Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Hello Fellow RE Fans! Got a minute? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:27 pm
Thee Stranger

Well, you might be right about that. Eh, take the good with the bad? I'm hoping something brings it back. We need something new to come out that willfully "dated".
Okay, but... I'd take a horror game over a shooter any day.. So... Where's the good in killing my favorite genre?

See, the new Silent Hill won't have combat in it... Which makes me pray that it'll sell well and start a revolution of non-combat oriented horror games.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:28 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
You know, it might've revolutionized shooters, to some extent. But I still insist that it killed the Survival Horror game genre.
Let's hope the new Silent Hill will be able to revive it.

Oh god I HATED SH 4 with a passion. I read that SH 4 was supposed to be some other horror game, but they turned around and randomly made it into the 4th installment of the SH series. WTF! It didn't even take place IN Silent Hill. stressed The gameplay was rather redundant too...UGH...

wait.... hmmm.... eek you know in THAT regard I can probably understand better where you're getting at with the whole "it changed from the original of the series". Actually when I played RE Remake the first time, the controls were so easy to do because the character movement is the same as the SH series.

But anyway, I have yet to play SH Homecoming. I've heard mix reviews. But we'll see.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:35 pm
Well, I liked Homecoming overall, it was really well written, and had very likeable, believable characters. But don't expect it to be scary.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:47 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Thee Stranger

Well, you might be right about that. Eh, take the good with the bad? I'm hoping something brings it back. We need something new to come out that willfully "dated".
Okay, but... I'd take a horror game over a shooter any day.. So... Where's the good in killing my favorite genre?

See, the new Silent Hill won't have combat in it... Which makes me pray that it'll sell well and start a revolution of non-combat oriented horror games.

Well... me too. But I like me some action/shooter games too.
And I even like some light combat in my survival horror. But yeah, the emphasis shouldn't be there.

Ya know, everything woulda been just fine if they did with RE4 what they did with DMC. Then everyone woulda been happy.  

Thee Stranger

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:47 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, I liked Homecoming overall, it was really well written, and had very likeable, believable characters. But don't expect it to be scary.

Well there's "scary" and then there's "creepy". I love either one, but the one thing I always prefer first is a good storyline, THEN I worry about the gameplay. I do however enjoy the storyline of the 4th game, despite its horrible flaws >_>. I found it interesting to, even though it didn't place in Silent Hill, they connected it TO Silent Hill in small ways. It brought in great music for one, and some of its environments had an SH feel to it, but not entirely, and little tid bits they left in found items I recognized from previous SH games. So it wasn't so bad. Its fun to play when I'm bored xD

Here's however the concepts for why I agree more for an "over the shoulder look" type of shooter versus complete 3rd person view. For the original make for the RE 4 game.....yeah it was WAY too Silent Hillish. I'm glad they changed it and to compare the gameplays with the original RE games, I find it more of a personal play when it IS turned into a shooter. I mean I know I know, if they turned SH into a shooter I'd be pissed and the RE games originally weren't shooters. I'm a fan of shooters to begin with, and their little "over the shoulder" look I think helps counteract that entire "shooter" feel. Otherwise if RE 4 was completely 1st person view, I wouldn't have bothered with it. I would have just stuck with the cut scenes and that's it. In fact I think that's the entire reason they purposely made it over the shoulder was because you get 1st person, but 3rd person at the same time and the original RE AND SH games were completely 3rd person.

Making it partial shooter DOES help you to kill the zombies better so you can actually aim the damn gun versus the game aiming it for you in a slightly retarded fashion since it doesn't always hit the enemy. I find it to make the gameplay a lot faster and smoother versus constantly running your character around and picking up items. I get bored very easily with games that are a bit too slow for flow and to tell you the truth, if they took the SH series and made it "over the shoulder" view I wouldn't entire hate it. Putting your eye level with the eye level of the character makes it more creepy and puts you more on the edge of your seat versus constantly seeing everything giving it an almost 2 Dimensional feel, which only reminds me of NES games. But, being the devils advocate again against my own view, both RE and SH series as I said before, originally are 3rd person view with the classic horror survival gameplay which is mainly literally "surviving" and finding items to continue the story and that's it. No super action, no fast paced 1st person shooting, just pure story and pure survival. Don't know about RE, but SH I'm USED to it being in that type of gameplay.

So all this ramble considered, in those regards I can see why you guys aren't fond of the gameplay in the newer RE games.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:54 pm
Well, then you might be disappointed with Homecoming, because it followed the horrible trend and glued the camera to the guy's back, just like RE4.
It makes the game a lot less scary. I have yet to play a horror game with the over the shoulder camera, that actually, genuinely scares me or creeps me out. Aside from Siren.
But RE4 wasn't scary. Dead Space wasn't scary. And SH Homecoming only had like one or two areas that I thought were actually creepy. So don't get your hopes up.  

Biohazard EXTREME

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:00 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, then you might be disappointed with Homecoming, because it followed the horrible trend and glued the camera to the guy's back, just like RE4.
It makes the game a lot less scary. I have yet to play a horror game with the over the shoulder camera, that actually, genuinely scares me or creeps me out. Aside from Siren.
But RE4 wasn't scary. Dead Space wasn't scary. And SH Homecoming only had like one or two areas that I thought were actually creepy. So don't get your hopes up.

Oh I wanted to check into Dead Space. The anime movie they made for it was awesome! And I've heard a lot of reviews about it.

But I'm a huge SH fan so I think I'll enjoy SH Homecoming regardless mainly due to the fact that the camera angles never were the greatest in the SH series to begin with at least when trying to look around. It never bothered me though, just a little annoying. SH games aren't scary, but they sure are creepy as hell. Depends on the person though. Everyone has their own sense of creepy and scary right? The game that usually makes me jump is the F.E.A.R. series. GOD I love that game series! I still have to get F.E.A.R. 2. Its done by Monolith and Monolith did my most favored classic pc game, Blood.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:07 pm
Well, I always considered creepiness to be a subcategory of scary... So when I say something's not scary, that includes the creepiness factor.

The thing about independent camera, though, is that it can create atmosphere so much better than something that's anchored to the character.
Just look at the very first part of Silent Hill 1, where Harry runs through those alleyways, and the camera is so disorienting. It was done on purpose. And it works well.  

Biohazard EXTREME

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:16 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, I always considered creepiness to be a subcategory of scary... So when I say something's not scary, that includes the creepiness factor.

The thing about independent camera, though, is that it can create atmosphere so much better than something that's anchored to the character.
Just look at the very first part of Silent Hill 1, where Harry runs through those alleyways, and the camera is so disorienting. It was done on purpose. And it works well.

yeah thats true. So now you've got me curious. what did you think of the SH movie? I personally loved it although it does have its obvious flaws. I honestly HATE the fact and I do mean HATE how they freaking........ugh stressed stressed stressed made the main character the mom when its supposed to be THE DAD! you know whats even more retarded? was the reasonings they made it the mom instead of that dad. in an interview they literally stated the bullshit that "the main character in the 1st game acts so much like a woman.....so we decided to make the movie's main character a mother."

yeah......what kind of bullshit is that? acts like a woman? WHAT THE HELL! ARG!.......*takes a chill pill* aside from that one annoying aspect, I thought it was interesting how the brought in a mixture of aspects of all the SH games that were currently out at the time. I know Pyramid Head is strictly SH 2 monster, but I found it rather satisfying that they brought him in and I got to see him on the big screen. I LOVE P.H. Besdies the SH nurses are in more than one game so why not P.H.? And I honestly prefer the new rendition type of design they did for PH in the movie versus in the game...and the helmet actually lost more like a pyramid lol. He's a lot creepier looking too cuz in the second game I found him to be kinda "meh". I also enjoyed very much how they took some of the classic camera angels from the games and implemented it into the movie, mainly at the beginning when she's running down the alley way the camera pans above her head, over and back from behind her.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:25 pm
I like the movie. But with movies it's different. Because no matter what they do, if it's in a completely different canon than the games, then even if the movie sucked, it wouldn't affect the game storyline in any way.
But I dunno, something about SH movie I just loved. I mean, there was the visual aspect of it. There was the scare factor of it. Which, for the record I found interesting, because in the games, the atmosphere is creepy, but the monsters, although disturbing, aren't scary. But I found that in the movie, it was the monsters that gave me more of a scare. Like the grey children, their cries cut into my soul. Or that's what it felt like.
But aside from all that, there's something about the movie, I can't put my finger on it, that no matter how often I watch it, I never get tired of it. I dunno why.

As for making the main character a woman, it was a strange decision. But when he said the main character in SH1 was womanly, I think he meant that only a mother would be that nurturing to her child. I dunno. Either way, I found it really interesting how in Silent Hill, all the key characters were women, all of them. And in the real world, it were men. The movie was definitely more than just a video game interpretation. Like, I think if there were no SH games, it would've still made a great movie. Except they wouldn't have come up with it.
But if you liked SH movie visually, all the more to like from Homecoming, because they took a LOT out of the movie. From the design of the nurses (and other monsters), to the way everything changes to otherworld (peeling upwards), to even like, having to cut through a painting to get to a secret passage on the other side. Yes, that's in the game.
And lots more.  

Biohazard EXTREME

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:55 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
I like the movie. But with movies it's different. Because no matter what they do, if it's in a completely different canon than the games, then even if the movie sucked, it wouldn't affect the game storyline in any way.
But I dunno, something about SH movie I just loved. I mean, there was the visual aspect of it. There was the scare factor of it. Which, for the record I found interesting, because in the games, the atmosphere is creepy, but the monsters, although disturbing, aren't scary. But I found that in the movie, it was the monsters that gave me more of a scare. Like the grey children, their cries cut into my soul. Or that's what it felt like.
But aside from all that, there's something about the movie, I can't put my finger on it, that no matter how often I watch it, I never get tired of it. I dunno why.

As for making the main character a woman, it was a strange decision. But when he said the main character in SH1 was womanly, I think he meant that only a mother would be that nurturing to her child. I dunno. Either way, I found it really interesting how in Silent Hill, all the key characters were women, all of them. And in the real world, it were men. The movie was definitely more than just a video game interpretation. Like, I think if there were no SH games, it would've still made a great movie. Except they wouldn't have come up with it.
But if you liked SH movie visually, all the more to like from Homecoming, because they took a LOT out of the movie. From the design of the nurses (and other monsters), to the way everything changes to otherworld (peeling upwards), to even like, having to cut through a painting to get to a secret passage on the other side. Yes, that's in the game.
And lots more.

I totally agree with all this. Especially the grey children's cries. God that pierced my ears and sent a chill up my spin. Oh yeah and we can't forget the music! OMG the music....especially at the intro to the movie...oh man hot stuff! As for the aspect of making it with a mother instead of a father, I mean don't get me wrong, I think its awesome that a woman is a lead role (for once), but its like they stereotyped it. its like what....a father can't be just as tenderly caring for a child? In movies its almost always about the mother and a child but its rare that its about a father and a child so thats why I loved the aspect of the first game how it was the father instead of the mother. see what im saying? its okay though, i was still captivated by the movie regardless.

and god I also love how they kept to the games by implementing how Rose had to find different clues like in the bathroom seen where she had to pull out the key from the guys mouth. OMG! that was so awesome! xD And the graphic rendition of SH going from its foggy stage to corrupted stage? jesus that makes me giddy! I can't WAIT till the second movie.

thats the one thing i trully loved about the movie was its ending. although i dont entirely agree with it, i LOVED how they did a smooth transition from the story of the first game into the second. that was a beautiful idea wasnt it? oh man. normally the games dont have a connection to each other (except for SH 1 and 3), but I love how the movie took that step and actually connected the stories. brilliance.....  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:51 pm
Woah I'm gone for liek two days and this comes up. If I was a mod this thread would've been contained long ago. Saint, to put it simply where the direction of these conversations are going to should be said in the 13 Grill sricky. speaking of containing threads where is Canas?  

Alkaizer87

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:13 pm
SaintChaos

thats the one thing i trully loved about the movie was its ending. although i dont entirely agree with it, i LOVED how they did a smooth transition from the story of the first game into the second. that was a beautiful idea wasnt it? oh man. normally the games dont have a connection to each other (except for SH 1 and 3), but I love how the movie took that step and actually connected the stories. brilliance.....

This right here, confuses me.

Haha yeah, this thread is kinda crazy.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 pm
Alkaizer87
Woah I'm gone for liek two days and this comes up. If I was a mod this thread would've been contained long ago. Saint, to put it simply where the direction of these conversations are going to should be said in the 13 Grill sricky. speaking of containing threads where is Canas?

lol ive been waiting for this thread to be just deleted honestly. i started out as an introduction thread, didnt know the Idenditication thread was one of those O_o the title made the explanation of it aloof.

but i figured since a conversation was already going, i might as well keep up the conversation UNTIL the thread is thrown away. was having too much of a good time talking to Biohazard Extreme and Thee Stranger  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:30 pm
Mr. Kennedy
SaintChaos

This right here, confuses me.

Haha yeah, this thread is kinda crazy.

whats confusing you about it?  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out