Favourite Vala Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:40 pm
Hmmm.... no.

Valar is defined as the 15 (or 14) greatest of the Ainur who descended into Ea. With them came the innumerable Maiar.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:07 pm
Feanor seemed to consider him a Vala. Of course, this gave him an excuse to be paranoid and possessive about the Shinies, but we can't all be perfect.

Quote:
...and the words of Melkor returned to [Feanor], saying that the Silmarils were not safe, if the Valar would possess them. 'And is he not Vala as are they,' said his thought, 'and does he not understand their hearts?' Yea, a thief shall reveal thieves!' Then he cried aloud: 'This thing I will not do of free will. But if the Valar will constrain me, then I shall know indeed that Melkor is of their kindred.'

Edit: Would it kill the poll if someone fixed the title of this thread? Now that I've noticed that it's misspelled, it's going to bother me to no end.  

Nimbrethil

Boolean Julian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:24 am
Nimbrethil
Feanor seemed to consider him a Vala. Of course, this gave him an excuse to be paranoid and possessive about the Shinies, but we can't all be perfect.

Quote:
...and the words of Melkor returned to [Feanor], saying that the Silmarils were not safe, if the Valar would possess them. 'And is he not Vala as are they,' said his thought, 'and does he not understand their hearts?' Yea, a thief shall reveal thieves!' Then he cried aloud: 'This thing I will not do of free will. But if the Valar will constrain me, then I shall know indeed that Melkor is of their kindred.'

Edit: Would it kill the poll if someone fixed the title of this thread? Now that I've noticed that it's misspelled, it's going to bother me to no end.

Oh, arse. Didn't notice that. Can do.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:33 am
Ulmo. He's number one as far as I'm concerned. I'm a winter/water baby and how he worked with Manwe for the snow and ice etc and the...oh gods i'm coming out completely inarticulately. I love water. that's the only way I can express it. Ulmo himself seems so noble and a tad angsty and I just...of course Yavanna is second and Varda third but...I sound like a complete moron. I'll stop now. sweatdrop  

Nolah de Fanel

MalikTous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:57 am
While I don't have a favourite, I do consider Melkor to be of the Valar species. Even the strongest light leaves shadow somewhere, and without that the viewer just goes snowblind... The other Valar may have cast him out of their company and society, but it takes much stronger power to change the soma...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:03 pm
Manwe's the man. He's the king of Arda and has the final say in everything the Valar do. Melkor is a brat, Mandos is too strict, Ulmo's a loner, and Aule is too impatient.  

SYFFER

Falathrim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:15 pm
Manwe is also the only Vala other than Melkor to be scolded by Eru.

xp  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:29 pm
Falathrim
Manwe is also the only Vala other than Melkor to be scolded by Eru.

xp
True. Eru also scolded Aule for creating the Dwarves. But Eru obviously likes Manwe better. He gave him the world for cryin out loud! xd Melkor was just jealous. I bet he was nagging and crying like a little baby but Tolkien edited that out stare  

SYFFER

Ithilvalan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:34 pm
I had come with the intention of merely saying my favorite Vala, which is Este, by the way, but now upon seeing this discussion, I must put in something of my own.

*nods in agreement to Falathrim*

Valaquenta- In the Silmarillion. "Melkor is counted no longer among the Valar, and his name is not spoken upon Earth."

He forsook the name Melkor when Feanor dubbed him Morgoth. He is no longer the Vala he was, "He who arises in Might"

However, I don't know if I refer to him collectively when I speak of the Valar....  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:14 pm
I'm going to add my two (probably misguided but well meaning) cents to this discussion. 3nodding

It seems to me that whether Melkor is one of the Valar depends on whether you consider Vala to be a race or not. i.e., if Vala is a race, like elves, dwarves, men or whatever, then Melkor is still a Vala. But if the Valar are holding jobs, for lack of a better word, then Melkor cannot remain of the Valar after he has been cast out.

I don't know if that made any sense... but I'm posting it anyway. sweatdrop  

Kalile Alako

SYFFER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:41 pm
What really confuses me is why did Eru give Melko so much power and so many gifts in the first place. If Eru casn forsee what happens in Middle-earth, why did he give Melko such power? The answer is probably obvious I just can't see it.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:41 pm
SYFFER
What really confuses me is why did Eru give Melko so much power and so many gifts in the first place. If Eru casn forsee what happens in Middle-earth, why did he give Melko such power? The answer is probably obvious I just can't see it.

Well, Melkor's name DOES mean he who arises in might. He and Manwe were "brethen" in Eru's thought or something like that, I think. And this brings us towards the question...if Eru is all knowing, why did he allow this all to happen? Why did he make Men flawed?  

Ithilvalan

Rhaella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:12 pm
My favourites are Ulmo and Nienna. The order depends on my mood. wink

Yoh-ko Rapper Ithilvalan
SYFFER

Well, Melkor's name DOES mean he who arises in might. He and Manwe were "brethen" in Eru's thought or something like that, I think. And this brings us towards the question...if Eru is all knowing, why did he allow this all to happen? Why did he make Men flawed?

Ah... the only answer I can think of in my sleep deprived state is that it depends on your point of view. When you're inside the picture (which in this case is Ea), you can't see enough of it to know what's really going on, or why...

Philosophy class is messing with my mind...

*flees*  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:10 pm
Ulmo is first on my list, because he stayed the most active in the business of the children of Illuvatar, and played a large role in helping them to figure out how to continue their existence in a world tainted by Morgoth's evil. Too bad Turgon had grown too enamored of his own work to leave. Seems to be a common Noldorin trait.
Yavanna is second because of preparation of Ea for the children of Illuvatar, and her desire that even the plants and animals of Middle Earth have proctection.
Nienna and Namo are wonderful as well. I don't have a voiceable reason, but I like them nonetheless.
I consider Melkor to be of the same "race" as the 14 Valar, but he is not referred to as such because of his betrayal.  

PearlZenith

ChewySkywalker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:23 am
This surprises me, no one likes the same male I do crying Ah well, it makes me special! As alot of other people (buh I fit in with the crowd) I love Varda. But I love Lorien much much more! So in simpler terms, Lorien is first and Varda is second. But they are both awesome.
In relation to the current discussion, I have no comment.  
Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff