Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
My Fellow Hitchhikers, I have an announcement. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is this The Ultimate Question?
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 24 ]
You're ******** up.
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
Haven't finished H2G2 book 1 yet.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 45

Appoggiatura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:51 pm
The Name
I wasn't the one who came up with this, but I think it's the best guess to what it would be.

the ultimate question
Pick a random number.

Although I guess it isn't a question... neutral

Yep, that's the one I was referring to. It's just 'Pick a number' actually. Well, now it isn't, because we just blurted it out to the world. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:55 am
Due to the fact that we're all still here and the universe hasn't been destroyed and replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable, I would be willing to bet that, while creative and perhaps even close, your question is not the correct one.
Props for your mathmatical talents in figuring that one out tho. Helluva lot more than I could ever do. mathmenolikey  

Tinnumir

dudebro711

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:42 pm
6 * 9 is what Arthur pulls out of the scrabble-ish pouch, true. But...he is not one of those who belong on Earth...he is one of...the others. The telephone operators, etc. Ya know. He's not actually supposed to deduce the question.

Also...maybe the world has started over. But they missed the computers.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:59 am
Appoggiatura
That's very clever, but that's not the right question. Neither is "What do you get if you multiply six times nine?" The real question...for the sake of the universe I won't say it, but I will tell you that it's on Wikipedia somewhere and it involves Marvin.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia about the number 42 relating to HGTTG:
42 Puzzle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
The 42 Puzzle, as it appeared on pages 80 and 81 of The Illustrated Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The 42 Puzzle is a game devised by Douglas Adams in 1994 for his popular The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. In the books, 42 is known as The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything that Deep Thought, a sophisticated computer constructed by pandimensional beings, returns (after seven-and-a-half million years of calculating). Referencing this, he created a puzzle whose question was unknown, but whose answer is already known to be 42.

The puzzle is an illustration consisting of 42 multi-coloured balls, in 7 columns and 6 rows. According to Douglas Adams (in an interview reprinted at Douglas Adams Continuum), "Everybody was looking for hidden meanings and puzzles and significances in what I had written (like 'is it significant that 6 * 9 is 42 in base 13?'. As if.) So I thought that just for a change I would actually construct a puzzle and see how many people solved. Of course, nobody paid it any attention. I think that's terribly significant."

The puzzle first appeared in The Illustrated Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was later incorporated into the covers of all five reprinted "Hitchhiker's" novels.
[edit]

Solutions to the Puzzle are provided.

Couldn't find anything about Marvin, though!  

evabh

Sindeira

Codebreaking Reveler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:38 pm
Sitting Boi
The Ultimate Question:

(7x80+7+12+4+365/1942-13-666+12+4+333+1865-360)/42=X
X=About 42.

The meaning of the numbers:
7: Days a week
80: Average life span
7: lucky number
12: months a year
4: seasons
365: days a year
1942: most important year of WWII
13: unlucky number
666: devil's number
12: years in school
4: years to get a degree
333: holy number
1865: end of America's Civil War
360: degrees in a circle
42: The ultimate answer.

So you see, My Fellow Hitchhikers, it is not as hard as it would seem. Whether you believe in my question is up to you. Mathematically, it ends with about 41.84, which rounds to 42. The math is right, but are they the right numbers or the right meaning?

Mathematics is notorious for being the root of all evil in the entire, Milky Way galaxy, and thus you've doomed each of us to start all over again, in this endless game known as life.

Darn you and your evil ways..!
gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:20 pm
In reference to 42 and quoting the supreme lead singer of Pugilism and the Third Autistic Cuckoo, "It means whatever you want it to mean."  

phlipp

Starlit Jewel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:01 pm
Well, even though you've doomed the Universe... that's a bloody good piece of maths there.

Never thought I'd say that about any kind of maths. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:46 am
And there goes the universe, again. Thanks a lot. Now we have to start all over. We aren't supposed to know that information ~smacks you with towel.~

Wait, the Question cannot be a math problem, That is why it is not 6*9. We are still safe.  

Talana the Warrior

Sir Leos

3,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:38 am
We are safe because he is wrong
if he were correct well you read the other posts so we need not worry
and even though our plannet is the thing to give the question and explain the answer if you remember the programs became corrupt so we will never know unless we start the process over again  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:15 am
Why should the end of the American Civil War have ANYTHING to do with it? Douglas Adams was British!

Plus... Rounding up? I don't think so. The Ultimate Question must equal to exactly 42. And I suspect that what with trillian being a mathematician or whatever it was [is in desperate need to find her copy of Hitchhikers] she would have worked that out. And anyway I thought 999 was the holy number. Not 333.  

Morogo

gwyn_sully

Gracious Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:01 pm
[.Adolescence.]
Oh, great. Now our planet is dispensable again. Thank you so much. Plus, you made millions of philosophers around the world go out of job. xd

Now seriously, congrats for your deduction. Never been so glad I was wrong!

My only doubts:
Why? I may seem terribly dumb here but I didn't get it.

How is this relevant to the Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything?

I shall now postulate some answers. This does not mean I agree with the whole thing. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth hurting my brain that much or if "how many roads must a man walk down" is sufficient for me. But here's some explaination anyways. As always, feel free to confirm my knowledge that I am bonkers.

333: this would be a holy number because in many religous practices the important things come in sets of 3. The holy trinity, maiden mother crone, etc. This is three 3s. Therefore, special.

1865: since the civil war happened on earth, its completion must have been an important step in deducing the question. So the date is important.

I think I'm still going with the mice's answer...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:06 pm
oh, by the way....most of those only apply to the earth...NOT the universe....so...all those things about the war, and yes, devil, and the "holy" numbers and s**t...dont apply...  

fourtysecondscarf

[.Chipped.Not.Broken.]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:23 pm
That's a lot of questions... and why did you chose those ones When there are a million others that are just as relevent?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:54 pm
Me, I think it's "How many roads must a man walk down."

It was in the book... and... it sounds... life-y. xp

Oh, btw, I'm new here. *wave*  

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

Quria Blade Transfem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:48 pm
Little Socrates
Until today, we have known the ultimate answer to be 42. I vowed to leave Gaia after the Gaming Discussion forum was overtaken by n00bs. However, I have returned to reveal a most important announcement. Our 5-book trilogy never gave us the ultimate question. However, I have discovered it while sitting in my Algebra class which is not totally unlike a coffeeshop.
The Ultimate Question sits below; but are you ready?
Take a deep breath, and relax.
Put yourself in a place filled with mist; clear your mind.
Think of your towel. Where is it?
What color is it?
Is it wet?
Have you had a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster today? Some may need one to believe what's coming up.
Are you in a good mood? That's just what I'm hoping for, because angry people won't believe it.
Are you ready now? If not, read the above again.
The Ultimate Question:

What is about the answer to the following equation:
(7x80+7+12+4+365/1942-13-666+12+4+333+1865-360)/42=X
X=About 42.

The meaning of the numbers:
7: Days a week
80: Average life span
7: lucky number
12: months a year
4: seasons
365: days a year
1942: most important year of WWII
13: unlucky number
666: devil's number
12: years in school
4: years to get a degree
360: degrees in a circle
42: The ultimate answer.

So you see, My Fellow Hitchhikers, it is not as hard as it would seem. Whether you believe in my question is up to you. Mathematically, it ends with about 41.84, which rounds to 42. The math is right, but are they the right numbers or the right meaning?

yer logics off
very off
realy realy realy off
so off.... its um off...
yeah
though nubers are cool they lack imagination
and ... stuff!
you lose  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games