Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Put in your vote! MSNBC "In God We Trust" US Currency Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:40 pm
EATSMEATS
This also comes to mind and makes me angry...
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/gardenpark/DSC00382.jpg

I saw a ton of signs like those on my road trip last year. Those kinds of signs show exactly why God should be removed from the pledge and currency: people will take it and use it as justification for ramming their religion and agendas down our throats. Some people will say that "God" can stand for whatever people want it to stand for, but why do we have to endorse religion at all? Why would we pick one term over another?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm
Pixel Mine
EATSMEATS
This also comes to mind and makes me angry...
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/gardenpark/DSC00382.jpg

I saw a ton of signs like those on my road trip last year. Those kinds of signs show exactly why God should be removed from the pledge and currency: people will take it and use it as justification for ramming their religion and agendas down our throats. Some people will say that "God" can stand for whatever people want it to stand for, but why do we have to endorse religion at all? Why would we pick one term over another?

That's true. Atheism is a religion, we "believe" in things, but that doesn't include a god, so we should shove it down everyones throat.

And the worst part about these signs is how excluded they make us atheists feel because it's "United we stand" together with "In God we trust". Makes me think "Well, I don't believe in God, I must not be united"  

EATSMEATS

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm
The phrase on the dollar bill doesn't affect me much at all, nor does the Pledge of Allegiance since I don't say it at school.
What makes me worried is how much people don't like Atheists. wahmbulance  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:46 pm
EATSMEATS
That's true. Atheism is a religion, we "believe" in things, but that doesn't include a god, so we should shove it down everyones throat.
Atheism isn't a religion; it's a lack of a belief in deities. That's the only thing that defines an atheist. A negative belief, not a positive one.

Did these people forget about "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's"?  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Nardone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:33 pm
they should take it off money and out of the pledge of alligence (spelt that wrong and spell check isnt working D smile some people say that people who find a problem in that are over reacting.. but it might as well be the government saying there is a god which goes against what a lot of americans believe in..  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:46 am
With people using vote bots now days, I have a hard time believing online polls.  

Zambimaru

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:37 am
Now I'm all for the money thing because the whole reason they put the words "in god we trust" was a profoundly idiotic attempt by America to improve it's own economy, but the elitist in me says no to changing the pledge of allegiance.

It doesn't bother me that they say under god in the pledge, I don't say that part any who, that's the way it was originally written though (sure you could argue that they were god-fearing colonists at the time of creating the pledge), sadly though, if we censor that then we're no better than the assholes at the FCC or the MPA.

...oh my...we're pitifully low on those polls.
emo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:06 pm
Pirate Captain Sushi
It doesn't bother me that they say under god in the pledge, I don't say that part any who, that's the way it was originally written though (sure you could argue that they were god-fearing colonists at the time of creating the pledge), sadly though, if we censor that then we're no better than the assholes at the FCC or the MPA.

Actually, it wasn't written by colonists nor did it originally include that phrase. It was first written and used in 1892, and it has been changed a couple times since then. It wasn't even recognized as the official national pledge until 1942. "Under God" wasn't thought of until 50 years after the creation of the pledge, and wasn't officially recognized for another 10 years after that. Unsurprisingly, the campaign to add the phrase to the pledge was lead by a religious organization.

Edit: I should also add that the last change was signed into law during the height of the red scare, when atheism and communism were linked together and both considered unpatriotic.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:31 pm
Pixel Mine
Pirate Captain Sushi

Actually, it wasn't written by colonists nor did it originally include that phrase. It was first written and used in 1892, and it has been changed a couple times since then. It wasn't even recognized as the official national pledge until 1942. "Under God" wasn't thought of until 50 years after the creation of the pledge, and wasn't officially recognized for another 10 years after that. Unsurprisingly, the campaign to add the phrase to the pledge was lead by a religious organization.

Edit: I should also add that the last change was signed into law during the height of the red scare, when atheism and communism were linked together and both considered unpatriotic.

Ho shi- really?
I honestly did not know that, I've been told the anthem has been the same for years... ever since kindergarden!

Wow, that kinda changes my perspective a little....there goes my conservative elitism.

gonk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:38 pm
Pirate Captain Sushi
Pixel Mine
Pirate Captain Sushi

Ho shi- really?
I honestly did not know that, I've been told the anthem has been the same for years... ever since kindergarden!

Wow, that kinda changes my perspective a little....there goes my conservative elitism.

gonk

Yeah, I actually just learned a lot of this stuff as well. I knew that "under God" was added in the 1950's (my dad remembers when it changed, he was born in the 1940's after WWII ended), but I didn't realize how recent the pledge was in our history. I didn't even know that atheism and communism were linked during the red scare, which my dad just confirmed for me.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas