Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Extended Discussions
The Human Race Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Human race screwed?
  Totally man
  Nah, they'll pull it out in the end
  I'll never say! *slinks off into black hole*
  *Strolls in yoinks gold and strolls out*
View Results

Iakun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:14 pm
Thinking about being unique in this culture/society is a bit of a joke. No matter how anti-mainstream or whatever one tries to be, you're going to fit in with SOME group of people somewhere. I think that we're truly unique if we're just honest with ourselves and stop taking a label as an acting role for our lives. I think the uniqueness should come not from focusing too hard on being unique, but from society learning to relax and stop thinking "this is the fashion you must wear, this is the color you must wear, this is the music you must listen to." This way we can all just be ourselves. Mentally/emotionally/spiritually we're already unique.

I honestly believe this day and age is far more morally bankrupt than past decades. Just looking at the ED or other sections here on Gaia is proof of that. Moral relativism is taken to quite an extreme as an excuse to have the right to do whatever one pleases, it's ridiculous. We tout out free will but we hardly accompany that free will with a sense of responsibility and consideration. One of the ways we vilify responsibility and consideration is by calling such things POLITICALLY CORRECT. People throw that term (PC) around at anything that lends itself to consideration of others. "Words are just words they have no meaning. Grow a thicker skin," they all say. Complete fools. Words do hold power. Among actions, we use words to inspire, strengthen, comfort, and unfortunately we also use them to show hate, to tear people down and shatter their dreams.

This ties into the whole not thinking ahead thing that sis talked about. Companies stand to make a lot of money by NOT caring, so of course they'll continue doing terrible s**t.

I see a continent terribly divided. We have no community anymore when we don't even know our neighbor's name or give 2 shits about how they're doing.

I think the morality, compassion, kindness bit is what bothers me most. We're in a black hole as far as dealing with the lack of consideration of others. People are doing what they damn well please and you absolutely cannot voice your opinions on their crappy ways or else you're "preaching". Ever watch the Disney Channel? Ever notice how in the past, kids/family shows had scenarios where the characters learned very clear moral lessons and lessons of truth, honesty and kindness? Ever notice how now shows are just crack entertainment with no clear lessons being taught, just lots of sarcasm and almost an actual MOCKING of certain lessons... yeah... it starts with the kids, people.

And yet I still hold hope. Maybe I'm insane, but I do. If I didn't have any hope, should I still care about humanity? I know we're capable of such atrocities but what helps me is thinking about the mothers and fathers that love their children and want to see them happy and healthy. I think about the good politicians who are in over their heads in corrupt governments and agonizing over not being able to do what they can to help their countries. I think about the few communities where neighbors care about each other. There ARE good people out there. I could only lose hope the day every single man woman and child became certifiably evil.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 pm
I have to agree with most of that. And it's nice to know that there are still some people holding out hope. whee But while I agree that people use "moral relativism" to do what they want, I also think that what is right and wrong IS relative in many ways, culturally and individually. There are certain basics, of course, but the more complex the issue, the more relative the morality. I'm all for responsibility and consideration, and I see nothing wrong with being a little politically correct, but I still think that every situation and issue should be judged individually and that ideas of right and wrong change with time and geography. If people use that as an excuse to avoid thinking about the consequences of their actions or whether they're doing right or wrong, that's sad but unavoidable. There are few people in history that I would call truly evil. I think most everyone is just human.  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Iakun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:12 am
purpleravenhawk
I have to agree with most of that. And it's nice to know that there are still some people holding out hope. whee But while I agree that people use "moral relativism" to do what they want, I also think that what is right and wrong IS relative in many ways, culturally and individually. There are certain basics, of course, but the more complex the issue, the more relative the morality. I'm all for responsibility and consideration, and I see nothing wrong with being a little politically correct, but I still think that every situation and issue should be judged individually and that ideas of right and wrong change with time and geography. If people use that as an excuse to avoid thinking about the consequences of their actions or whether they're doing right or wrong, that's sad but unavoidable. There are few people in history that I would call truly evil. I think most everyone is just human.

I do agree. My previous post might have come off as sounding very absolute but I do acknowledge the grey areas in life. I just notice that people are doing more and more what they want and everyone else be damned. I really think this is an especially difficult time to raise a well adjusted child. I don't think parents have nearly the authority they once did, which is a tricky statement because I don't think parents should revert to being complete dictators either.

edit: I totally know what song your sig is from but I forgot the name! lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:13 pm
Hmm...very interesting thoughts being throne out here. And like purple I have to agree with most of what you said bro. I think if human beings would just except that we are all different in our own ways and yet we are alike in other ways and just live who we are and stop trying to be that Hollywood star or that girl/guy down the street hat is so cool, we'd all be better off.

I totally agree with the whole this day and age we are more "morally bankrupt" bit. But at the same time what might be right for one culture maybe totally wrong for another. Like there is this show I love to watch on the Discovery channel um it's called something like "Taboo" or something like that. It goes to different tribes, cultures, and such and shows what we consider "Taboo" yet is very acceptable to them. Like I think it was in India the Hindu religion on the day dedicated to Shiva, I believe it is, certain "monks" spoke weed all day in dedication to her yet the rest of the time it is illegal to spoke weed, but that band is lifted for that day. There are other things like the woman that add the gold bands around their necks to stretch them, and guy's going through getting a tattoo the old way and such. So when it comes to right and wrongs it can get very hard to say what it is. This is where I agree with Purple that each action should be seen as the individual action that it is not, "Well last time this was seen wrong so it's wrong" type thing.

I think parents should become more involved in their kids lives not sent there and dump them before the television or the computer or drop their kids off at some theme park or arcade to be watched over by strangers. It's sad that most kids now days are raised by the T.V. with pathetic shows on or raised by some complete stranger that works a ride at the park or something. I mean seriously what's up with that? Oh and I just love how parents get all pissed that their child is listening/watching/playing something that is violent/racist/vulgar or whatever when they're the ones that bought it for them. Who do they get pissed at? Well it sure ain't themselves because my god their parents they can do no wrong, no they get pissed at the government for letting this stuff out onto the market. Now thanks to these lazy a** parents we've censorship that has totally screwed over a lot of enjoyment for those of us that pay attention to that stuff or enjoy it or whatever! *breaths*

It's sad that when we show kindness or care for someone it's considered "preaching" or if we sympathize with someone it's considered being "pitying" the person. Oh I remember those shows like "Full House" and others. They always had good morals and a good lesson of the day to learn. Anymore the shows today are mostly mindless or mocking. I miss those shows...

*sighs* Anyway, I have to agree with ya both here...I still hold some hope for the human race. We are quite capable of doing such wonders and good but it seems many seem to take the easy bath of hate and evil. However, there are still some that trudge that hard road of kindness...I wish it was more but I'll take what I can get. I hold hope but not much sadly.  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:52 pm
I guess, life is a balance, and we're all really bad trapeze artists. xd I plan to keep practicing, tho. 3nodding

Iakun: It's Mad World from the Donnie Darko soundtrack. whee That reminds me, I've been meaning to change it to something a bit cheerier to try to improve my mood. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:15 am
lol Wow Purple, I actually like that line.

Iakun

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:06 pm
Really? surprised Maybe I'll put that in my sig.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 pm
*chuckles* I like that line and it's very true! *nods* I agree I plan to keep practicing as well.  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
Extended Discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash