Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My View On Gender... (this is inoffensive... I think...) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0UjgJBt3ONkG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:31 pm
Dathu
User Image
Just from reading the first half, I can tell you that your biggest apponents are going to be Statisticians and Risk Assessors.

Statistics and Risk Assessors for what?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:59 pm
Secular Swarm
Dathu
User Image
Just from reading the first half, I can tell you that your biggest opponents are going to be Statisticians and Risk Assessors.

Secular Swarm
Generalizations are one of the worst things we can do, even if it is true “on average” then you should always make sure to include “on average” in your comment.

When you word things like that, even though people are usually aware it is just an average, it still suggests someone is going to be better at something else just because of their gender... which is of course completely untrue.

I'd just like to start by saying that, for the most part, I'm indifferent to the issue. I mentioned those two professions because their way of life is to act of the average.

Mind you, this is not my own opinion, but more what I would predict they would say: "If it is found that Men tend to be better at math then women, then an accounting firm may want to look for potential employees in men rather than women. When hundreds of thousands of dollars are at stake, it is the duty of a business to act in the best interest of the company. If a study was conducted that showed on average that men were (70)% more productive than women in accounting, you can rest assured that accounting firms would be comprised of 70% men."

I know what you mean is that we shouldn't judge (as in how we treat people) based on stereotypes and averages, and that we shouldn't try to implant these 'limitation' on a sex just because it's common, but I know there are those who would say: "A statistic is a fact. If you find that only 60% of women who graduate college actually stay in a career for more than 5 years, why wouldn't you focus your hiring practices to target men?"

Just throwing out a few examples. Forgive me if you feel I'm looking at it from an overly business focused standpoint.

Secular Swarm
I think all bathrooms and dressing rooms should be unisex, the thought of this may make people uncomfortable (what if you have to poop!) but the reality of the matter is, this is one of those things where once the walls come down it probably won’t be an issue. After all, there are homosexuals… and it doesn’t seem to be an issue. Also, this would make life a lot easier for anyone who is trans gender.

Don't you think that'll cause a rise in rape? sweatdrop  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

0UjgJBt3ONkG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:04 pm
Dathu
Secular Swarm
Dathu
User Image
Just from reading the first half, I can tell you that your biggest opponents are going to be Statisticians and Risk Assessors.

Secular Swarm
Generalizations are one of the worst things we can do, even if it is true “on average” then you should always make sure to include “on average” in your comment.

When you word things like that, even though people are usually aware it is just an average, it still suggests someone is going to be better at something else just because of their gender... which is of course completely untrue.

I'd just like to start by saying that, for the most part, I'm indifferent to the issue. I mentioned those two professions because their way of life is to act of the average.

Mind you, this is not my own opinion, but more what I would predict they would say: "If it is found that Men tend to be better at math then women, then an accounting firm may want to look for potential employees in men rather than women. When hundreds of thousands of dollars are at stake, it is the duty of a business to act in the best interest of the company. If a study was conducted that showed on average that men were (70)% more productive than women in accounting, you can rest assured that accounting firms would be comprised of 70% men."

I know what you mean is that we shouldn't judge (as in how we treat people) based on stereotypes and averages, and that we shouldn't try to implant these 'limitation' on a sex just because it's common, but I know there are those who would say: "A statistic is a fact. If you find that only 60% of women who graduate college actually stay in a career for more than 5 years, why wouldn't you focus your hiring practices to target men?"

Just throwing out a few examples. Forgive me if you feel I'm looking at it from an overly business focused standpoint.

Secular Swarm
I think all bathrooms and dressing rooms should be unisex, the thought of this may make people uncomfortable (what if you have to poop!) but the reality of the matter is, this is one of those things where once the walls come down it probably won’t be an issue. After all, there are homosexuals… and it doesn’t seem to be an issue. Also, this would make life a lot easier for anyone who is trans gender.

Don't you think that'll cause a rise in rape? sweatdrop

I think people should focus more on the individual rather than the statistics. That's why I suggested we should avoid the sociological perspective. Because, by your exact same logic, if I were to see a group of black people then I should be more afraid of them than white people because per-capita blacks are more likely to commit a violent offense (such as mugging me) than white people.

I would also like to note that I actually have been mugged twice, both times by separate groups of Bloods at the transit center, all of which were black. I'm not saying I never make assumptions about groups of people, I certainly do, but I acknowledge its wrong and do my best to be aware of when I'm doing it and stop myself.

Also, I certainly do not think it would increase rape. If someone is going to rape someone then the ability to walk into a bathroom of the opposite gender isn't going to make a difference. Unless someone is around to be like "Hey! That is walking into the bathroom of the opposite gender!" in which case, if someone were around, it probably isn't the best place to rape someone anyway.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff