Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Should there be an Atheist social movement? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should Atheists have a social movement?
  yes
  no
View Results

Piroki-chan23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:30 am
LimeIzMyFaveColor
GodlessProphet
LimeIzMyFaveColor
so if we do
then how can we set such a great movement?

I suggest starting groups in local areas to discuss and plan public speaches and protests. With local groups in communities across the planet, we will have a system of organazation that will give us the upper hand.
I would say to only speak out against religions that offended Atheists (mainly Christianity and Catholosism). For the most part, I would give pubic lectures on evolution and the Big Bang. Let those who oppose debate against us; with our superior logic it will be far less of a debate and more of making the opposition seem moronic.
I just hope it's all non-violent.

yes definetly
even if they do try to threaten us or what not
we must stay calm and be "nice" to them
like don't use profanity because that makes us sound savage
i doubt i can start one
considering the place where i live has like a church on every block
and there's barely any atheist at all

My town is lke that, a Christian church every block or 2. Just Try to see how many other Atheists are in your community, you might be supprised. I was supprised to find how many other Atheists where in my community.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:40 pm
GodlessProphet
LimeIzMyFaveColor
GodlessProphet
LimeIzMyFaveColor
so if we do

I suggest starting groups in local areas to discuss and plan public speaches and protests. With local groups in communities across the planet, we will have a system of organazation that will give us the upper hand.
I would say to only speak out against religions that offended Atheists (mainly Christianity and Catholosism). For the most part, I would give pubic lectures on evolution and the Big Bang. Let those who oppose debate against us; with our superior logic it will be far less of a debate and more of making the opposition seem moronic.

yes definetly
i doubt i can start one

My town is lke that, a Christian church every block or 2. Just Try to see how many other Atheists are in your community, you might be supprised. I was supprised to find how many other Atheists where in my community.

Perhaps we can try to go into the churches itself and openly speak about atheism, although i don't know how rude, intolerable, or hostile it may be.  

Marx Gant

Hilarious Prophet

StevenStBlaize

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:49 am
Yes! I believe Atheists should work together to dispel the hold religion has on the world and work to completely eradicate all forms of religion.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:42 pm
StevenStBlaize
Yes! I believe Atheists should work together to dispel the hold religion has on the world and work to completely eradicate all forms of religion.

I disagree. i don't want to terminate religion, I simply want to educate the public on Atheism and what we believe. If anyone decides to denounce their faith because of it, so be it. Yet we should not force it upon them as they have to us, we are the better.  

Piroki-chan23

Nardone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:14 pm
or instead of having an atheist movement.. why dont we make a symbol for ourselves?
like no one could b***h at us for it.. its showing our views.. we should just make it known that were not animals.. but good people..  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:16 pm
StevenStBlaize

isnt that a little too far? people are allowed to believe what they want..
but if you look at it this way.. the number of atheists grew this generation.. if they keep growing WE will be the majority..  

Nardone

pure seyelance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:21 pm
GodlessProphet
I have been thinking about a lot of things the past week or so. Namely Atheism, my fellow Atheists, and how we compare to other minority groups.
I have come to the conclusion that there must be some form of social revolution in our society (or at least the American one) in order for us to viewed as equal.
Statistically, we are the least trusted group out there. The only reason why no one ever hears of violence towards Atheists is because religion isn't something that comes up on a regular basis and thus there are no ways to tell if someone is Atheist unless they say so. I wouldn't be surprised if Christians turned violent towards us if we had some universal symbol of Atheism with us at all times.
I find that the main problem is that people don't know much about evolution and/or the Big Bang so they automatically assume that they're anti-god. There is no part of the theory of evolution that states "There is no god" and the same is for the Big Bang theory.
For pubic demonstrations I would suggest public lectures or speeches on the theories of evolution and the Big Bang.

Ultimately, such a movement cannot be accomplished alone. Would you take part in this? If so, what would you do?

my friend we are equal, whether they dont want us to be or not, its our choice to be atheist, and their choice to be christian, Jewish or all the like, but as for the chirstmas thing i wouldnt know, i cant guess humanity  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:50 am
GodlessProphet
StevenStBlaize

I disagree. i don't want to terminate religion, I simply want to educate the public on Atheism and what we believe. If anyone decides to denounce their faith because of it, so be it. Yet we should not force it upon them as they have to us, we are the better.
I should have been more clear... We should work together to dispel the hold of ignorance and mysticism religion has on the world. I believe the world will be a better place once religion is eradicated, but the only way that can truly happen is if, generation by generation, more and more people are educated instead of indoctrinated until eventually the religious are the minority.  

StevenStBlaize

Piroki-chan23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:37 pm
Nardone
or instead of having an atheist movement.. why dont we make a symbol for ourselves?
like no one could b***h at us for it.. its showing our views.. we should just make it known that were not animals.. but good people..

There are actually many symbols already for atheism.
Here's all the one's I've seen thus far:
http://homepage.mac.com/lpetrich/Pix/NumberedAtheistSymbols.jpg  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:52 pm
no no, the symbol of pi inside of a circle isnt a sign of atheism, no pi is a term for math, and also a fish!? where the hell does someone get that?!  

pure seyelance

StevenStBlaize

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:18 pm
dawns heartless dusk
no no, the symbol of pi inside of a circle isnt a sign of atheism, no pi is a term for math, and also a fish!? where the hell does someone get that?!
Alright so Pi is definitely random, but you've never seen the Jesus Fish? That's what I call it, and on that website it had grown legs, i.e. evolved, which is something religion is against and atheism promotes, so that one has a bit of logic behind it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:24 pm
Jackal Sano
GodlessProphet
LimeIzMyFaveColor
GodlessProphet
LimeIzMyFaveColor
so if we do

yes definetly
i doubt i can start one

Perhaps we can try to go into the churches itself and openly speak about atheism, although i don't know how rude, intolerable, or hostile it may be.

We could try lol. i dont think they would, its not very christian of them to do that XD  

Esanx

Perfect Hero

19,825 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:05 pm
I couldn't do that around here. Theres a church 700 feet from here, and another RIGHT across the street froom that. And another like 1500 feet from here. So I'd probably be shunned in this little quiet village of houses.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:57 am
Bleach Esan
Jackal Sano
GodlessProphet
LimeIzMyFaveColor
GodlessProphet
LimeIzMyFaveColor
so if we do

yes definetly
i doubt i can start one

We could try lol. i dont think they would, its not very christian of them to do that XD
BAHAHHA! Are you serious!? "Hey, can I come into your place of worship and do my darndest to explain how I happily live a godless existence, and completely discredit all of your beliefs? Kthnx."

Doubtful is the word of the day.

If they don't kill you, they'll DEFINITELY politely decline.  

StevenStBlaize

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:05 am
In some ways I do and in some ways I dont. If we do we cant complain to christians and other religious groups about how they are having huge movments and trying to make us go to church on SUPER BOWL SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! Jk I dun watch baseball. But also something like "The mist" can happen and where the few sensible people left in the store almost get killed by the religious fanatics.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff