Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Something I meant to write here, but put in the wrong guild Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who is to blame for teen pregnancy?
  Darwin
  Yo Momma
  Abstinence Only Eduation
View Results

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:12 pm
Dark_lord_15
Granny Duck: So how old is your son? I am a freshman and there are already 2 girls in our grade that have given birth and another that is about 6 months pregnant. So obviously, right choices IS NOT helping a bit.
That was another thing they told us. Apparently we don't have those hormones naturally... those were put there by ideas and lifestyles (which takes us back to the Darwin argument... ugh!)

My son has recently turned two. I have worked very hard to stay where I am. These girls do not understand what they are getting themselves into. We need a better sex education program in our schools.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:05 pm
Dark_lord_15

That's what we did... except we looked at both and our instructor thought that the pictures were funny and made crude jokes about deformed penises and s**t like that. ew.
User Image

Wow, that's mature. If an instructor is supposed to be teaching teenagers about sex and STDs, then s/he should know better than to encourage the immaturity that's almost definitely going to be present in the classroom in the first place. >.>;

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Dark_lord_15

That's what we did... except we looked at both and our instructor thought that the pictures were funny and made crude jokes about deformed penises and s**t like that. ew.
User Image

Wow, that's mature. If an instructor is supposed to be teaching teenagers about sex and STDs, then s/he should know better than to encourage the immaturity that's almost definitely going to be present in the classroom in the first place. >.>;

That's exactly how I felt about it... I was already pissed because of their initial argument, but her immaturity was repulsive. She was pointing out spots on pictures and making fun of the diseases... she said syphillis looked like potato salad... *vomit*
they should die.
now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:47 pm
We were supposed to have health/sex ed classes in middle school and highschool, but I never got them. I always took some classes that made it impossible for those classes to be put into my schedule, so I've never been in one. (I didn't do it on purpose though...)

I didn't miss out on anything though, trust me. First of all, my dad's a doctor, so I get much disturbing and useful medical knowledge drummed into me constantly. Secondly, I was in a science program where we had this one teacher for our advanced classes in biology, chemistry, physics who took it upon himself to teach us what we "missed out on" in health class because of our schedule. Basically he denounced the classes they taught as lame and ineffective that didn't teach you things you really needed and what you did need to know, they weren't teaching them well or at all...then he went on from there. Also, being in a science program, you learn a lot about human bodily functions, you know....

I liked the way I learned health/sex ed. In a sceintific setting with proffesionals in the field comprehensively explaining it to you, rather than some preacher or parent coming in and saying "Sex is bad. Don't do it. Use a condom or you will spread AIDS and get pregnent and fail in life." That doesn't seem quite effective to me. But if you learn about all the gritty details and understand what and how behind all the things they talk to you about in health class in depth, then suddenly you'll take the "use a condom" warning a lot more seriously.  

Henneth Annun

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:01 am
I wish that some people would take sex-ed alot more seriously. It would be a great idea to try to find willing people to come in and talk about these experiences personally. You know kids who have had kids, people who actually have some of these diseases. Try to impress on students how serious these situations can be.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:10 pm
Granny Duck
I wish that some people would take sex-ed alot more seriously. It would be a great idea to try to find willing people to come in and talk about these experiences personally. You know kids who have had kids, people who actually have some of these diseases. Try to impress on students how serious these situations can be.

Well, on that note, a woman named Barb Wise came and talked to us about a month ago... she had AIDS and she talked about how it has affected her life and about how her bad decisions have ruined her life... and she and her husband talked a lot about love and trust because they got married AFTER he found out she had AIDS and they haven't had sex (which makes him a literal 40-year-old virgin) and how she wishes she'd saved herself... I was impressed. She started crying when her husband stood up to talk. Poor fella'

Dark_lord_15

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces