Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Isn't This Just Sooooo Sweet of the Democrats - Another tax Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lexille

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:27 am
i WOULD carry on this redundant argument for nothing more than "having the last word"...

but that would be infantile...

i COULD say i also have the food for natural disasters (which my area is prone too) but that would derail your fun now wouldnt it...

ill just silently resign...

so what shall we argue about now?  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:56 am
Lennex3
im already storing up on goods like flour, corn meal, SUGAR, etc. (put in mylar bags and then into water proof storage buckets...) and preparing for the worst. i just can't even grasps how democratic congress think that hiking up taxes is going to help the economy, its even worse if you happen to be "wealthy" why should i pay more just because i went to college, earned a degree, and work for a living... its not just handed to me!

argh... pisses me off... scream

the worst part is they are trying to "fix" our economy when they should leave it alone. This economy was set up in such a way so that it can fix itself, when we mess with it all we are doing is prolonging the agony of people losing jobs and businesses turning to dust, for lack of a better word  

Twisted_Lover21

3,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200

Twisted_Lover21

3,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:05 pm
Lily Starr
We need the entire country just as pissed off as we are. The government belongs to we the people. They just don't happen to think so. But their gonna know pretty soon. Tax and spend is what the democrats are all about. Always have been. I am just as pissed at the republicans for not standing up for us up there on the hill. The economy been going this way since congress became democratic. Obama, pelosi, franks, dodd, and all the rest of them are a bunch of lunatics. Government isn't what made America the great country it is. Americans like you and me did that. Government never makes things better and they can't "fix" anything either since they are the ones who created the problem to start with. You can't spend your way out of a recession. We have never seen anything like this before EVER. It's not joke and it damn sure is not time to lie down and just lick your wounds. We have to fight back and right now. If we don't, America is lost forever. People are waking up. Freedom is being lost by the day and we have really great people out there fighting back. Knowledge is key. Follow Ron Pauls Campaign for Liberty if you don't already. There is absolutely no reason for this. It makes no sensse that people just let them do what they want to do and no one is ever held accountable. There is a new book out that is terrific. It's called Liberty and Tyanny by Mark Levin. You can find it on Amazon.com. This man tells it like it is. They don't have the power to do what they are doing, just not enough of the country is standing in their face. Bill HR1207 has a real chance of passing now. This is Ron Paul's Audit the Fed bill. This is most of the problem and he is after them big time. Now the bill has 150 co-sponsers and gaining steam everyday. I talked to a guy just last night from sweden. He told me that what the banks did caused a great problem around the world. They did not do what they are supposed to do and they are never held accountable. and they can't be because there is no law that says they have to show what the money is spent on or anything. That's just wrong. Since we are the ones who have to pay all that money back. And not just us either. For the next probably 4 generations or so they will be paying it back. All this time we have heard how bad and dangerous marijuana is. Now california wants to legalize it. Why? because it creates billions in tax revenue. Go figure. bad for you? hah! just like they said hemp was bad. then it was good. then it was bad again. It was never bad but they put a lot of people out of work because they made it illegal. The car manufacturers. They all had to move out of the country just so they can have a business and make a profit. Government shouldn't ever come into the private sector. Ever. This is gonna make people have to buy electric cars now. Can you afford that in this tax and spend day? No more gas and there is no shortage at all of the fossil fuels. But they make you think there is. Just like the hoax of the swine flu and they called it a pandemic. Look how quickly that went away. If it were a pandemic, it would have been unstoppable. God the lies are driving me nuts!

I feel the same way and personally I believe the democrats should just disappear, but you do have one thing wrong: the democrats weren't the only ones who destroyed our economy, as much as I hate to admit it, It was actually multiple ACTIONS that destroyed our economy and considering they had to be talked over with both democrats and republicans, it isn't right to pin the blame on one single party.

Here is what caused the messed up economy: Freddie and Franny Mac (I don't know if I spelled that right) forcing the banks and real estate corporations to GIVE people houses and money to people who either couldn't afford it, couldn't pay it back, or just waste it. Another one is this war and even though I was all for it and actually still am, it is still destroying what is left of our economy. Knowing these, I also know that it wasn't a single party's fault on its own, even if it is more the other party's fault. We have to give the blame to the correct people and not just the people who are total idiots.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:42 am
Nothing Lennex.

I will, however, attack the underpinnings of the obesity concern that is constantly raised by proponents of these soft drink taxes (not because you raised the concern, just because it would be great fun for me). Our "obesity epidemic" has nothing to do with increased consumption of sugary beverages. Those have been around for decades, and have been a staple in kid's diets for the same period. It has nothing to do with the transition to high fructose corn syrup, which happened several years before "New Coke" came out with no adverse affects happening for that same period. In actuality, we've seen a tremendous rise in the consumption of "Diet" beverages over the same time period, which don't use carbohydrate sweetener at all. The rise in the "obesity epidemic" is purely based on the change in the metric we use to determine obesity. Previously doctors used what is known as the "body fat composition test," which requires the doctor to actually examine you, determine what proportion of your body weight is fat (vs. bone, muscle, skin, etc), and make a determination of the actual fat weight of your body to determine obesity. Over the past decade doctors have moved away from using this much more scrutinizing test in favor of the mathematical BMI formula. BMI is a much more arbitrary index which calculates your weight vs. your height without taking into account any other variables. It has certain ratio fields that it determines as underweight, normal weight, overweight, and obese. It's problematic for several reasons. First and foremost is that it was never a medically devised metric for determining goal weights. It was devised by a Belgian sociologist at the turn of the century for determining not someone's weight, but their class in society. He very correctly identified that people born into opulence have better access to nutrition and grow to be much larger than those in the lower classes. However, people from diverse populations and genetic backgrounds will have different characteristics than 19th century Belgians would. The other problem is the scale is reductive, and doesn't take into account factors such as broader frames, more muscle mass, etc. If you calculate Arnold Schwartzeneggar's BMI, he's obese. Body fat composition, on the other hand, would have indicated he is far from it. I have a fairly broad frame myself. Back in boarding school I caught a fairly nasty illness that lingered for over a month and destroyed my appetite. The doctor weighed me and informed me that I was underweight and that my cheeks were actually starting to sink in. She informed me that if I dropped any more weight I could expect a round of hospitalization and IV nutrients. I plugged my height and that weight, later, into a BMI calculator and it came back as normal range.

So, while certainly we have become a more opulent society over the last 20 years, and that opulence has certainly led to some corresponding degree of girth in our society, the main bulge (no pun intended) in the distribution of population entering the obese column reflects the shift in the medical industry using the BMI calculation as opposed to more rigorous tests. The real proof is that Europe has had a nearly simultaneous spike in obesity levels despite the "more healthy lifestyles" they lead.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas