Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
has religion ever caused war? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

has religion ever caused war
  yes
  no
View Results

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:13 pm
People are often violent with their religion as their reason. It wasn't really a war between Nazis and jews for instance but what the nazis did was religiously motivated violence.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 pm
Rilian Sharp
People are often violent with their religion as their reason. It wasn't really a war between Nazis and jews for instance but what the nazis did was religiously motivated violence.
Well, yes and no. That's nice you pointed out the religious motive (as the part of propaganda was the popularization of "german" mythology), however the main motive was nationalism which found a great ground in decadent atmosphere and the mood of failure which was eating german and austrian people a lot. The hatred against Jews started much earlier.  

Raticiel

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:13 pm
Religion alone does nothing.

But mix it with ignorannce and it'll be like... sticking a fork into a socket. Multiplied by billions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:03 pm
King Philip of Spain declared war on England because he believed that they were enemies of god for renouncing Catholicism.  

Zambimaru

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:58 pm
Raticiel
Pirate Captain Sushi
Religon doesn't cause war, but merely an exuse for it.

A dictator with low troops is obviously going to try and obtain great quantaties of followers quickly.
I agree with this. However some religions say their followers should convert heretics. But that's still just a part of human nature. Or should I say: male nature? Paternalism is so evil evil (I'm starting to be more and more feministic about this stuff xd ) I wonder, just wonder, what would happen if women were ruling the world.

what males dont always try and convert people who think there belifes are wrong! Why Id convert you right now into beliving me if I wasnt so angry about it blaugh rofl ...yes its meant to be a joke stare  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:53 am
Raticiel
Rilian Sharp
Well, yes and no. That's nice you pointed out the religious motive (as the part of propaganda was the popularization of "german" mythology), however the main motive was nationalism which found a great ground in decadent atmosphere and the mood of failure which was eating german and austrian people a lot. The hatred against Jews started much earlier.
And why did the "nation" have to exlude jews? Because of religion.  

Prince Rilian

Raticiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:05 am
FuzzBall 005
Raticiel
Pirate Captain Sushi
Religon doesn't cause war, but merely an exuse for it.

A dictator with low troops is obviously going to try and obtain great quantaties of followers quickly.
I agree with this. However some religions say their followers should convert heretics. But that's still just a part of human nature. Or should I say: male nature? Paternalism is so evil evil (I'm starting to be more and more feministic about this stuff xd ) I wonder, just wonder, what would happen if women were ruling the world.

what males dont always try and convert people who think there belifes are wrong! Why Id convert you right now into beliving me if I wasnt so angry about it blaugh rofl ...yes its meant to be a joke stare
well, my 75% of brain which is supposed to be masculine (as the facebook quiz assumes) tells me to quote your post and write something back... but I don't know what to say wink  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 am
Rilian Sharp
Raticiel
Rilian Sharp
And why did the "nation" have to exlude jews? Because of religion.
It depends on which side of that "conflict" we're talking about. However I think it was a war against Jews as the nation, not the jewish religion itself. Germans wanted to destroy Jews for more reasons, mostly cultural and ideological, don't forget they were an important part of their society, very wealthy and respected, but to some movements (those that inspired Hitler most and helped anti-jewish propaganda in past) they were like parasites which have to be executed in order to purify their society and/or race, but it was an absurd way of purifying because many german and austrian families were completely mixed up with Jews, and as a result of that, I, for example, am aware of my possible jewish blood, as part of my family comes from Austria. Also many Jews that weren't orthodox and came from respected families survived the war quite well. It was more complicated, and as always it depended on connections and such stuff. Religion itself could be completely different, it was just an excuse. One of many foolish excuses for holocaust.  

Raticiel

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces