
XWraith_LordX
KuroFur
Gracchvs

You did misenterpret it.

...and I realize that what I posted is more of an ideal situation rather than a realistic one. Often what people should do is in no way what they will do. It's not like that will change any time soon.

Well, you can't exactly force them.

Mm, all of this makes me want to get a truly-religous person's thoughts on it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:32 pm
It will be something like:
If they are exposed to other stuff they will grow up to be immoral and stuff, and that by exposing them to immoral literature, videogames and movies we encourage imorality within our children which is encouraging the spirit of satan.

Or something? They will put it better (or maybe not...) because they actually believe that, but that is pretty much what they'll say.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:27 pm
Gracchvs
It will be something like:
If they are exposed to other stuff they will grow up to be immoral and stuff, and that by exposing them to immoral literature, videogames and movies we encourage imorality within our children which is encouraging the spirit of satan.

Or something? They will put it better (or maybe not...) because they actually believe that, but that is pretty much what they'll say.
Yah, it'll be the usual "satan's influence" and driving children "away from god"
and all of that...*eyeroll*  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:14 pm
Hide nothing from our children! They should be given choices from the beggining of their lives.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Boxed_Jam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:18 pm
Children should be encouraged to learn.
People learn a lot through asking questions.
If they are allowed to question their faith, they're having a "thought provoking moment".
I believe this is healthy.
neutral
'Salems Lot was a good book by the way...
And I love Stephen King smile .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:51 am
If they are sheltered from things that make them question the so called "basic foundation" of socity, then we will for ever live in a loop of stupidty.  

migoto-kami

Greedy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ammonia Spike

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:04 am
[-Erik-]
Hide nothing from our children! They should be given choices from the beggining of their lives.

I agree with that to an extent, but I would feel weird about reading "A Clockwork Orange" to a five year old as a bedtime story.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff