Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Girl Dies While Parents Pray Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poor little Madeline.
  It's probably for the best that she got out early.
  She deserved a chance.
  She never had a chance.
  She would have totally become Atheist.
  At least, if she would have survived.
  I don't like any of the options so...*click*
View Results

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:17 pm
PetreyDish
Somewhat Relevant:

My mother once told me a story about a girl she knew while growing up. The girl was part of a close-knit Christian community, but I can't remember what denomination. She was severely schizophrenic and ordered into a mental hospital.

While being treated (this term is used loosely because it was psychiatry from about forty or so years ago), her family and fellow members would visit her, and lay their hands on her in an attempt to exorcise her.

They would tell her that she had demons in her, that she was unclean.

I can't help but wonder how much worse those individuals made things for her.

One of the girls I knew in a few of my old class mentioned something like that happening to one of her friends. Except in her case the friend revealed to her family that she wasn't a Christian anymore and was into Pagan stuff. Parents flipped out and tried to have her exorcised thinking she was possessed.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:02 pm
Now that's just sad. I don't have much input to offer other than that.  

In Search of a Dream

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:37 pm
adolfchrist
Shouldn't they all take this as proof that praying doesn't work?

When people pray, let's say like 40%, what they pray for happens. They are simply too stupid to realize that it is all by chance and not by "God's" wishes.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:52 am
MissDemeter
Daffodil the Destroyer
adolfchrist
Shouldn't they all take this as proof that praying doesn't work?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There's plenty of evidence that praying doesn't work... but their answer to that is always "God said no," or "it wasn't in His plan." Always a convenient answer to help them ignore facts. The vast majority of religious folk realize that medicine generally works better at curing medical conditions than prayer alone, though... nutsos like these are a tiny minority, thank... well, thank god. XD
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There was this one bit that George Carlin did, where he talked about praying. "Suppose your prayers aren't answered. Well, it's god's will, thy will be done. Fine. But if it's god's will and he's gonna do what he wants to in the first place, why the ******** bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me!" Ah, George was a genius. Because it's true! Why bother praying? God supposedly already has his divine plan laid out, so you can't do s**t by praying!

I love that one!  

adolfchrist

A Red Shoe Moment

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 pm
That's just plain disturbing. I'm happy that the parents are charged with second-degree homicide, but I'm bothered with the fact that the parents refused to take care of their ill daughter.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:14 pm
User Image

There certainly was a sickness, and it certainly was a test.

Except the sickness was the parents' mental sickness and they completely failed the test.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:20 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image

There certainly was a sickness, and it certainly was a test.

Except the sickness was the parents' mental sickness and they completely failed the test.

User Image

xd Nice. That's good enough to be a slogan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:09 am
I think the parents are retarded and should have had the diseases instead. It's a win-win situation, if the parents get it, they'll do one of two things.

1.) They'll be hypocrites and go to a f**king doctor, and live.

2.) They'll still be braindead and die for real, thus reducing the retarded population.

Religion is a disease itself, a parisite on humanity and for all the damage it's caused, deserves to be extenguished forever. Faith should be found in a person's life choices, not a church or temple for worshipping a fake being who seemingly holds control over all of us.  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:40 am
Evangelic parents are often of the lower chaste of society where education isn't a strong point. Hence, I'm amazed these sad scenarios don't happen more often. Poor girl emo  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:53 am
I'm glad the parents got what they deserved. Jail and one less daughter. That should prove to people that praying doesn't work flat out or in the sense spoken by the great George Carlin.

although .... I probably would've given them a disease and tell them to pray for it to go away.
See how they like it.  

EATSMEATS

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:16 pm
Both of those ignorant parents deserve to never be let out of jail their children could still be alive but they let religion kill their children.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:33 pm
As their own mythology goes: an eye for an eye...

...Can we send them to old-sparky?
sweatdrop

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:01 pm
Now watch they are going to pray that the life insurance on her will be valid.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:03 pm
Colm-kun
Now watch they are going to pray that the life insurance on her will be valid.

If it is, they're probably not getting a cent.  

In Search of a Dream

Fred The Flagrant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:07 pm
PetreyDish
Somewhat Relevant:

My mother once told me a story about a girl she knew while growing up. The girl was part of a close-knit Christian community, but I can't remember what denomination. She was severely schizophrenic and ordered into a mental hospital.

While being treated (this term is used loosely because it was psychiatry from about forty or so years ago), her family and fellow members would visit her, and lay their hands on her in an attempt to exorcise her.

They would tell her that she had demons in her, that she was unclean.

I can't help but wonder how much worse those individuals made things for her.

I know that this is urelated to what you said, but the reference to mental health and religion just spured a thought.

The roman-catholic church used to believe that the study of anything from the neck up was a sin, i.e. neurology etc.

This was a huge setback in the advancement of modern medicine and science. If it were not for the roman-catholic church, we would live in a totally different world right now.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff