Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
I think I'm going to be sick! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:49 pm
You said abortion is already legal, I responded stating that there are state laws that do things to help prevent it!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:49 pm
My neighbor- great guy, fun to be around, good friend and all that- but he is waaay left. He's a hardcore liberal, and even HE is weirded out by all these fans frothing at the mouth over Obama. The guy who got a "thrill going up his leg" made my dad think people were having orgasms watching his speeches. It is totally ridiculous. I was looking in a catalog over my mom's shoulder and an "Obama gold dollar" catches my eye. This was before his inauguration I might add. He wasn't even president yet and they made him a freaking coin! You didn't see this kind of thing with bush... not that I would have wanted that, but this truly shows off the media bias.  

SHl NO KAGE

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:59 am
Shin no Kage
My neighbor- great guy, fun to be around, good friend and all that- but he is waaay left. He's a hardcore liberal, and even HE is weirded out by all these fans frothing at the mouth over Obama. The guy who got a "thrill going up his leg" made my dad think people were having orgasms watching his speeches. It is totally ridiculous. I was looking in a catalog over my mom's shoulder and an "Obama gold dollar" catches my eye. This was before his inauguration I might add. He wasn't even president yet and they made him a freaking coin! You didn't see this kind of thing with bush... not that I would have wanted that, but this truly shows off the media bias.

I have a strong belief that because he's African-American that people seem to take this as some great guy based on the color of his skin. Pretty much I believe all this stuff is just reverse racism... which probably makes me sound crazy.

My Dad said "Well think about it, who's the most powerful person in this country." Me, "The president *in a way*" and "what's the most powerful nation in the world" me "The USA." "So, really, this is the first time since Alexander the Great that a black man has been the most powerful."

My Dad's conservative... but slightly to the left with social issues.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:57 pm
Rainbowfied Mouse
You said abortion is already legal, I responded stating that there are state laws that do things to help prevent it!

Ok, next time you say that abortion is one of "the things that are going to happen" be more specific. You made it sound like you didn't know that.  

Garrett31212

Garrett31212

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:00 pm
I'm personally getting tired of the whole black president thing as well. And they call us Southerners racist.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 pm
Garrett31212
I'm personally getting tired of the whole black president thing as well. And they call us Southerners racist.

I find racism to be overrated. No one is really racist (aside from a few members of society,) but I swear everyone calls on any action to be racist or offending. It's annoying. Like I really hate it when I am slightly irritated to someone that's, black, per say to go along with this, and they go

"You made me a slave."

I would like to ******** no I didn't, that was my great great grandparents, and your living in the north, get over it."

However, I just say I'm sorry. >.>; It annoys the heck out of me. I don't think of anybody as any less of a human based on skin color.  

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:09 am
Garrett31212
stareyed_in_LA
I think that showcases a problem with Americans. We expect too much out of something. We have all of these ridiculous standards about everything that just can't be met.

I am glad I didn't vote for Obama. Just in case he ******** up big time, I am going to laugh at those who voted for him.

He already has. Guantanamo is shutting down.

I'm a lot more alarmed by that Gitmo closing than anything else. It's not so much that they wanted to close the facility than that they rushed to close it without resolving any of the underlying issues of why closing it is a bad idea. Now we're committed to closing a facility full of dangerous men with absolutely no good place to put them. A poorly thought out decision on Obama's part.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:06 pm
Rainbowfied Mouse
Garrett31212

I find racism to be overrated. No one is really racist (aside from a few members of society,) but I swear everyone calls on any action to be racist or offending. It's annoying. Like I really hate it when I am slightly irritated to someone that's, black, per say to go along with this, and they go

"You made me a slave."

I would like to ******** no I didn't, that was my great great grandparents, and your living in the north, get over it."

However, I just say I'm sorry. >.>; It annoys the heck out of me. I don't think of anybody as any less of a human based on skin color.

Did that scenario ever really happen?  

Garrett31212

Latopazora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:16 am
Lord Bitememan
Garrett31212
stareyed_in_LA
I think that showcases a problem with Americans. We expect too much out of something. We have all of these ridiculous standards about everything that just can't be met.

I am glad I didn't vote for Obama. Just in case he ******** up big time, I am going to laugh at those who voted for him.

He already has. Guantanamo is shutting down.

I'm a lot more alarmed by that Gitmo closing than anything else. It's not so much that they wanted to close the facility than that they rushed to close it without resolving any of the underlying issues of why closing it is a bad idea. Now we're committed to closing a facility full of dangerous men with absolutely no good place to put them. A poorly thought out decision on Obama's part.

Well, their plan for the prisoners were to place them in American prisons, and two places that were considered was a place in Kansas and Camp Pendleton- which is just north of San Diego, CA. That decision was turned down, since those were military areas and that's where military families lived. And they didn't want to endanger the families of fighting men/women overseas. Now, the thought to put the Gitmo prisoners in the Alcatraz in San Fran. That would've been a good place to put them, just update it, since was on an island and heavily secure. Of couse, Nancy Palosi said "Not in my backyard!"
The whole Gitmo fiasco really does astound and frighten me. People wants the prison to be closed, no body wants to take responsibility for the prisoners, and we can't just let them go. So the whole situation is frightening.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:22 am
Garrett31212
Rainbowfied Mouse
Garrett31212

"You made me a slave."

Did that scenario ever really happen?

It happens all the time at school >.>;;
It stopped about 3years ago... but yes, it used to happen a lot.  

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200

spongecool890

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:41 am
Latopazora
I'm sure Obama is a great person, and for all I know, he may just be a good president. What makes me sick is all this mushy coverage of the guy, and he hasn't done anything to warrant it!
There's all these memorabilia and fanfare for the guy, and then there's the 180 for Bush, and it drives me nuts. I'm not a Bush fan, but I certainly don't hate the guy. There's no reason all this Obama-worship and Bush-hatred! This is getting out of control, people are just brain dead. And then I keep hearing people talk about how the democrats are going to fix everything and everything will be ok, because the republicans will be gone. Politics and economics are not that simplistic!

Right now, I kinda feel sorry for Obama. He's being put on such a high pedestal and if he doesn't meet the people's expectations, he's going to fall big time! The way I see it, Obama's administration is a large tower built on sand and there's a large storm coming. I'm not saying he's bad, just that he's not standing on much of a foundation. What is he going to do if we were to get hit again, or when other countries stop lending us money?

The only thing I can tell for sure is that Obama memorabilia is going to be worth a lot less when he leaves the White House.
i agree 100% but a lot of people think he is the one who is going to fix this. i personally think he is going to make it worse. he wants us to drive those gay hybrids and pries es dude im not gay. and gas is not $6 a gallon!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:44 am
Rainbowfied Mouse
Latopazora
I don't want Obama to ******** up, because if he screws up- America is screwed.

We have a congress that would need a bipartisan effort to do even half the things he says, he needs to go through them first, unless he creates an executive order. Our system will keep him in place if need be. The only things that are definitely happen are Gay Rights, Abortion, and higher taxes on the rich. Though my opinions on the 1st and 3rd are probably opposite of yours. All the other stuff, well most other stuff, he wants to do will have a hard time getting past the Reps and Senators. Besides, if he screws up, do you really think people will care all that much, I mean look at Bush, a lot of people think he screwed up... So long as Obama doesn't follow most of Bush's policies he'll be in safeguard of the people caring, and then blame anything economically wrong, or foreign-wise wrong on Bush because a lot of people believe he had bad policies on both issues.
also congress has 2/3 of democrats so they can pass any bill without a single republican vote and it was true  

spongecool890

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:32 am
spongecool890
Rainbowfied Mouse
Latopazora
I don't want Obama to ******** up, because if he screws up- America is screwed.

We have a congress that would need a bipartisan effort to do even half the things he says, he needs to go through them first, unless he creates an executive order. Our system will keep him in place if need be. The only things that are definitely happen are Gay Rights, Abortion, and higher taxes on the rich. Though my opinions on the 1st and 3rd are probably opposite of yours. All the other stuff, well most other stuff, he wants to do will have a hard time getting past the Reps and Senators. Besides, if he screws up, do you really think people will care all that much, I mean look at Bush, a lot of people think he screwed up... So long as Obama doesn't follow most of Bush's policies he'll be in safeguard of the people caring, and then blame anything economically wrong, or foreign-wise wrong on Bush because a lot of people believe he had bad policies on both issues.
also congress has 2/3 of democrats so they can pass any bill without a single republican vote and it was true

Congress is not 2/3 democrat. Congress usually stays between 60% at the highest standards.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There still needs to be bipartisan effort to get OBama legislation through... not all Democrats agree with him, however, not all Republicans are against him.

House

Senate

314/533 = 59%
2/3s = 67%  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 am
Quote:
i agree 100% but a lot of people think he is the one who is going to fix this. i personally think he is going to make it worse. he wants us to drive those gay hybrids and pries es dude im not gay. and gas is not $6 a gallon!

The issue with the hybrids is not that they're "gay" (unless you want to tell Shawn Hannity that his hybrid SUV is "gay"). The issue with the hybrids is that they're expensive. That wouldn't be an issue if government's solution were to offer you tax incentives to buy one, but that's not government's solution. Government's solution will be to crack up taxes on gasoline to discourage consumption, then send you unfeeling flyers steering you towards hybrids when you complain about $6 a gallon gas where $4 of the price is an excise tax. It's not going to put the screws to the rich, who could afford both the vehicles or the gasis they so chose, it's going to affect the poor who can afford neither the gas nor the hybrid vehicles.

As to the congressional majorities, Democrats do not have a 2/3 majority in Congress. They have large majorities, but those can play out in different ways. The Democrats have a sizeable majority in the House, short of 2/3. It doesn't really matter though, the House works in such a way that you only need to have a 1 seat majority to ram through anything your membership agrees with. With a 1 seat majority you can, in theory, close the opposition out of any role in governance in the House. The only obstacle with a 1 seat majority is the proportion of your membership that believes in conciliatory play. That's much more likely to be a factor with a small majority than a large one.

The senate is a different story. The magic number is 60. You need 60 senators to have a "filibuster-proof" majority. Now, in the Senate a committed minority can kill a bill with a filibuster. You need 60 votes to shut down a filibuster. The Democrats have 56 senators, and two nominally independant senators who caucus with them (Rainbow's numbers consider Al Franken of Minnesota a senator, he has not yet been certified by the state). Now, this doesn't mean the Democrats NEED Republican support to get legislation through. It means the Democrats need the tacit acceptance of those who won't support a piece of legislation to let it become a law over their objection. This will be most pieces of legislation and appointees to offices.

The only time you need 2/3 majorities is when you want to amend the Constitution. If Republicans screw up, the Dems might get that. So,, they need to play it carefully over the next two years to ensure 2010 doesn't go the way of 2006 and 2008.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

XcoldhandsX

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:00 pm
Latopazora
I'm sure Obama is a great person, and for all I know, he may just be a good president. What makes me sick is all this mushy coverage of the guy, and he hasn't done anything to warrant it!
There's all these memorabilia and fanfare for the guy, and then there's the 180 for Bush, and it drives me nuts. I'm not a Bush fan, but I certainly don't hate the guy. There's no reason all this Obama-worship and Bush-hatred! This is getting out of control, people are just brain dead. And then I keep hearing people talk about how the democrats are going to fix everything and everything will be ok, because the republicans will be gone. Politics and economics are not that simplistic!

Right now, I kinda feel sorry for Obama. He's being put on such a high pedestal and if he doesn't meet the people's expectations, he's going to fall big time! The way I see it, Obama's administration is a large tower built on sand and there's a large storm coming. I'm not saying he's bad, just that he's not standing on much of a foundation. What is he going to do if we were to get hit again, or when other countries stop lending us money?

The only thing I can tell for sure is that Obama memorabilia is going to be worth a lot less when he leaves the White House.

Well for one theres the fact that the public is brainwashed to hate bush by the main stream media.
Dont forget the whole oozing, disgusting, unbearable love affair the Media has for Obama.
My point being that it is very likely that the media has made Obama too big to fail. AKA: When he screws up (which he will because its impossible to live up to all his promises) he will already be so loved that no real damage will have been done to his reputation. After all when FDR actually made The Great Depression longer with the overgrowth of government the only thing he had to do is look back and say "It was all Hoover's fault". History will most likely repeat itself.  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff