Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Practice of "De-gaying" Someone Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Krolas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:01 pm
These people being sent to the camps have nothing wrong with them. They like the same gender of people. Just like how you like the opposing gender. Nothing wrong. There wouldn't be beatings and exorcism only if there wasn't the stupid bible telling you homosexuality is wrong. According to me its just a book of rules and myths for the gullible belivers.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:10 am
Chainging people's thoughts through fear.

The oldest religious trick in the book.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

hope1090

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:44 pm
MissDemeter
I'm sure all of you have heard of christian de-gaying camps. A parent, usually, sends their child off to a secluded location where they attempt to turn that child (teenager) straight. It's like going to church 24/7, except with exorcisms and beatings.

Sounds barbaric, right? The thing is, some adults also go to these camps to de-gay themselves. But my issue with that is, if you can "de-gay" yourself, then you weren't gay in the first place. These people are bisexual. They have to capability to love either sex, so then that means that they are bisexual! That`s the definition. An attraction to both sexes.

So, thoughts?
Do you think these people are bisexual? Or are they just kidding themselves, they're actually gay?
What do you think about these places where they do these things?
Do you believe it actually works?
And, would you ever consider sending your child to one of these places, even though you don't believe what they teach?

User Image

Hmmm.... I think in these cases they could be bi or are simply confused about what gender they prefer. People often tend to think their gay but are really just confused or trying to be gay in some cases.
As for whether these places works or not, I think they are horrid places. It's one thing for a man or women to go their WILLINGLY and try to change their sexuality for their own reasons but forcing people is simply wrong. You can't CHANGE what a person is they can change themselves but you can't do it for them, if they are gay then it's the way it is and you shouldn't try to change it- especially if their happy the way they are.
And no I don't think it works. Exorcism!? You have to be a child in an adults body to still think things like that work.
And I would certainly NEVER said my child there whether gay or bi. Firstly I'd be a hypocrite since I am Bi-sexual and secondly it is just wrong to force some one to do something they don't want to.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:07 am
It is impossible to De-Gay someone people are born gay just as people are born straight. so De-Gaying someone is not logical as you can't make someone straight gay so how can you make a gay man straight.  

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

A Red Shoe Moment

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:52 pm
Our choice is OUR choice, which means that no one except yourself is able to change YOUR choice, darn it!

Besides, "De-Gaying" someone is impossible. People are born straight, gay, lesbian, and/or bisexual.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:19 pm
If someone were successful with "De-gaying" themself, they'd pretty much just be living a lie for the rest of their life, which will more than likely lower their happiness level.  

LlamaKid

Fashionable Werewolf

Dread Chimera

Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:32 pm
Dathu
User ImageWell, let's be clear on what we're dealing with. These people are religious gays, specifically some form of christianity where homosexuality is a sin, so these people only want to be straight to avoid hell. With that in mind, it is no surprise that these camps exist and that both adults and parents are sending themselves and their children there. In the end, their just trying to avoid hell.

But does this really work? No. I am of the group that argues homosexuality to be a genetic occurrence (not to say that all gays are genetic gays, for even a straight person can do homosexual things if they desire, but to say a majority of gays are at a genetic predisposition), and therefore you can no more stop being gay than you can stop being black, male, and republican.

When these people leave these institutions claiming to have cured, they're lying, and have, in a way, brainwashed themselves. With work, we can convince ourselves that eating s**t is good, but that doesn't change the taste. These people can call themselves straight until they're blue in the face, but if it wasn't for their religious guilt, they'd be GAY AS HELL.

User ImageAs for your final question: If I found myself fathering a child I suspected would turn out gay, I would just move to the most accepting place possible to make his/her life as pleasant as possible. In the end, it's all I can do, but I have no reservations about homosexuality (being that I was raised by lesbians, have a gay brother in law, and roomed with a gay guy for three years, it just doesn't bother me. Not that I could sit through gay male pron or anything).

Wonderful. That was so eloquent and concise that I nominate you for a medal. Furthermore, I agree with everything that you have said.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:21 am
I believe there was an episode of south park with this situation. People kept telling poor little Butters that he was bi-curious, and they told him he was confused. It's like, let people be whatever the f**k they want to be. I feel bad for Butters xp  

iThe Golden Witch

SpeciesxConfused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 am
actually i kinda do want to go into a de-gay camp hello a room full of gay guys sleeping in the same room bathroom and sometimes they sneek away trust me sometimes it could be a blast and if anyone tried to beat me they better have back up or ill kick them in their balls or v****a i really dont care <3  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 am
>>;; Rather silly isn't it? Maybe they should "De-Moron" themselves? I don't see how grabbing someone's forehead and shouting at imaginary demons would help.

I like that idea above me though >>;; Go to a "De-Gay" camp and just completely screw over the Staff. Then when you get out sue for sexual harassment! ^^ With today's circumstances you could get away with it too.  

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:45 pm
They honestly believe that if they mistreat you hard enough, you'll do what they say out of fear for the rest of your life. Wow, sure feels third-world in here. evil  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 pm
i think this act is horrible
i mean come on
demons are they even real?  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

DarkHyacinth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 pm
*shudders*
My sister's friend was from a strict Catholic family, he came out, his family basically shunned him and he became depressed. He was so desperate to not be gay, he went to one of those un-gay camps by choice and he told us about it later and would just stop when he was talking, I could tell it was painful. What he told us about was a very painful electroshock type treatment and they made him watch a slideshow.
The treatment obviously didn't "un-gay" him.
I believe that homosexuality is not a choice, you're born with it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:55 am
I find it kinda funny how stupid people can be.. you can be a A+ student but be the stupidest person on earth.. Being gay is not something you choose to be.. you dont one day just say.. hmm i think ill be gay for a little.." your either born with it or not. when people think its an illness that can be cured i get so pissed off.. Theres nothing wrong with being gay.. and i do hate people who think there is..  

Nardone

Inquisitor_Bane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:56 pm
This makes me feel sick, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Mankind is, at its core, a xenophobic species. Where do you think countries came from? Or political factions? Groups of friends are formed from a very mild form of xenophobia; this is a rather nihilistic way to say it, but it is, at it's heart, true.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff