Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MaverickDrifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:03 pm
Nomega
Harupiggy
He walks, he breathes, he takes in nourishment, he can talk. Sammy functions like a human being. He's the same as he was before, except, biomechanical. He's alive, just not OUR version of alive.
In the end he's completely mechanical.
So does that mean he has a robo-c**k?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:08 pm
Cattra Nightblade
Lifeless-Fox
He's a TERMINATOR.

... the robocop one was better -.-" talk2hand
>_>
I don't even care.  

LifelessFawkes

Allegro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:34 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:42 pm
Man, you guys are deep.  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

Allegro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:50 pm
Nomega
Man, you guys are deep.
Well, it's a dumb concept. The only thing we're told that Sammy is losing is physical parts of his being. Humanity is not an aggregate of parts; it is a sum of the emotions and feelings we emote and receive. There's no indication in the scenario that Sammy's cognitive abilities are dimmed whatsoever (the computers substituting for his brain are very vague: it's not shown what purpose they serve.) So why take it seriously when it's a shoddy, incomplete take on a complex moral issue?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:51 pm
Are any of us really "alive"? Sammy might be more alive than any of us. He became something that can never die at the price of his mortal body. Does he even have a consciousness anymore, now that he has lost everything that once made him human?

Who has the right to define if he's alive or not?  

Orphie

J of The Wind

Shirtless Phantom

9,975 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:52 pm
Nomega
Man, you guys are deep.

Oh hush. Were trying. xd

Obviously it depends on what you consider human, or where the point of humanity isnt present in the being anymore.

If he doesnt think, act, or behave like he would as a human, then he probably isnt "alive", If you want to say that. ( though some humans don't even act human, so...)

Honestly I think he stopped being human/ alive when he was removed from his entire body and replaced his brain with artificial intelligence. But its extremely debatable, and I see the holes in my assumption.

Eh.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:56 pm
@J/Allegro: I only meant the comments like "does he have a robot-d**k?"
Of the brain, I thought about the same thing. The way it's described I assume it functions exactly like Sammy's original brain, but it's open to interpretation.  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:06 pm
He's now a Strogg.

If you don't know what that is, play ******** Quake 2 and 4.

Forget it, it was a failed attempt to be humorous.

Honestly, I don't know how to answer this. He's now machine and machines are made of metal, which is not organic matter. But he still has emotions, memories, and desires, and that's part of being of living person. I'm not sure if he's alive or not, this is a rather intriguing question. I should take some time to think about this even more.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:43 pm
If he still has his Memory and Personality, then I consider him alive.

I read the thing outloud to my sister, and no he isn't. His brain cells were deteriorated. He is simply the first step in artificial human technology.  

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:16 pm
I find this whole discussion rather disturbing.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 pm
That begs the question, when information can be copied and duplicated, do these synapses which are now in two or more places at once belong to the original body? Does this machine posses... a soul? Do any of us? In all reality, are we not organic machines?

The teleporter from Star Trek, it destroys you, and simultaneously recreates you... do you not die? As seen in the next generation, if this data is recieved in two places, you will be created by both machines.

see: Thomas Riker  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

System C O R R U P T

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:34 pm
My definition of alive is if he still retains a conscious mind. In other words, as long as he can think without assistance, he is alive.
He died when they installed the computer in his brain. I'm sure over time he would lose his humanity, morality, and ethics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:43 pm
An interesting question. I am not sure how I feel about it-perhaps I am too indecisive. Do you believe in souls? Do you believe that machines are alive? What defines life? Being able to think? Does a brain define life? What defines a brain? What defines thought? What defines a soul?

AM I LIVING OR AM I DEAD
I AM ONLY A MAN  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items