Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply U/C
What do you think of the crew call-out? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You ready for new crew?
  yes
  no
View Results

MorazaDarkheart

Dedicated Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:13 am
Anime  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:51 pm
I don't care for the rp's in anime. I fee like everyone is borrowing ideas rather than being original and thinking up stuff on their own.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

Dan the Dante

Familiar Guildsman

7,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:39 pm
@Moraza: Oh it's in Anime, the Anime's title is Mass Effects-- sorry can't join, never heard of the anime. Good luck to you though.

@Novama: There are other Anime RP's that are good. Sort of like a what-if scenario. Like in my FMA RP, what if the State mass produced the Red Stone, etc.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:17 am
There is no Anime named Mass Effect, it is based off the game. I mearly said Anime because it is shorter then saying Anime/TV/Video Games/Movies/Books subforum, most people call it Anime subforum because it is listed first.

And i do try be creative with my work there, the Mass Effect rp for example has nothing to do with the plot of the game.  

MorazaDarkheart

Dedicated Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Dan the Dante

Familiar Guildsman

7,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:14 pm
I see, regardless I still do not know a game with the title Mass Effects.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:15 pm
Using any part of someone's idea is still being lazy and puts constraints on the creative potential of the rp had it been completely original.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

MorazaDarkheart

Dedicated Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:57 pm
I understand what your saying, but i do it for love of the established universes not lazyness. Some rps bassed on anime/games and the like can give constrains, but sometime they are very open. Not to say im never 100% origian, its just my other projecrts tend to not go so well, i am planning on taking another vew swings at the Vampires subforum.

In a more direct response to you Novama, In an 100% origanal Rp, isnt giving a story of what had happened, information on what your suposed to do, a explination of what characters can and can not do, and even giving locations you can go, setting up all that just the same as using an excisting 'thing' and just as constricting? The only difrence is who established, either way perticipents are constricted to conform to what has been established. Creative potentail is taken the moment you give a story.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 pm
You are grasping but still falling short. Copy rp's use worlds that have been established and it is limited because now everyone will rp according to that worlds rules because most are clear. Deathnote rp for ex: There is going to be a deathnote involved and there are bound to be shinigami. This means people are guaranteed to die if their name is written, so they go through the rp trying to stay alive regardless of the twinks that have been made to the original storyline of the anime. If they took the the deathnote book out, then there wouldn't be much of a point in calling it a deathnote rp.

Original rp's are based in worlds completely unestablished. Anything not specifically stated by the author is up to interpretation. The copy rp's will never have that freedom. Also, I feel that copies rarely due the original justice and are more often than not just a joke.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

MorazaDarkheart

Dedicated Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:01 pm
Believie it or not, i agree with you, some things such as Death Note are too constricting for proper work with them, Other things are open enough that they do work. While the forum is plauged with many subpar rps, there are dimonds amoungst the coal.

To reinforce that rps in pre-established universes do have freedom, take Star Wars as an example, Is there not freedom within it to set up something origainal with the only things realy borrowed are the weapons and the force?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:15 pm
You will also borrow the different sides though. It's not star wars without an actual war between the republic and the empire. Otherwise it would be just another space rp. With the sides established than it is necessary to also have sith and jedi. With the conflict and the sides already established, the rp could change much from the original story line short of being a joke.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

MorazaDarkheart

Dedicated Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 pm
Novama thats more or less what im saying, it is another just another space rp just with laser swords and powers. Weather or not a story turns out to be good or not is based on those who take part in it "NOT!" what its bassed on. You could do a Star Wars rp with out jedi and sith in it, you dont need to have the conflict be about them fighting. And yes it is Star wars without a fight between the Republic and the Empire. Starwars ep. 1 Phantom menance the empire dosnt exsist yet so by saying......

Novama
It's not star wars without an actual war between the republic and the empire.

Your saying its not star wars. While we could argue plot points, lets stay off that, you can be creative with an established world.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:36 pm
It wouldn't be star wars without the key things I mentioned. Before there was the empire there was just the sith and the republic. Same thing. Without those waring factions there would be no star wars, then the rp would be better suited to another sub-forum.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

MorazaDarkheart

Dedicated Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 pm
Novama, Sith and empire are not the samething, so you realy cant use that as an argument.

Scratch that. You can do Star Wars with out Jedi and Sith, yes it could just be better suited for a average space rp, but give an average space rp lightsabers and it is basicly Starwars.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:57 pm
Although lightsabers became popular with starwars, other movies used them too so it isn't the sabers that make star wars starwars. The sith took over the republic turning it into the empire vs. the rebels so the sith and the empire are the same.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

MorazaDarkheart

Dedicated Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:00 pm
Okay were going off topic here, my point is that you can be creative with an established world, something may not work, but just because your using a know world as the foundation does not mean its uncreative or stupid, that is decided by the people who build it, not what its based on.  
U/C

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff