Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Cutting Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

To Escape Detection

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:17 pm
E_Night
I chalanged myself not to cut last night and i didn't. I looked at the cuts today and thought why the hell am i doing this? I had PE today and i put makeup on my arm. My parents havent fought today, so its a good day. 3nodding
heart

Yay! :B I'm really happy for you. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:55 pm
I think cutting is a sign of weakness. I know its highly offensive. However, I would be lying or a moron if I didn't say my part. I think its for people who can not take the pressure of life. Does not understand anything about life or mainly beauty that life posses. Its a bit immature I think to cut oneself. There is other healthier, more progressive ways to relieve stress. This is just utterly ignorant to go and taint your body. If anyone who an Atheist and it is cutting oneself..that is really odd. I believe an Atheist is supposed to have a positive outlook on life. I believe Atheist defines human progression, human evolution, and/or human survival. Cutting does not become a solution to that.  

Zer0grief

To Escape Detection

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:22 pm
Zer0grief
I think cutting is a sign of weakness. I know its highly offensive. However, I would be lying or a moron if I didn't say my part. I think its for people who can not take the pressure of life. Does not understand anything about life or mainly beauty that life posses. Its a bit immature I think to cut oneself. There is other healthier, more progressive ways to relieve stress. This is just utterly ignorant to go and taint your body. If anyone who an Atheist and it is cutting oneself..that is really odd. I believe an Atheist is supposed to have a positive outlook on life. I believe Atheist defines human progression, human evolution, and/or human survival. Cutting does not become a solution to that.
The survival instinct is primitive, so, actually, through progression, we would be shedding that. Not saying that's happening, just making a point. The truth is, people who are atheist are probably, generally, a whole lot more depressed, because they think their life is going nowhere. No one said the truth was easy to take, and if you believe atheism is truth, most of the time you're probably not that happy.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:39 pm
~x.X.x~Misery~x.X.x~
Zer0grief
The survival instinct is primitive, so, actually, through progression, we would be shedding that. Not saying that's happening, just making a point. The truth is, people who are atheist are probably, generally, a whole lot more depressed, because they think their life is going nowhere. No one said the truth was easy to take, and if you believe atheism is truth, most of the time you're probably not that happy.

Actually most I' am happy. Knowing the truth shouldn't cause anybody to be depressed...you should embrace the truth...make you...not make a person weak  

Zer0grief

Pistil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:48 pm
I don't cut. I don't like the idea of people cutting, but I know people who do.

I do seek pain though, and usually resort to punching the walls of my house until the pain is unbearable. Usually all that I get is red knuckles (or cut), though last time I got bruising. Still, all the damage would be internal, so easy to hide.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:33 am
I do make cuts on mu left wrist when I am depressed...and then the day after...I like seeing the cuts...i helps me, to think over everything happening around me...I make cuts only when I want to take out my pain...cos it pains a lot from the inside...somehow it makes me better when I also feel it on the outside.

I am not addicted

I don't cut for pleasure

I havent done that for 5 months now stare  

punkinside

josiv

Loiterer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:09 pm
Wtf? You don't cut yourself for the joy or deppression. You do it for the conformity of emo. Stop this nonsense now. Or just cut yourself harder till you die. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:22 pm
Zer0grief
~x.X.x~Misery~x.X.x~
Zer0grief

Actually most I' am happy. Knowing the truth shouldn't cause anybody to be depressed...you should embrace the truth...make you...not make a person weak
I have to disagree with you. I don't see myself as weak cause i cut. I think i just need something that will wake me up. I have embraced the truth and i feel that really religion has nothing to do weather i cut myself (going on 2 weeks of not). Sure maybe for some people religion would cause people to cause harm or recieave it but for many teens its the stress of a parent or whathave you that causes a teen to cut (from litlle maganzine). I see myself as a happy person regardless of cuting. Why? because... I have the things i need and the ability to get the things i need. I appreciate life and all its glory. my cuts were a realeasee that i just wasn;t finding. All my pent up anger came out in a wrong way.  

E_Night

Spiteful_Sage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:51 pm
cutting is a means of control. you cut, you're causing yourself physical pain, it counteracts the feelings that you can't control your emotional pain, it puts you in control of the hurt and lets you express it in that way. it's all very logical and horrendously human.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:10 am
This thread is triggering.

Sometimes self injury is the only thing you can do, but if you know of other ways to get to the same place, please use those instead. It doesn't work for some people, but things like holding ice cubes or drawing on yourself in red pen are at least worth a try.

Anybody who feels they need to self injure in any way but who has only just started or who hasn't started yet should read this, but it's very triggering, so watch it.

Quote:
... Before you make that first cut remember. You will enjoy this. You will find the blood and pain release addictive. Even though you think you can make a few tiny cuts that aren't deep and will heal easily ...they will get deeper. They will scar. They will take sometimes months to heal!!! And years for the scars to fade! IF you think you can limit the cutting to one area of your body think again...it will spread when you run out of skin. Be prepared to withdraw from others and live in a constant state of shame. Even if you are the most honest person ever to live.... You will find yourself lying to the people you love. You will jerk back from your friends when they touch you as if their hands were dipped in poison. You will be terrified that they will feel something under the cloth of your shirt or because it just plain hurts so much to be touched.

Be prepared to get so out of control you fear your next cut because you don't know how bad it will be. Just wait for 10 cuts to turn into 100.... Be prepared for your entire life to revolve around thinking about cutting... Cutting and covering up cutting and just wait till that first time you cut "too deep." And you freak out because the blood won't stop...and you are gaping.... And you feel yourself shaking all over. You are having a panic attack and you are terrified but you can't tell anyone. So you sit there alone...praying it will be ok swearing you'll never let it go this far again...But you will and further. Don't worry, you will learn how to take care of your cuts so that you can go deeper and deeper and avoid the ER. And the better you get at treating your cuts the deeper they get.

You will lie to yourself and justify it when you find yourself spending 20, 30 or 50 dollars every time you go the pharmacy. You will feel the flutter of your heartbeat everytime you go to the counter to ring up your order. Butterfly strips...three or four different kinds of dressings...betadine.... Antibiotic cream...medical tape...scar reducers...You will tap your foot impatiently hoping the line will just move and no one will stare at you or wonder why you need all these things. And at the same time secretly hope someone will notice...someone who is standing in line with an armful of the same supplies...someone who understands� but of course that never happens.

Medical supplies won't be the only thing you spend all your money on. Be prepared to buy a new wardrobe...long sleeve shirts in summer colors, bracelets, wristbands, boots... gloves... the list goes on and on.

You will start looking at everyone in a different way...Scanning their bodies for any signs of SI... just hoping that you might meet someone like you so you don't feel so terribly alone. You won�t even think about it...as your eyes scan their wrists and arms...hoping just hoping they will be like you.... But they are not. You will see their clean arms and feel terribly ashamed and alone.

You will start doing a lot of things alone. You will always have to wash your laundry in private so know one sees the blood stains on your clothes and towels. You will always be cleaning up the blood...Scrubbing your bathroom floor...wiping the blood of your keyboard....

You won't be able to make it through a day without cutting.... Next thing you know you are in a public bathroom somewhere breaking open a scab with a sewing needle that you keep in your wallet for emergencies. When you get really desperate anything will be a cutting tool ...scissors...a car key...a needle ... a paperclip...even a pen. Doesn't matter what it is; if you need to cut bad enough you will find something.

Say goodbye to things you took for granted. Like wearing shorts or sandals...pedicures... sleeveless tops.
A normal summer day at the beach or in a swimming pool will become a far off memory for you.

Get ready to itch. Because you will itch and itch ...so much you will look like you have fleas or a skin disease.

You will become an expert on your body as you destroy it carefully... You will dream about cutting...you will dream about being exposed. It will haunt you day and night and take over your life. You will wish you never made that first cut because while you absolutely HATE cutting...at the same time you love it and can not live with out of it.

You have been warned...

http://www.beatingthebeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3924

The worst thing about self injury, particularly cutting, is that it scars you for life. For the rest of your life either you have to hide yourself or take criticism from people who never knew where you were at or how much you were hurting, or how much you needed it. It shouldn't be like that; self injury is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of desperation, but people don't understand that. People don't understand that a recovered self-harmer is so much stronger for having survived the things they'e been through. To most people, self-harmers or recovered self-harmers are weak and worthless.  

Foetus In Fetu

qrx3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:04 pm
Phaeton
I'm going to do my best to keep as much blood inside my veins as possible. 3nodding

It's weird. You try to avoid your veins you say? I cut wherever I see veins. I suppose that makes the typical cutting time right after a shower...

No, seriously, it's bad. I've been clean for a week now. Don't cut. You hurt people aorund you. They feel sad for you. And they itch like ******** hell, and eventually you'll cut more and deeper and get yourself killed.

Hey, join the Art of Life guild.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:17 pm
Zer0grief

Correct me if I'm wrong, we atheists tend to look for scientific, physical explanation of things, and dismiss intangible things like emotions. In fact, we search for a chemical cause to our emotions--less serotonin production, too much serotonin reabsorption, endorphins... Cutting, the pain, causes endorphins to be released in our brain, which causes happiness--or at least a relief from the emotional torment. It is a very logical way to deal with emotional pain.  

qrx3

E_Night

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:41 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:48 pm
I've never cut but my friend did. It was like pleasure to him, but while doing it he was smiling while bleeding. Cutting is rather enjoyable to some because when they get used to it, they don't feel a thing anymore, once the hand becomes unresponsive. He cut in front of me so I asked "What do you feel now?" he just looked at me & said "nothing", & continued doing it. I was rather thinking it would hurt, but seeing his reaction, it's not really painful so he rather does it everyday. As an atheist, I think cutting isn't the best way, but nobody really cares, though you can take your anger out while you're cutting, everything that hurts all that is inside of you, coming out with a slight bleed, some just take out their anger out on someone else, though some just think cutting is easier.
You know cutting will get you nowhere, so you can stop anytime 3nodding I myself think it's pointless anyway mad  

Sein-mit-Hasse

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:25 pm
Ok, hear me out on this one.

I see cutting not as a weakness at all. Someone who cuts is being brave not to keep their emotions locked up inside. Whether this is the right way to express the bottled up emotions is a different story.

Cutting is really NOT good. It's not the right way to go about. I know the 'something's gotta give' emotion, the pressure of emotional pain building up inside you. In fact, not a week ago I was so close. Just so close. I've never cut properly before, but yes, other mild forms of self injury (scratching, biting myself, holding something sharp in my hand and squeezing as hard as I could) I have tried, to try and release the pain.

And you know what? It works for about a second, then for days, weeks even, it's worse. Much worse. It doubles and trebles the pain inside. It's not even worth doing in the first place, because not only does it make you feel much, much worse, it damages you physically so you have to hide it.

a**l Jesus, you're wrong. You've obviously never felt real emotional pain, and i guess that when you do it will come as a hell of a shock.

So, E_Night, my advice to you? Just stop now. Quit before it get's worse. However, if that's the extent of my advice, it would be crap.

Here, I offer an alternative:

Like I said, about a week ago when I was tempted to cut so much, I got a pen and a pad of paper and I wrote. I wrote for two hours straight. I held nothing back. I wrote a ten page letter which I know I will never send, nor even look at again. It felt such a relief to get everything out onto paper, it was like all of the anger and worry, all of the pain was flowing through my fingertips and transfering itself into this little pad of paper.

This week, i've been so much better with it all.

Good luck heart

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces