Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Most Discriminated Aginst? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:37 pm
Colm-kun
I don't know... but if you are White. And Atheist. You will be publicly criticized till you go bonkers I'll tell you that. These days, being white only adds to discrimination.

Huh, really? I would've thought being white would take away from it, in all honesty.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm
I feel very pressured in certain situations not to admit I am an Atheist. I think there is some real bias against Atheists. At school there was this woman who just needed a little help finding a book in the library, so I helped her. She randomly asked me where I went to church. It was kind of a strange thing to ask, but it seemed to me that she assumed that since I was being kind I MUST have been Christian?! So I told her I was a Secular Humanist. That wasn't enough and she pushed the matter further, so I told her "I don't go to church, I'm an Atheist" and she gave me a dirty look and couldn't get away from me fast enough. At work there is actually a lot of negativity toward anyone who isn't CHRISTIAN AND REPUBLICAN (not just Atheists, just Jews, and Liberals are hated) And it's very out in the open. I actually fear that if I told the wrong person at work that I was an Atheist, it could cost me my job. I might be too sensitive and it wouldn't really go that far, but I know for sure things would be very frosty around the workplace. My mother-in-law is a BornAgain Christian, and I have never told her that i am an Atheist. the fall out would be HUGE.  

imderanged

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:29 am
imderanged
I feel very pressured in certain situations not to admit I am an Atheist. I think there is some real bias against Atheists. At school there was this woman who just needed a little help finding a book in the library, so I helped her. She randomly asked me where I went to church. It was kind of a strange thing to ask, but it seemed to me that she assumed that since I was being kind I MUST have been Christian?! So I told her I was a Secular Humanist. That wasn't enough and she pushed the matter further, so I told her "I don't go to church, I'm an Atheist" and she gave me a dirty look and couldn't get away from me fast enough. At work there is actually a lot of negativity toward anyone who isn't CHRISTIAN AND REPUBLICAN (not just Atheists, just Jews, and Liberals are hated) And it's very out in the open. I actually fear that if I told the wrong person at work that I was an Atheist, it could cost me my job. I might be too sensitive and it wouldn't really go that far, but I know for sure things would be very frosty around the workplace. My mother-in-law is a BornAgain Christian, and I have never told her that i am an Atheist. the fall out would be HUGE.

As long as your workplace follows the law, you could sue them for wrongful termination, I should think.

At any rate, the thing that bothers me possibly even more than the general discrimination is the assumption that all Atheists are "Nazis" who will think that everyone else is stupid if they believe in something. A lot of us are very tolerant, right?

I want the bumper sticker that says, "I don't need the threat of Hell to be a moral person."  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:40 am
Kyoko364
Colm-kun
I don't know... but if you are White. And Atheist. You will be publicly criticized till you go bonkers I'll tell you that. These days, being white only adds to discrimination.

Huh, really? I would've thought being white would take away from it, in all honesty.
Not these days my dear >>;; Not these days.  

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:38 pm
alteregoivy

At any rate, the thing that bothers me possibly even more than the general discrimination is the assumption that all Atheists are "Nazis" who will think that everyone else is stupid if they believe in something. A lot of us are very tolerant, right?

I want the bumper sticker that says, "I don't need the threat of Hell to be a moral person."
I've gotten called that sometimes....

----

Person: I see by your last name that you are German.

Me: Why yes, yes I am. *is proud* 3nodding *sneezes*

Person: Oh, god bless you!

Me: Thank you, but I don't believe in god. I myself prefer to say-

Person: Athiest Nazi! scream

Me: Excuse me? eek .....

stressed

----

And I want that bumper sticker. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:41 pm
I am not a violent person. However, I am 100% sure I would punch someone in the face if they called me a Nazi. scream  

Indie_lullaby

Tipsy Gawker

6,600 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:43 pm
Indie_lullaby
I am not a violent person. However, I am 100% sure I would punch someonein the face if they called me Nazi. scream
I've come close to it, believe me...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:10 am
Random Rainbow Rukia
I guess since my friends mom is extremely religious and my friend had the wonderful idea of telling her I'm an atheist. Now she tries to convert me and doesn't seem to like me as much as before. I've been told so many times I'm going to hell too lol

This makes me ROFL because it's so often true.  

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:13 am
Indie_lullaby
I am not a violent person. However, I am 100% sure I would punch someone in the face if they called me a Nazi. scream

I really hate it when people immediately makes atheists either Marxists (commies) or Nazis. The funniest part is that Nazis had a very large religious operation inside the party.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:59 am
Even if privately he wasn't, Hitler himself professed Christian faith right up till the end of the Nazis.

Also note that when I brought up being called a Nazi earlier, it wasn't meant in a literal sense, but simply synonymous with "totalitarian."

This coming from a Jewish man's wife, too. But it has entered the vernacular in a casual sense, no matter how insulting/insensitive. FemiNazi comes to mind.  

alteregoivy

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:31 pm
discriminated - yes
Untrustworthy - no

Splits of Abraham's religion are often ignorant and they discriminate against all Non-theistic people. In other words they are only moral because they want to go to heaven.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:12 pm
Nobody's discriminated me for being athiest because if they did they know that I'd seriously traumatize them.  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:47 pm
Labyrinthknight7
Nobody's discriminated me for being athiest because if they did they know that I'd seriously traumatize them.

That you know of. You don't have to be with someone for them to talk about it behind your back, if that makes any sense.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:06 am
Me growing up in a white catholic community.. YES I HAVE BEEN.. iv had people say it to my face.. so i just laugh at them and say "atleast i dont believe in a talking dead guy" i really do think atheists are the most discriminated.. then the jews..
but the stereotype of atheist is that we are all terrible immoral people who could kill someone with a smile on our face.. or atleast it is in my town.. but thats so obviously not true.. if anything were just people who can just relax and not worry about the world.. but really i think the stereotype just comes from like maybe.. 2 or 3 atheist murderers who set a stereotype.. but then again.. the church has a reputation for practically brainwashing people.. at this point in history.. its no longer a stereotype for them..  

Nardone

Tranzendental Trumpet Man

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:53 pm
Yevn

Splits of Abraham's religion are often ignorant and they discriminate against all Non-theistic people. In other words they are only moral because they want to go to heaven.

So true! I hate that. That's more amoral and Un-Christ-like than I'll ever be.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff