Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
An interesting tidbit about Sarah Palin Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your choice of treats for reading
  ~cookie~
  ~muffin~
  ~CHEESECAKE~
  ~gold~
View Results

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:52 am
We can only hope that the Republicans won't try again to get her in office. That woman makes me want to rage.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:19 pm
Granny Duck
We can only hope that the Republicans won't try again to get her in office. That woman makes me want to rage.

I think they were trying to, but it looks like she doesn't want to run, but 2012 is a good ways off so it's impossible to tell right now.  

Arios V

Teoka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:01 am
If Obama runs again in 2012, and Palin is the nominee for the Republicans, I'm getting the ******** out of this country.

I was okay with the idea of Palin being VP, because they don't do anything very useful. I didn't like Obama's economical policy, so sue me. But wow, her as president scares the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:51 pm
Actually, and I know this sounds weird, but I hope she does run. It's the wingnut fanatics who like her, and since she's the one credited with McCain's losing the election, it seems to me that her running solo would virtually guarantee Obama's re-election, should he run again (I sincerely hope so), or whoever else may run if he does not. I think it'd send a much-needed message that this is not a country that wants to be run by something like a Christian Taliban.

She thinks it's "God's Plan" that she become president, proving that she either thinks she is God, or that she's only using God to legitimize her own plans for herself in the hopes that other people believe it. Scary. With people like her rattling around in this country, I think it's more imperative than ever that everybody read Sinclair Lewis' "It Can't Happen Here."  

Paraldehyde Kool-Aid

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:46 pm
User Image

I worry about the possibility of her running for President because there are so many Republicans in this country that recognize her as a "Republican" and not as a "Crazy Dominionist Freakshow." I am terrified that she might somehow get elected and somehow implement her home church's dominionizing plans over the US.

I hate to invoke Godwin's Law, but I can't help but worry about Dominionist Christians potentially becoming the next equivalent of the Nazi party. The Nazis started out as a small group in southern Germany that nobody paid much attention to, and all it took was a nationwide economic and social crisis for them to gain power and take over essentially the whole of Europe. Dominionists admit to having the goal of taking over the world with their brand of Christianity and I can honestly think of few things that would give me more horrifying nightmares.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:42 am
Well, certainly it's not to say that the danger isn't there. It rather is. The price of freedom, as was said, is eternal vigilance. But, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Fascism has been periodically rearing its ugly head in this country for some time, now. The nation's been wobbling a bit around it (especially during the Bush Regime), but the pendulum swings the other way when things start to look too scary to too many people to sustain the change. The Dominionists are indeed gaining some support, but they're losing some, too, so it's a little tough to say at the moment if there's been a net gain and how influential it's likely to get. We might even wind up seeing a few more Wacos if they get too wild, considering how many of them stockpile arms. It's kind of a powder keg. But, when it explodes is anybody's guess. They rather froth a lot at the mouth when things don't go their way.

Fascism does require religious fervor and a fanatical and mindless form of "patriotism" to actually succeed. And, I would say Godwin's Law remains effectively unmessed-with there, as the analogy with the Nazis really is an apt one. Many of the more scary sects look upon Hitler with admiration as a highly influential leader and hold him up as an example to emulate. The mere thought of the ramifications is beyond horrific. So, while they consider him to be their strength, that they even do so will also remain their ultimate weakness while most people look upon Hitler as one of the most evil men who ever lived. Personally, I really fear what might happen when people start to forget the horrors that he wrought. If that happens, then fascism will become a much more present danger here, and they day they take over will be another of the darkest days in history. In that case, I'll be steeling myself to organize underground revolutionary groups and either fight to regain the freedom that apathy will have lost us at that stage, or die trying. We've already flirted dangerously with far too much of that stuff, and it scared a lot of people. What remains is for them to keep remembering that and realize that that's what the reward is for not paying attention.

Still, dictatorships cannot thrive while information flows freely. As long as we steadfastly defend our civil rights, they'll have a really tough row to hoe. The "our way or death" declarations of would-be tyrants tends to render their organizations unsustainably friable in the long run. So, sowing dissention helps, and in truth, nothing's more patriotic than that. Faction means fracture. That's why there's such power in numbers. Unfortunately, that's a double-edged sword.

But, it is a nightmare. No denying that. But, I think it's still worth knowing that Palin very quickly made herself a laughingstock. All that was necessary to make fun of her was just for somebody to repeat what she'd said herself. But, even more ridiculous than that, there were actually inflatable "love dolls" bearing her likeness on the market. McCain was urgently advised not to pick her as a running mate right from the off, as before she'd even opened her mouth on national TV, too many Republicans were justifiably afraid that she'd only sully the image they wanted to foster in the wake of the Bush popularity disaster. Instead, she just fed into the familiar and somewhat damning image of the undereducated, Bible-totin', gun-lovin' hick who votes Reeeepublican because the neo-con pundits say them Dimmycrats is too lib'ral and lib'ral's a four-letter word. She's also up to her eyebrows in graft and corruption. Get enough twits like her out there on the airwaves, and rather a lot of people wind up laughing themselves into voting for the other guy. Even Jeff Foxworthy, hero of the folksy blue-collar set, pokes fun at stupid people. It's practically a sport, except that it rather strongly resembles shooting fish in a barrel.

People seem to be able to talk themselves into thinking a candidate who stumbles in speeches and says the occasional dumb thing is "just like folks." But, if that happens too much, they don't tend to be so forgiving. Poking fun at our leaders is a national pastime, but if they get too ridiculous, they lose respect. Lose respect, and they lose credibility. Lose that, and they're in a worse position than a lame duck. In the meantime, I'll renew my memberships in the ACLU and the American Atheists while doing so doesn't get me arrested for sedition.  

Paraldehyde Kool-Aid

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces