Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sword of Truth Guild, For Terry Goodkind Fans!

Back to Guilds

"Choose, then. With us or not. But choose this day for all time." 

Tags: truth, sword, richard, series, goodkind 

Reply Legend of the Seeker Discussion
T_T the butchered the whole series T_T (SPOILERS) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Always wear..
  A poll.
View Results

MasterPumpkin

7,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:50 am
sabre_sword
I might've missed this.. when did we ever see a Mord-Sith?

Maybe they didn't explain the pain of the sword because Richard isn't fully attuned to it yet, and I don't remember the "pain" being explained until like.. the third book. But it has been a while. o.o;

I beg to differ. I do not in the slightest way, believe that it was an utter epic failure. It was an honest effort on Sam Raimi's behalf and despite the show being his own adaptation, you have to look at it from a different perspective. Pretend you aren't a fan of SoT, then it becomes a slightly cheesy but decent premeire of a fantasy adventure series that I would continue watching.

And .. that was only the first episode. o.o;
with that premier i sure hope it can only get better from here on out, hopefuly when he starts getting into the other books that it wont be butchered as much  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 am
They call me...

I think most of you have fuzzies abouts the first book. o.o Darken Rahl has straight smooth blonde hair. :3 His hair wasn't supposed to be like Sephiroth's, more like Lucius Malfoy's in Harry Potter. x3

The pain of the sword IS explained in the first book, so is the sword's use and how it's merely a tool, so is the seeker of truth and what he represents, as a matter of fact, Richard feels the pain of the sword in the first quarter of the book, when he kills the soldier in the gap between the boundary to save Kahlan.

Although I haven't watched the show - I don't watch TV in general unless it's cooking shows :3 - sounds to me like a lot of things were left out, but a lot of you remember things differently from the book. o.o I recently finished the first book again so it's fresh in my mind. n.n

the tooth around Richard's neck is the dragon's tooth that George Cypher gives to Richard. :3

I agree that a movie would have been much better; sure there might not have been as much, but it would have more of the essence of the books and had more effort put into it.

One thing I will say though; people who want to watch the series because they're fans of the book still want to see the series stay true and faithful to THE BOOKS. It's great that they want to add more stuff to the episodes in the chapters, that's great, but to change the lore and the very history of the characters destroys the visions of the very world of the books that the fans all had, how can anyone NOT be disappointed? This happens with almost every book series, except for Narnia and LotR so far. >.<

Sure, it might not be an exact copy of the book, but they said they'd make each chapter an episode, and develop on the story in those chapters. That's the kind of 'not an EXACT copy' I'd enjoy, not skewering the things that made people love the books. Even if Sam Raimi wasn't going to make the series, someone would have opted for it or for a movie eventually, it would have simply been a matter of time; look at the Twilight movie that came out. That's not an excuse in my opinion.

People who have read a book, and have enjoyed it, would still watch the same thing on tv; why? Because they love it, and because even if it's the same thing, it's still DIFFERENT. It's actors playing out the book! This is something many people have done; Shakespear, broadway, etc. The books are like a script, and the series is like the play of that script. Shouldn't it try to keep it as close to the genuine article? Even if I read the book, and I knew the series would be the exact same, I'd still watch it; people did it for the Lord of the Rings, they did it for Narnia, apparently they did it for Star Light and Twilight, why not Sword of Truth? What makes it so different?

For someone who's never read the book, they CAN enjoy as an original series, but for anyone who's read the books, it's almost impossible, the books will always, ALWAYS nag in the back of your mind as you watch it, because your own vision of the SoT world has already been made and you can't just tear it down all wily nilly because of this series.

I'm all for being open, but there's being open-minded and then there's wanting to keep some semblance of... I guess tradition would be the word you could use, for the Sword of Truth world.

Well, whatever. I haven't seen it, so I can't judge, is what some people might say, but the same goes for those people; just because I haven't seen it yet doesn't mean I'm forbidden from voicing my opinions.

I'll watch the pilot some time if I find it, maybe, and I'll give some more insight on what I think afterwards.

And now I leave you with this message...

I LOVE CROISSANTS! Holy crap I ate like three in a row! >.< DELICIOUSSSSSSS~ -drool- D:

...Mister Bunbuns~

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

sabre_sword
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:47 am
I concede to your valid points.

I just think, that we should give Sam Raimi the credit he deserves. He practically took on this series for US. At least is was a honest, decent effort.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:20 pm
sabre_sword
I concede to your valid points.

I just think, that we should give Sam Raimi the credit he deserves. He practically took on this series for US. At least is was a honest, decent effort.

I respect your want to love the series for what it is and to not "knock" it like we are, but Galen is 110% on this one. He wrote what I've wanted to say, summarized, but to the point while I was too lazy/busy to write it out.

Bottom line: Its awful. I give no credit so Sam Raini, because it was not done well, given the tools he had. All of us here knew right from the moment when we found out who the actors were that it was all going down-hill. And the pilot amplified that.

Not one thing from the show was true to the books in the least. I remember WFR quite clearly, because it is the book I've had the longest and have read several times over.

Richard is all wrong. He is too short, too small, too pathetic. Gearge Cypher should not be alive. Kahlan should not have had the Book of Counted Shadows and brought it with her to Westland. Kahlan, though, of all characters was done the best. the only complainti have other than having blue eyes, is that she is supposed to me "socially awkward" and have never ad a friend before, and does not trust anyone, even Richard. She became friends with Richard, Zedd, and Chase all too quickly and easily.

Richard barely knows Zedd AND Chase. Zedd is too tall, not child-like in the least, and his hair is too straight and neat. Zedd is his GRANDFATHER for christ sake. Zedd practicaly raises Richard. I don't even think Richard is a woods guide in the show, considering he doesn't really know Chase or any of the Boundary Wardens.

Shar is supposed to be dead before they even reach Zedd. Zedd should not have ever seen Shar. Richard never offered Kahlan an apple. The whole "Red fruit is poisonous in the Midlands thanks to Panis Rahl" is a huge historical aspect of the war.

Darken Rahl should (like Galen said) have hair more like Lucious Malfoy. He should have a distinct habit of licking his finger-tips and smoothing his eyebrows. He should look almost noble, because yes, he is an evil Wizard, but he is also the Lord Rahl. They mentioned calling Zedd a sorceror which is WRONG because is SOT Wizards and Sorcerors SPECIFICALLY are polar opposites of each other. Also, Darken Rahl was supposed to fly over on Scarlet in the beginning.

The Sword of Truth and the Seeker of Truth are described in great detail in WFR and the magic of the sword. Thats the whole beginning of the book. Remember the two trees Zedd had Kahlan nd Richard cut/try to cut down? The whole lesson about the perspective of the user and the penalty for killing and using rage as a shield from the pain? And the explanation of what the Seeker of TRUTH is and how he/she is a law unto himself and above any other position including the Mother Confessor, herself.

The tooth around his neck (though it should be under his shirt and hidden from the view of everyone else) was given to him from his father along with the book and not even Zedd knows about it.

Adie is supposed to be "a rather handsome looking woman" (as both Zedd AND Richard put it in WFR). The nightstone should be black, like the black of the Boxes or Orden. And Adie should NOT give it to the guy from the Quad, who never should had even been to Adie's house (or Chase's for that matter). The fight with the Quad member should be only Richard attacking him and killing him in one blow, with Kahlan watching, NOT a big fight scene.

The Sword of Truth does not fight with other blades. it slices right through them. Nothing can stop the Sword of Truth, whether its steel or magic. Time and time again, in the books, when Richard attacks and someone tries to block his attack, the Sword goes right through the parrying sword and proceeds to slice the defender.

NO you can't bring down the Boundary by throwing flaming rocks at it!! It doesn't work like that. The boundary is miles wide (i think in the book it said it was a three-days-walk to cross it). Its the size of a mountain-range for god's sake!! And why is there an army on the other side trying to get through?? Chase is supposed to teach Richard about the boundary. Both Chase and Zedd are supposed to get knocked out. Zedd is not supposed to recover so fast, and he does not GO WITH RICHARD AND KAHLAN INTO THE MIDLANDS.

And how have they already explained the First Rule!?

Where can the story go from here? How will they do the whole section with the Mud People? What about Shota? They have to include her, but Zedd will be with them?? Its all wrong. All of it. And for one episode, how can they be so far into the story already? They're like 6 Chapters in already.

Its a disaster and it should stop now. Sam Raini has epic failed and Terry Goodkind has let us all down. And there's nothing he can do about it now. He can't back out, he sold the rights to everything except the books to Disney. All he can do now, is write more for us, like he did with Debt of Bones. Add more to the history or to things that happened while Richard and Kahlan were doing their thing. Like for example, the Rise of Jagang, or a book about the Palace of the Prophets and the Sisters of the Dark and stuff like that. That's all we can hope for now.

crying crying crying crying  

First Wizard Zorander
Vice Captain

MasterPumpkin

7,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:35 pm
exactly my point, what such a failure how worse could it get, i was wondering about the mud people also, such a HUGE point in the series, he better get that in there and not mess that up, but thats only wishing, he is gana mess everything up one way or another and we all know it gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:19 am
They call me...

Wow, they screwed THAT many things up? At this point it's no longer 'going in a new direction', it's totally killing SoT, the only thing that's the same about the book and the show is the characters, and EVEN THEN they ******** that up!

...Mister Bunbuns~

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

Phanari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:25 am
We saw the mord sith when Darken Rahl was talking to his friends. And.................killing them.

The pain of the sword was in the first book. When they were traveling through Kingsport and Richard killed some people.

sabre_sword
I might've missed this.. when did we ever see a Mord-Sith?

Maybe they didn't explain the pain of the sword because Richard isn't fully attuned to it yet, and I don't remember the "pain" being explained until like.. the third book. But it has been a while. o.o;

I beg to differ. I do not in the slightest way, believe that it was an utter epic failure. It was an honest effort on Sam Raimi's behalf and despite the show being his own adaptation, you have to look at it from a different perspective. Pretend you aren't a fan of SoT, then it becomes a slightly cheesy but decent premeire of a fantasy adventure series that I would continue watching.

And .. that was only the first episode. o.o;

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:55 pm
OMG. See, I missed the first hour of the episode, but my brother was watching it. I'm just watching it now, and its confirming everything I knew was wrong.

And Rahl has a JOURNEY BOOK!?!?!? WTF is that!? They really messed up the naming of the Seeker. Where do the fire and lightning come from?? Zedd specifically says in the books that the Seeker names himself, and that in reality, the wizard has nothing to with it. He doesn't really name the Seeker, just kind of makes it official.

And I was right, they NEVER call it the "Seeker of Truth" and if you look, the word TRUTH is NOT on the hilt of the sword.

AAAAAAARGH  

First Wizard Zorander
Vice Captain

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:31 am
They call me...

I'm just ignoring the series now. :3

...Mister Bunbuns~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:00 pm
I'm still going to watch it, even with as much pain as it brings me; just because I'm an SOT fan and I know the books, just like I did with Harry Potter and LOTR, I'll just have to endure.

crying  

First Wizard Zorander
Vice Captain

WEEB_QUEEN

Kawaii Shoujo

13,950 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:56 am
-sighs-
So much disappointment............................
-shakes her head-
Last week's episode was rather interesting.
-shrugs- But, I dunno............ it's kind of lame. Filming wise, it just seems very staged and not at all like.... Lord of the Rings and stuff.

Galen, as for Twilight, I'm going to the first midnight showing of that this Thursday- well, technically it'd be Friday, which is when the movie comes out. I've read the books over and over and I know them inside and out.
My friend bought me a huge Twilight book, it's like- the complete movie guide, and I've been reading that, and you know, I'm actually thinking the movie may not be so bad, but I am still expecting to be disappointed.
The guide talks about how the filming came about and why they chose the locations they did and why they chose the outfits they did for each actor and the styles they were trying to portray and stuff.
So, it all makes a bit more sense now that I'm reading this guide before seeing the movie.
As long as they don't mess up my favorite two scenes, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:15 am
i just finished watching ep. 3 & 4 and i didnt think it could get any worse oh but it did, everything is just all screwed up,

i dont think you can say its based off the books at all anymore that how screwed up it is gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk  

MasterPumpkin

7,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

First Wizard Zorander
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 pm
I watched 3 but not 4 yet; the episode about the bounty. At this point, I dont expect them to follow the story at all, and thats depressing enough.

But one thing about SOT that I haved loved so dearly, is Goodkind's concept of magic. And even in this episode did they ******** it all up. Some random guy can just "make" magical maps?? I dont even wnat to go all into how wrong and off that is. I have looked and read hard throughout the books to fully understand magic in SOT. AND THEY DID IT ALL WRONG.

AAAAAARGH scream scream scream scream  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 am
Has anyone been watching the series on a weekly basis?

I work when it comes on and have trouble finding the time to watch the episodes during the week, so feel free to post about it, whether good or bad.

Even if I hate it, I still want to know what they're doing. SOT fan till the end... crying  

First Wizard Zorander
Vice Captain

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:52 pm
They call me...

-ignoring the show- I bought Angel season 4 for my sister though, I'm probably gonna watch it before wrapping it up for Christmas. x3 I wanna know what goes on!!! D: I've watched the first three seasons almost religiously, that's how good it is. :3

...Mister Bunbuns~

Legend of the Seeker Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces