Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
[Discussion] Guild Economy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:05 am
NomNomNominal
LillianSaire
The point was that the selling threads aren't where they belong, so if the suggestion that guilds are not being sold much is based on the Registered guilds forum, then the data is skewed and should include misplaced threads, such as the abundant amount in the Guilds forum.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

However as a noob (I've only been on Gaia for a little over 6 months), maybe you guys could enlighten me on the whole misplaced thread fiasco that's going on beween Guilds and Registered Guilds. Am I correct in perceiving that Guilds is for discussion while Registered Guilds is for advertising?

You could be forgiven for thinking so. smile

The Guilds forum was actually created well before the Gaia Guild Network was made. The word "guild" basically referred to a thread that was organised to accommodate a community around some topic.

Then came the GGN, where real guilds - separate forums administrated by users - became possible. Registered Guilds was created to effectively be the GGN's discussion forum. "GGN Discussion" would have been far too obvious a name, though, so the staff thought up the term "registered" to try to distinguish between GGN guilds and regular ol' guild threads.

What, you didn't get that? Huh.

The third player here, until recently, was the Captains' Guild. This was never a straightforward relationship, but to cut a long story short, the Captains' Guild was deactivated and, for a reason understood only by the admins, Registered Guilds became a subforum of Guilds.

They have nothing to do with each other. The Guilds forum is still for "guild-threads," and Registered Guilds is still for pretty much any thread related to the GGN (including ads for GGN guilds). But you have to really get stuck into the stickies to know this.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:37 am
Guilds=a-guild-in-a-thread
RG=registered guilds=GGN guilds
GGN=Gaia Guild Network, or the separate server area that real guilds, not just a thread.  

LillianSaire

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm
WindowOpener
NomNomNominal
LillianSaire
The point was that the selling threads aren't where they belong, so if the suggestion that guilds are not being sold much is based on the Registered guilds forum, then the data is skewed and should include misplaced threads, such as the abundant amount in the Guilds forum.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

However as a noob (I've only been on Gaia for a little over 6 months), maybe you guys could enlighten me on the whole misplaced thread fiasco that's going on beween Guilds and Registered Guilds. Am I correct in perceiving that Guilds is for discussion while Registered Guilds is for advertising?

You could be forgiven for thinking so. smile

The Guilds forum was actually created well before the Gaia Guild Network was made. The word "guild" basically referred to a thread that was organised to accommodate a community around some topic.

Then came the GGN, where real guilds - separate forums administrated by users - became possible. Registered Guilds was created to effectively be the GGN's discussion forum. "GGN Discussion" would have been far too obvious a name, though, so the staff thought up the term "registered" to try to distinguish between GGN guilds and regular ol' guild threads.

What, you didn't get that? Huh.

The third player here, until recently, was the Captains' Guild. This was never a straightforward relationship, but to cut a long story short, the Captains' Guild was deactivated and, for a reason understood only by the admins, Registered Guilds became a subforum of Guilds.

They have nothing to do with each other. The Guilds forum is still for "guild-threads," and Registered Guilds is still for pretty much any thread related to the GGN (including ads for GGN guilds). But you have to really get stuck into the stickies to know this.

So what you're saying is that there never was an advertising forum for thread-guilds or GGN guilds, am I correct? But given the general attitude of the Gaia community, I honestly don't think it's surprising that Registered Guilds turned into an advertising forum. My misunderstanding and perception of the functions of Guilds and Registered Guilds are based on what they ARE used for currently.

Maybe the better solution would be to create a new subforum for guild-threads and let Guilds be the discussion zone while Registered Guilds remains the advertising forum as it is today.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:55 pm
1. too many threads to relocate
2. RG is ads and questions, at least that is the intent, the thoughts are that RG needs to be its own forum, with either a QA sub, or an advertising sub.
3. WO, would it be possible for the cappy guild to open up for viewing only so that at least the guides can be copied by the original posters and reposted in RG? I know the admin that sit near the physical servers don't have time to use a flash drive, and that view only means you can't use quote or edit to also copy the code, but at least the information would not be lost.  

LillianSaire

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:30 am
I agree with you, definitely - I'd love to see Registered Guilds restored to full-forum status, and given subforums for advertising, Q&A, guild leading discussion (since that's what we've lost with the CG) and guild exchanging. Then the main forum could actually be used for general GGN discussion! And it could be renamed!

LillianSaire; Sure they have time to use a flash drive - that's the point of flash drives. ninja Don't get me wrong, I think the admins get a lot of things right, even sometimes in guilds, but mostly in this area I wouldn't expect anything to come from us prodding them to help the GGN community out by copying some threads from the CG to RG. (Even if we offer to do the work.)

Also, many of those guides are preserved in one or two of the spin-off guilds.

Actually re-posting those threads officially in RG was meant to be the admins' job. We can't do it for them (rather, we can't do it for us), and smaller GGN requests have been ignored before.

It wouldn't even take a flash drive - they could copy and paste them across in a half an hour. On this point I appreciate they're busy. But that's because they didn't organise time, when they deactivated the CG, to deliver any of the commitments that were outlined in the closure announcement.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:35 am
I thought the GGN servers couldn't communicate with regular forums. Or is it just a nice excuses tied with a pretty bow so that they aren't asked to move 500 threads to GGN guilds a day?  

LillianSaire

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:59 pm
Oh, no - they'd have to copy and paste the content of each post into new threads. It's not that efficient, and would waste a fair bit of time just waiting for pages to load and all of that.

It's the kind of thing that only gets done if you formally make it a task for staff, which it looks like it wasn't.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:31 pm
This guild needs to plan an AtA raid. They start each Monday at about the same time.  

LillianSaire

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:11 pm
LillianSaire
This guild needs to plan an AtA raid. They start each Monday at about the same time.

Another newb question. Sorry.
What's AtA stand for?

And I wonder if it'd be easier to just get people to start their guild-threads from scratch. Sure, there'd be quite a raucous about it at first, but I'm thinking of long term here.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:35 am
AtA = Ask the Admin. smile Link to last week's~

What do you mean by starting guild-threads from scratch?  

WindowOpener

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:31 pm
WindowOpener
Does anyone else think there are fewer guild sales happening now? Is it just me?

The market seems to be shriveling up!

This is highly unexpected. The global economy is stuck in the U-bend of the US' plumbing, so naturally the citizens of the world retreat to online hangouts like Gaia, Twitter and Neopets. This should provide billions of dollars' worth of stimulus to the flailing guild market.

So what's going on?

Is this a characteristically slow response to not-so-recent events, like the deactivation of the Captains' Guild, or Lanzer's passing remark about the hint of the merest suggestion of a possibility that guilds would be free in GGN 3.0?

Is this merely a reflection of the crashing value of guilds? We all know that 20k isn't what it used to be. The market is flooded, and the trend of resellers offering obligatory discounts has led to formerly too-good-to-refuse offers being barely enough to catch a buyer's attention.

Or is this all in my imagination? Ooooooh.

Discuss smile heart

Hey buddy, longe time. You can read my latest journal entry and that should give you good detail as to why guilds are not selling like they used to. in fact, it explains almost everything I think.

Accually, I will just post it in my next post.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:34 pm
Guild Trading, one of the most respected hobbies on gaia, GONE. With the arrival of Clans, the guild market hit an all time low and I doubt it will ever pick up again. I noticed its decline starting in mid 2006, when foolish, noobish sellers and buyers tried to become guild traders without the proper information. Used to be you would give an average discount of 2k to 5k, and you were competing. This was when Guild traders accually KNEW what they were doing. Galvatron, J-Barney, myself, Lucifer_rahl, and Triley were the guild traders of the "era of guild trading."

Later on after Lucifer, J-barney, and Galvatron stopped guild trading, I noticed ALOT of Noobs trying to take over the business, as you can see, they were unsuccessful. Very few accually turned out to be decent at guild trading and even fewer got good. Agrab0ekim is the only guild trader I know of who accually had good success guild trading. He started when guilds were in an even worst decline, you had to start giving 10k-13k discounts just to compete, this meant less profit.

In 2007, the market preety much seemed to stay consistant with the 10k-13k discounts, at the end of '07, wouldnt you believe it, another price drop. You started seeing discounts of up to 18k, this made guild trading a buyers market. However, guess what, it NEVER turned back into a sellers market because people started selling the guilds at even cheaper prices rather then holding onto them until it picked back up. Now guilds started selling for 10k-13k when they were wroth 20k+. This lasted until mid 2008, when I left gaia, you could no longer make profits for selling guilds, you baught the guilds at the low price of 10-13k, but couldnt resell them because everyone else was selling theres for 10k-13k, so bye, bye guild trading. When I got back on gaia earlier this week, I noticed a thing called Clans, when i studied the clans, what they looked like, how they were operated, how they were ran, I realised, guild trading would NEVER pick up again because a Clan IS a guild basically you can get for free.

So, thanks alot all you stupid Noobs who ruined the market, and thanks a whole bunch to gaia for completely screwing all us guild traders with the release of clans.

((The original can be found in my Journal))  

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:19 pm
WindowOpener
AtA = Ask the Admin. smile Link to last week's~

What do you mean by starting guild-threads from scratch?

Ahh... okay. I'm obviously showing my green, eh? redface

As for starting guild-threads from scratch, I mean creating a completely new thread in its new subforum home (we're assuming such a subforum is finally created in a perfect world blaugh ). It'll take more effort from the manager(s) of said thread, but a link from the old thread to the new would work. It'd also weed out inactive members in the process.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:22 am
WindowOpener
Also, if you're looking to sell...

I'm in the market for a quality, low-ID guild, am prepared to offer my entire share portfolio.

exactly how low an ID do you want, my lowest is ID_109, and I will soon be getting much lower. surprised  

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:24 am
Whoa, be careful with some of those sweeping statements, Jimmy. xd I'm not sure how you measure "respect" but I wonder what fraction of Gaia's populace ever even knew about guild trading to respect it or not!

Your note basically lists "noobs" offering big discounts and the introduction of Clans as the causes of the guild 'economy' fallout. This is partially true, although I don't really agree with you guys looking down your nose at people who sold guilds more cheaply than you. sweatdrop It's called competition!

Actually, on the surface it is, but I'd suggest the reality is linked to the timeline - the bigger discounts started rolling in around late-'07 you say, which fits in with the idea that inflation contributed to 20k being worth "less" than ever before. That's why the newer guild sellers could afford to just toss out their guilds when they got bored. This was when the staff's intention to tie people to their guilds with a serious upfront investment started to unravel.

So really, the culprit is inflation. smile The "stupid noobs" saw it happening and took advantage of it, and made the small circle of traders who had always considered themselves elite look like greedy slow-witted fools, before the mini-economy finally fell through. By the time Clans arrived - basically, free guilds where a one-per-person limit is balanced with a tenuous link to zOMG! - guild prices had pretty much hit the bottom.

That's my take on it. XP As an outsider who watched but didn't play, of course. Ya'll free to disagree. XD  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff