100%
 100%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 34

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:59 pm
Rhed King
~Xiloscent~
Waynebrizzle
My money's on however they're manufacturing Brawl.

Dust sounds like an excuse.
you should see the dust in my room. it actually disgusts me.

but yeah even though i could fill a bicket with al the dust in my room, my Wii is fine. and i do everything on that list.

trust me man, It's only a matter of when. Nintendo says that about 90% of wii systems have this problem (they also say there's no way to fix this disc problem, I don't believe that though).

regardless the dust thing is the biggie, cause the back of your wii is like a Kirby. It inhales all of the time. Normally this isn't a problem, cause it siphons air through the wii to cool it. Howevers, if dust gets inside yo' Kirby, he stars having some allergic problems and can't suck in air as well. This means he needs to work extra hard to keep his house cool if he still wants to do donuts in his bumper car. (you can also give Zyrtec to your mini wii kirby to help him out)

(translation: dust clogs the very weak vents on the wii, this makes it harder for the disc reader to read the spinning disc, this makes your wii work harder, puts more stress on the disc, creating a spherical scratch on the outside rim of your disc [you can check that with an LED pocket light] overtime that scratch hurts the wii itself)

This damages the disc reader quite permanently so the only way to fix that is to have nintendo fix your wii. Right now they are doing it for free, so if you start having problems you can fix them quick and free. It takes about 10 days to do this, but they will only fix it once.
you must not know.

I'm always on the short side of statistics.

i'm part of the 10% not affected by this.

i'm pretty sure of it too.

i got my Wii a couple months after release.
and my computer is suckin all the free floating dust in my room so yeah. not much to vaccume when you have a 7 fan computer doing it 24/7 xD  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:12 pm
I have my Wii vertical, so most of the dust is blocked by the stand when it's intaking.

Something kind of like scratching happened with my old Wii though. It scratched up my copy of MGS: Twin Snakes, but not in the way you'd expect. It scratched the TOP side, so I can actually play the game perfectly fine still, it's just not too pretty to look at. I was even playing Galaxy around the same time, but that disc is perfectly fine.

When I explained that to Nintendo they had no idea what the cause was.  

Waynebrizzle

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 pm
Waynebrizzle
I have my Wii vertical, so most of the dust is blocked by the stand when it's intaking.

Something kind of like scratching happened with my old Wii though. It scratched up my copy of MGS: Twin Snakes, but not in the way you'd expect. It scratched the TOP side, so I can actually play the game perfectly fine still, it's just not too pretty to look at. I was even playing Galaxy around the same time, but that disc is perfectly fine.

When I explained that to Nintendo they had no idea what the cause was.
were you playing in a rock quarry?

i woulda asked that.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:19 am
So I need to leave the disc drive without disc if I do not play?

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW-

I need to change my habits.  

The Rawk Hawk

Fashionable Nerd

6,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200

marci-parci

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:25 pm
I've neve heard of this problem before.
My Wii actaully sits on a spot where dust collects in my room, and I never take the disc out. Thus far, nothing has happened.
Now I'm kinda paranoid.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 pm
The Rawk Hawk
So I need to leave the disc drive without disc if I do not play?

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW-

I need to change my habits.

you sound like a perfect candidate to participate in the poll 3nodding

yeash, the dust thing kinda feels like an excuse to me too, but I can see how it's plausible

also, vertical, on stand, off on floor, not tucked in corner is ideal place for wii.

Or so they say...

oh the joke didn't work cause we weren't talking about beer...

oh...  

Rhed King

Evalad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:28 pm
What's with the new generation systems breaking, now I'm afraid my PS3 and Wii are going to explode all at once. The only reason I didn't like the 360, was the fluster on the red ring... Alright, I lied, I didn't like the fact they dropped their first system like yesterdays news, but planned to get a 360 after the issue, now I have no money and I'm rambleing.... biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:47 pm
Rhed King
Brawl, and a few other games, are double layered discs. They have this double layer to keep extra content, since a single layer disc would be in effective. Unfortunately, double layer discs can contaminate your disc reader on the wii. and are more susceptible to breaking once this happens. More importantly, the wii will not be able to read any kind of disc for even a brief duration once this happens. There are a few ways that you can get your wii contaminated IF YOU HAVE EVER EVEN INSERTED A DOUBLE LAYER DISC IN YOU WII!

One. Leave a disc in the disc drive when the console is off.

Two. Swap the wii from vertical to horizontal(or visa versa) while the wii is on.

Three. Letting dust build up on the wii.

Four. Ejecting a disc while playing the game.

Five. Cleaning a disc incorrectly, and then putting it in the wi

If you try to clean your discs, odds are your doing it wrong. Never wipe in a circular motion. Take a non fiber cloth (shirt works, so does shamwow) and wipe the disc from the center to the ousite in a straight line. basically draw a radius on your disc with the cloth, and do that around the disc intil you stop caring.

Basically my wii died because of contaminants, and when I came on here today I noticed the what's in your console thread. It got me thinking that while convenient to just pick up and play a game. It can hurt your wii if you have ever used a double layer disc.

I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, just thought this would help.

So are you going to get another Wii? Or is Nintendo willing to fix it for you?  

ravemast

Rhed King

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:51 pm
Nintendo fixes this problem for free the first time it happens. if it happens again, not so much.

(they can tell by your wii's code so don't bother trying to scoot by)

fixing this problem takes about 10 days from sent out to sent back. My friend got it done in 9, I got mine fixed in 7 but the site says 10.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS IS TO NOT PHYSICALLY MOVE THE WII WHEN IT'S ON. Do that and it's gg for your wii. No johns.

btw the poll seems quite unanimous.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:17 pm
Man, these new consoles are freakin' STUPID. Why the hell are they breaking all over the damn place when they cost a frickin' $300???? That's freakin' bull s**t! My little brother bought a used 64 YEARS ago, and it still works fine, but with all these new and so-called "improved" stations, we experience breakdown, after breakdown, after breakdown?! It's insane! Why can't they make ONE video game station nowadays that isn't a freakin' endurance JOKE?! Aren't they supposed to be testing for this kind of crap BEFORE they send it out?! I think that they just made them like this so that when they break (more than once), you'll have to buy a new one.

And I'm preaching to the chior stare . . . .  

GrowingDandelion

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:18 pm
I've done the whole leave a disc in my wii while its off and i haven't had a problem in the two years I've had it. GCN controller sockets and memory card spots are always open as well. worse I've had it would be when a game doesn't load, but after i turn the wii off and back on then restart the game boom bam its working.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:39 pm
GrowingDandelion
Man, these new consoles are freakin' STUPID. Why the hell are they breaking all over the damn place when they cost a frickin' $300???? That's freakin' bull s**t! My little brother bought a used 64 YEARS ago, and it still works fine, but with all these new and so-called "improved" stations, we experience breakdown, after breakdown, after breakdown?! It's insane! Why can't they make ONE video game station nowadays that isn't a freakin' endurance JOKE?! Aren't they supposed to be testing for this kind of crap BEFORE they send it out?! I think that they just made them like this so that when they break (more than once), you'll have to buy a new one.

PREAH SISTA PREACH!

yeah its kind of ridiculous that this is happening but then again, the systems are alot more complicated thus alot fragile than the old systems. I bet you could drop a N64 off your bed and it'll still work as if you did that with a Wii, no its too gruesome. But I agree its ridiculus for that to happen.

BlueSparker

Supersephiroth7

Interesting Codger

3,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 pm
Rhed King
Nintendo fixes this problem for free the first time it happens. if it happens again, not so much.

(they can tell by your wii's code so don't bother trying to scoot by)

fixing this problem takes about 10 days from sent out to sent back. My friend got it done in 9, I got mine fixed in 7 but the site says 10.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS IS TO NOT PHYSICALLY MOVE THE WII WHEN IT'S ON. Do that and it's gg for your wii. No johns.

btw the poll seems quite unanimous.
After they fix it , they extend the warranty by a year. It's happened to me twice and luckily for me it happened before the warranty was up. Guess I'm lucky XD, or would that be unlucky?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:42 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17ZyVs6u6o

Wonder if you could do this with the 360 PS3 and Wii. With at least one of them still working, doubt it but you never know.  

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

GrowingDandelion

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:33 pm
BlueSparker
GrowingDandelion

PREAH SISTA PREACH!

yeah its kind of ridiculous that this is happening but then again, the systems are alot more complicated thus alot fragile than the old systems. I bet you could drop a N64 off your bed and it'll still work as if you did that with a Wii, no its too gruesome. But I agree its ridiculus for that to happen.

Oh, goodie. ^^

I remember with my cousin's 64 that the most it would do was freeze up when the red expansion thing got too hot. And what did we do? We got ourselves a fan and cooled that sucker down! And compresed air fixed a lot of problems. The only two systems that we had problems with were the Playstation and the Gamecube. They were both pre-used though, and the Gamecube did last a couple of years. I think it was the disks that eventually killed it. (Which brings up another point: I MISS CARTIDGES, DAMMIT!! scream ) I guess the computer I'm using right now could also fall under the "dead" category, but my uncle ordered it and got bamboozled or something into buying a computer with really crappy memory and video card.

Now I don't know if buying a Wii is worth it. (Especially since I recieved the money for my astonishing mathematics and science abilities.)  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff