Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
New Moderation Panel! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zef

Fluffy Trash

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:31 pm
NeoTsure
Rey Shot
I like the new moderation panel. But it looks way different when you go to other tabs. Like Nom said it looks like if some people worked on it separately. Do at least 1 template and its good. 3nodding .
Another thing is those ID's o.o
How am I the 4111955 user on my guild? I made my guild. but if this refers to the entire guild system then its ok. I just got weird-ed out of those numbers when i saw it in the member's list.

I -think- that's your user ID, and doesn't represent anything except how long you've been on Gaia for.

My Join date id is 6537836
and the ID on my own guild is 4111955 In another one it starts as 422... I'm very confused now :/

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:53 pm
Sorry for the confusion on the guild member IDs. Here's a bit of an explanation.

So for our guild users table, there's a forever-incrementing ID column that is used globally across all of guilds. It starts at 1 and goes 3,5,7,9,11, etc., and it has nothing to do with your Gaia user ID, nor your guild's ID. Think of it as something like this:

+-----------------+---------+----------+
| Guild_Member_ID | User_ID | Guild_ID |
| 1 | 1 | 1 |
| 3 | 1 | 3 |
| 5 | 3 | 5 |
| 7 | 3 | 1 |
| 9 | 7 | 1 |
| 11 | 7 | 3 |
| 13 | 3 | 3 |

So the Guild_Member_ID keeps incrementing, regardless of the user_id or guild_id. But since it's sequential, it just helps you get an idea of the order in which people joined.

Hopefully that's a little bit more clear?  

pacifisticuffs

Zef

Fluffy Trash

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:38 pm
pacifisticuffs
Sorry for the confusion on the guild member IDs. Here's a bit of an explanation.

So for our guild users table, there's a forever-incrementing ID column that is used globally across all of guilds. It starts at 1 and goes 3,5,7,9,11, etc., and it has nothing to do with your Gaia user ID, nor your guild's ID. Think of it as something like this:

| 1 | 1 | 1 |
| 3 | 1 | 3 |
| 5 | 3 | 5 |
| 7 | 3 | 1 |
| 9 | 7 | 1 |
| 11 | 7 | 3 |
| 13 | 3 | 3 |

So the Guild_Member_ID keeps incrementing, regardless of the user_id or guild_id. But since it's sequential, it just helps you get an idea of the order in which people joined.

It cleared most of my doubts. 3nodding (I'm a math wizz = geek o: )

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:13 am
pacifisticuffs

| 1 | 1 | 1 |
| 3 | 1 | 3 |
| 5 | 3 | 5 |
| 7 | 3 | 1 |
| 9 | 7 | 1 |
| 11 | 7 | 3 |
| 13 | 3 | 3 |

So, if my ID in this guild is 979448, then my joining this guild was the 979448th act of guild-joining to occur on Gaia?

A new range of ID numbers did seem like a weird approach to take, but you explained it and it's not all bad. It produces some serious trivia. cool The fact you retrieved that much info is awesome, as is your new retrieval of last post dates.

I'm a fan of the new grid layout - it's nothing flashy, but it's tidy and efficient. It's recognisable from other parts of the site (mainly the areas from My Gaia) so this is more development in bringing guilds into the fold. If the GGN's problem could be summarised in a sentence, it would be that it has fallen behind and is increasingly isolated. These aesthetic changes are hugely important and welcomed!

On that note, the grey crosshatch background and the new Guilds icon and title font are now in command of the page. That's cool. The new Guilds uniform also seems to include registry search boxes. Eh, why not? But they do look just as out of place as they do on the landing page, mainly because of the contrast between the white field and the dark grey background. Maybe the field could become a light grey, or the search boxes could be enclosed as a 'section' with their own light grey background?

The Mod Panel is still essentially a list more than a 'panel,' or a 'dashboard' kind of thing. I'd love to see this changed sometime in the future, because the features could be very helpfully fleshed out. But for now, at least it's still logical and familiar. The drop-down menu is a nice touch, as it does save the awkwardness of clicking 'back' from the various sections.

The simple improvements to the 'Invite Users' page are so welcome. There's still room there for more options, like inviting more than 10 users, or using BBCode in invitations, or searching for members to invite. This is a much friendlier page now, though.

Bringing all the logs together in one place was a smooth move. And in this case, the aesthetic facelift is more than just identity-consistent but also a huge bonus for actually reading the logs. The information is so much clearer.

The Guild Settings page is unchanged, but it's worth commenting on the yellow-boxed tips below each field. Like the new info sneakily included in the Guild Forums page, this actually does help a lot of people who are using the page for the first time.

The Forums page is also updated and it looks much neater.

One thing I'm not so sure about is the blue box that was added to the top of all guild forum pages recently, and now appears in the Mod Panel. It's more at home in the Mod Panel than elsewhere, but it still lacks cohesion with the rest of the page. Maybe this is partly because it can potentially feature a long string of text that is probably the only full paragraph on the page. If it could be compartmentalised somewhere, it might be less annoying and maybe even more potent. It reminds me of when "Welcome to Gaia Online!" and a tagline about Gaia being an online hangout was included in the site header. There's some information that doesn't add anything to a page, even if it's somehow relevant, and there's space for it.

The new member list is noteable for the major new functionality of arranging names by posts, levels and join date (well, close enough!), plus the addition of last post and join date info. The tiny avatar thumbnails are nice. Maybe they could be placed before the names so that they are aligned? I find it funny for some reason that arranging by "levels" ranks the captain last on page 277 XD, but that's actually fine because the reverse is the default. (Although this isn't true for the "last post" criteria...) There is a slight sense that the page is unfinished, as the alignments aren't perfect and neither the rows nor columns are distinguished.

Overall, every single improvement is beneficial. And taking on the Mod Panel and member list is pretty substantial and hugely appreciated, especially as you deliver both front-end and backend changes in the one update (no doubt this influences how much notice and appreciation you generally receive from us!). Without trying to put a damper on all the wonderful improvements, though... I hope this isn't all of them. :XP: It looks like some significant changes have been made, and some good foundations laid for future updates. But the changes in functionality so far have been well-chosen but minimal. Not in terms of development investment, I'm sure, but in terms of usefullness. The member list searching is the only tool with added functionality. The structure of the Mod Panel, as well as its contents, operate better, but no more extensively than before. So my impression is that this is a major milestone, but not the finished product.

This sounds really ungrateful, if it in fact it is intended as the finished product. sweatdrop So I'll end by emphasising again that the changes will make the use of the existing tools much quicker and easier and more pleasant. The member list enhancements will doubtless be put to good use in satisfying curious and snoopy members everywhere. And your hard work and communication with us is, as always, deeply appreciated. heart  

WindowOpener

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:26 am
Oh, a couple of changes I didn't notice before reading the OMGaia! thread -

How ownership is changed. That is huge! I mean, it's years and years late, and I imagine that with today's QA at Gaia, you would never have a feature like Vice Captaincy released without safeguards in place. But this is awesome. I don't know how much of a problem it still is, but it's certain still to save many future headaches, both for guild users and mods.

Join requests - another area that shows your direct responsiveness to the feedback you solicited from us. Mass-accepting and mass-declining were popular suggestions, and you made them. And you added auto-accepts, which I don't think I've heard suggested before. (Is there a log anywhere for guilds to at least monitor who joins though? That might be useful for guilds, with or without the auto-accept on.)

Thanks again. heart heart  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:21 pm
The log for auto joins is the second time you click sort by guild member id. Not perfect, but a ton easier than accepting them.

Subforums descriptions would be massively awesome. There is one I just can't name properly.

I saw someone ask about the captain change, what if the captain is hacked? (Isn't banned, isn't inactive, but could prove harmful) I said to PM a GGN mod because they are just super duper awesome. This might be something to consider though.

When guild member ID was associated with join date I was only confused by the members I didn't notice have a 'banned' status being before me. When I noticed the 'banned' marker it finished making sense. My question is WTF is wrong with me if the concept didn't confuse me and I completely understood that it was just the server's way and all of that? (And yet I still have trouble remembering what I was getting up to do by the time I stand up.)  

LillianSaire

Ezra-tan

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:39 pm
NomNomNominal

DISLIKES
  • Banned members

Don't we all? Is there a new feature that has to do with banned members? If so, I can't see it. emo  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:13 am
Banned members now show on member list, ones that quit don't.  

LillianSaire

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:50 pm
Yes, but unbanning members means that they rejoin the guild.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:43 am
Member list: Moving avatar thumbnails below usernames and giving table cells room to breathe = heart

edit: Just saw pacifisticuffs' screencap in the other thread, dated 28 May. Don't know why my list only just started looking like that.  

WindowOpener

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 am
I thought that banned members are only unable to send a join request for 2 weeks, and can receive and accept an invite whenever. It isn't really banned, and was used like dismiss with the expectation that if the person decided to be active they could return. (Or, in the terms of when they really did want to 'ban' the member, they would put the username and user ID number on a black list.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:27 pm
Hello there,
I know its been awhile since I posted, but we've been busy making more guild improvements. I was out on vacation last week when these latest updates got released, and it seems like you guys got a good overview...

I appreciate ALL OF the feedback in this thread, which I will be reviewing and seeing what changes we can make. If you have additional, please feel free to leave it here or here http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/registered-guilds/guilds-clans-moderator-panel-changes-and-auto-accept-feature/t.50317615/

thanks for everyone's support!  

wesden

6,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100

wesden

6,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:42 pm
NomNomNominal
  • The user invitation form looks a lot neater. I like how you have to enter one username per box instead of the commas because I always lose count.
  • Guild logs are a lot easier to read with the summarization now.
  • Ability to categorise members based on post count, level, etc.

DISLIKES
  • Banned members
  • And thus, lack of a kicking option
  • Categorising members based on guild's member ID seems useless. I would rather see a join date AND/OR the user's Gaia memberID in its place.
  • This is more a design issue than a function issue, but the new stuff doesn't match the old template at all. Choose one template and stick to it because it looks like two very different people did different sections. Both designs look good, but the inconsistency makes it just plain trashy. (Yeah, yeah... so I'm a spoilt web design brat. Sue me!)

we're updating the templates to the new look that you see in the moderator/member tabs. It will just take some time. So in the meantime, we will have both templates sad  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:49 pm
wesden_girl
NomNomNominal
  • The user invitation form looks a lot neater. I like how you have to enter one username per box instead of the commas because I always lose count.
  • Guild logs are a lot easier to read with the summarization now.
  • Ability to categorise members based on post count, level, etc.

DISLIKES
  • Banned members
  • And thus, lack of a kicking option
  • Categorising members based on guild's member ID seems useless. I would rather see a join date AND/OR the user's Gaia memberID in its place.
  • This is more a design issue than a function issue, but the new stuff doesn't match the old template at all. Choose one template and stick to it because it looks like two very different people did different sections. Both designs look good, but the inconsistency makes it just plain trashy. (Yeah, yeah... so I'm a spoilt web design brat. Sue me!)

we're updating the templates to the new look that you see in the moderator/member tabs. It will just take some time. So in the meantime, we will have both templates sad
At least you guys will be updating the templates. 3nodding

Zef

Fluffy Trash

Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out