Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Origins Of Love? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Love is...
  ...another evolutionary tool for survival.
  ...too abstract to be properly explained.
  ,,,something science can't understand.
  ...what I say to get what I want. Oh yeah.
View Results

Matthias Swan

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 pm
I take the cynical fence to this one. I think it' too abstract for the younger highschoolers to understand. All this dating and sex, and they have NO idea what they're doing. They claim love when it's just young lust. But they're too young to get it. And so am I.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:28 pm
I agree with pretty much with what has already been said here. Love is an emotion. And do christians think that God is running around matchmaking? No, of course he wouldn't.

And the thing with animals loving each other, science has shown that animals do not have complex emotions, and love/hate are the most complex emotions that exist, I think. The reason animals mate and stay together (some animals, not all) is that most animals like familiarity. they do not like change, and it's the same for humans. Most humans do not like major changes, it's confusing and too much for their minds to handle. This is why penguins mate with one other penguin and they stay together forever. It's not because fo love, it's because of the familiarity.

Also, animals copulate not for love, but for the survival of the species. Many animals also do not stay with the same mate forever. They usually have polygynous mating systems, which means that they basically slut around with the rest of the pack/herd.

Since humans are just an advanced species, we have advanced emotions, all of which contribute to the stongest emotion, love. Also, maybe there is no such thing as love. Maybe the feelings of love are just other emotions caused by the power of suggestion. And that's why people stay together, because they feel the euphoria of togetherness. That's what I believe. Maybe love exists, maybe it's just a farce put together by society.  

MissDemeter

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces