Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What's with the fish? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

E_Night

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:08 pm
no you said breads... it would be loaves of bread. Breads is never Breads unles your talking about the breads of the world... as in different types. But am i really one to talk? i mean my spelling is horrible.

Why is the plural of fish fish and not fishes?
^evil twisted  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:25 pm
Fine, so he multiplied 3 LOAVES of bread into a hundred damn loaves of bread. It was still a neat trick though. Jesus was like the David Blaine of that time. All praise David Copperfield!

And your spelling IS horrible. *sticks tongue out*  

MightyHikaru

Orichalcon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:14 am
MightyHikaru
Fine, so he multiplied 3 LOAVES of bread into a hundred damn loaves of bread. It was still a neat trick though. Jesus was like the David Blaine of that time. All praise David Copperfield!

And your spelling IS horrible. *sticks tongue out*

[ultimate irony] Praise be to Criss Angel [/ultimate irony]  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:01 am
[_caustic_]
puresilver
Dathu
Cause Jesus was a fisherman?

He was a carpender. They should have use a nail or something.

That fish thing is a good question, though I can't think of a time when the christians were prosecuted as a whole, just their factions prosecuting each other.

eek ...The Romans?

Maybe it's the 'fisher of men' analogy thing.

Hmm... I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that that symbol is from so long ago.  

puresilver

MightyWeresquid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:58 am
He did like to make lunch for people... whee  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:51 pm
Yeah, if you just wickpedia it you get all the answers. Check it out! In a nut shell, it's older than Christianity, but was used as a mark for meeting places by christians when they were hiding from the romans, and because jesus fed 5000 people with fish and bread, and because he was the "fisher of men," and because when he died on the cross a roman soldier commented that he smelled like week old fish and stabbed him with a spear out of disgust of his stench.

Okay, so the last one is bullshit!

Dathu

Newbie Noob

ChocoChan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:12 pm
When I used to pay attention in my parent's church, I once heard that a translation of Jesus Christ (I think just the Christ part, though) could mean fish in Greek. Or maybe Latin. Not sure, that was about 10 years ago. But, because of that, blah blah, persecution, read the first couple of posts, blah.
But, yes, this is supposedly the origin of the fish thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:45 pm
I was surprised to see this hadn't been posted yet.

From what I've heard, and I may be spouting pure bullshit, but I doubt it, the fish symbol comes from the times of the Roman Empire, when Christianity was still being oppressed. In order for a Christian to identify another fellow Christian, during conversation, one would make a sweeping arc in the dirt below them with their foot-- very casually, so as that if the other wasn't a Christian or Christian sympathizer, they wouldn't notice anything odd. If Person Numero Dos was on the Christian side, they would make another arc, which would complete the fish. The two would then know they were among allies, and could speak any sort of secret.

I don't doubt, though, that the fish also has the biblical significance. I'm just fairly sure that's the origin of the symbol itself.

This method was later used in the late 1800s among Ethiopians to send secret messages without the Europeans' notice-- well, okay, that right there is a lie.  

Southwest

Sinister Soul

Questionable Inquisitor

10,800 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:15 pm
Southwest

It had been stated. Look a few posts up at what Dathu said.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:33 pm
Southwest

From what I've heard, and I may be spouting pure bullshit, but I doubt it, the fish symbol comes from the times of the Roman Empire, when Christianity was still being oppressed. In order for a Christian to identify another fellow Christian, during conversation, one would make a sweeping arc in the dirt below them with their foot-- very casually, so as that if the other wasn't a Christian or Christian sympathizer, they wouldn't notice anything odd. If Person Numero Dos was on the Christian side, they would make another arc, which would complete the fish. The two would then know they were among allies, and could speak any sort of secret.

I don't doubt, though, that the fish also has the biblical significance. I'm just fairly sure that's the origin of the symbol itself.

This method was later used in the late 1800s among Ethiopians to send secret messages without the Europeans' notice-- well, okay, that right there is a lie.
thats pretty cool the whole foot in the sand thing. ... oh the secret codes of old  

E_Night

iviary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:01 pm
The fish logos that irk me are those that show the darwin-fish being eaten by a fish with the word "TRUTH" on it. Now, certainly, the darwin-fish might be mocking theirs. stare However.. what the hell? Has anyone else seen these? They're on many many cars here in Texas. Egh.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:06 pm
Sinister Soul
Southwest

It had been stated. Look a few posts up at what Dathu said.

Whoops. sweatdrop

Well, I retract that statement, then.  

Southwest

A Fallen Hero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:25 pm
Yami no Moonlight
In the bible Jesus tells his deciples to be 'fishermen of men'. Meaning to go and preach to people and catch them in their nets... bring them into Christianity. I'm guess it has something to do with that, but hey I'm just a Sunday school queen.
I guess that would make sense  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:18 pm
puresilver
Dathu
Cause Jesus was a fisherman?

He was a carpender. They should have use a nail or something.

That fish thing is a good question, though I can't think of a time when the christians were prosecuted as a whole, just their factions prosecuting each other.
He was NOT a carpenter. The language the bible was written in(latin, right?) doesn't have a word for "carpenter." Back then people weren't that specialied. Jesus was just "blue collar."  

Grand Moff Locket

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:16 am
I think it has sort of switched to a symbol of white trash, rather than a symbol of Christianity. Maybe I have formed this stereotype because I always see them on minivans, pickup trucks, and trailers.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff