Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Need help identifying an entity. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

VixenxVid3licit

3,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:33 am
8Bit Jack
While I'm pretty inclined to go with sleep paralysis, I neglected to elaborate that she wasn't the only person who saw things in that house. Her foster dad also saw stuff, but believed the ability to be evil and was a born-again christian. They were discussing it late one night, and she saw a white silhouette sitting on the couch next to her dad with its arm over his shoulders. She told him what she saw, and he said he knew; he said a prayer, and it went away.

So, again, this instance could easily have been sleep paralysis or the like, but there still seems to be potential that it was something else.

Sorry in advance if I'm digging up a dead topic.. but I can't help but be interested. Perhaps the thought form actually belonged to her foster dad? You said he was a 'born-again' christian. Sometimes people get into things they can't handle with the occult or satanism then suddenly decide that 'whoa this is too much for me' and become 'born-again' Christians. I don't know the situation completely so this is mostly just speculation but since you said that HE said a prayer and it went away leads me to believe that he still has some sort of power over the entity, whatever it might be. It might have looked scary but given that it didn't hurt them it might have just been a protector. Fear can compound upon it's self.

93/93

--Vid  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:58 am
Well, first off, I do not think it was a demon. However, it could have been something else. Children tend to not have the grip on "reality" that adults do. Which in turn causes them to see more supernatural and paranormal things than most adults can see. As we get older, most adults lose that ability because they close their mind to such things. That said, it could have been something and the child's active imagination, which also tends to lack in adulthood, formed it into something scary and fairytale like. On the other hand, it could have been nothing at all. Really there is no definite way to know, but if it had been a demon it probably would have done more than what it did.  

Underworld Priestess

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:59 am
vid3licit
8Bit Jack
While I'm pretty inclined to go with sleep paralysis, I neglected to elaborate that she wasn't the only person who saw things in that house. Her foster dad also saw stuff, but believed the ability to be evil and was a born-again christian. They were discussing it late one night, and she saw a white silhouette sitting on the couch next to her dad with its arm over his shoulders. She told him what she saw, and he said he knew; he said a prayer, and it went away.

So, again, this instance could easily have been sleep paralysis or the like, but there still seems to be potential that it was something else.

Sorry in advance if I'm digging up a dead topic.. but I can't help but be interested. Perhaps the thought form actually belonged to her foster dad? You said he was a 'born-again' christian. Sometimes people get into things they can't handle with the occult or satanism then suddenly decide that 'whoa this is too much for me' and become 'born-again' Christians. I don't know the situation completely so this is mostly just speculation but since you said that HE said a prayer and it went away leads me to believe that he still has some sort of power over the entity, whatever it might be. It might have looked scary but given that it didn't hurt them it might have just been a protector. Fear can compound upon it's self.

93/93

--Vid

This is a good explanation too.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:42 am
It sounds strangely like a Boggart, from the old days. They do change with geographical areas.
This one sounds like tree boggart from up north. The red eyes are throwing me off however. Did the girl actually feel the entity move over her?

Be glad its not a Vice'ler those things are nasty, and that is my professional opinion.  

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:47 am
Oborosen
Be glad its not a Vice'ler those things are nasty, and that is my professional opinion.

What is a Vice'ler?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:08 pm
Mitsh
Oborosen

What is a Vice'ler?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodyanoy

I have no idea what he meant.. I don't know if he knows what he meant.. but this is the only think remotely close i could find that was mildly associated with boggarts.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 am
VixenxVittoria
Mitsh
Oborosen

What is a Vice'ler?

I have no idea what he meant.. I don't know if he knows what he meant.. but this is the only think remotely close i could find that was mildly associated with boggarts.

That isn't a Vice'ler. I asked a friend of mine, who was very eager to know exactly where I'd heard the name. He changed the subject, somewhat, so I'll have to ask him what one is later, though.

I'm pretty sure that Vice'lers are in no way related to boggarts and are a wholly separate entity, in and of themselves.

Suffice to say, it's a creature of its own kind, and I should be getting more information to you on it fairly soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:36 am
Zurah
VixenxVittoria
Mitsh
Oborosen

What is a Vice'ler?

That isn't a Vice'ler. I asked a friend of mine, who was very eager to know exactly where I'd heard the name. He changed the subject, somewhat, so I'll have to ask him what one is later, though.

I'm pretty sure that Vice'lers are in no way related to boggarts and are a wholly separate entity, in and of themselves.

Suffice to say, it's a creature of its own kind, and I should be getting more information to you on it fairly soon.

How do you know they're entirely different entities, and that Vice'lers aren't Vodyanoy nor boggarts? You said your friend changed the subject pretty quick (which I've found tends to be indicative of someone who doesn't know anything but doesn't want to admit it), and I took from that that he didn't give you information about the Vice'ler, yet you seem confident in your assertion that they're all different entities.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:34 pm
I really like that I can leave it to Mitch to state the obvious if I wait long enough. razz

I'm sure most of you by this point know Oborosen is a big fan of making assertions without evidence, and by now, his appearance in the thread should instantly put you all in Skeptic-Mode... If any of you actually know how to do that yet.

My current theories are that Oborosen is a Troll that really rocks at Trolling, or that he just likes the attention he gets by acting more knowledgeable and worldly than anyone else regarding these matters.

Now, disregard what he has said and this topic will be back on track. I apologize in advance if this reply leads to more thread derailment.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:13 am
Mitsh

How do you know they're entirely different entities, and that Vice'lers aren't Vodyanoy nor boggarts? You said your friend changed the subject pretty quick (which I've found tends to be indicative of someone who doesn't know anything but doesn't want to admit it), and I took from that that he didn't give you information about the Vice'ler, yet you seem confident in your assertion that they're all different entities.

I found it a little fishy, but I did interrupt him.

And as for the boggart question? The way his post was written, it seemed that whatever he was about to talk about wasn't going to be a boggart, but instead, something he found to be much worse. Considering Vittoria's line of query was along those of a boggart, it seemed a pretty safe assumption. I should have pointed this out.

I spoke with him again on the subject, and he seemed somewhat hesitant to talk about it. He said the name 'Viceler' was somewhat off, and that he'd heard of something that sounded kind of like that, but with a different accent quite a while back.

Personally, I've found he's a reliable source in that everything he says checks out eventually, if you can find the resources, but often when you ask him a question, he doesn't know or give you the complete answer. Sort of a mixed blessing.

What I got from him is another track of research, which sounded a little more like piece of table-top game lore than anything else. sweatdrop

Dead end, I say. Mitsh's wisdom prevails, yet again.

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Zurah

Tipsy Phantom

8,175 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:19 am
@ Abott-- Oborosen's clearly a name-dropping fool.

The names he does drop, though, are interesting. There's a group of somewhat mentally... special? people in my area. Mostly, they're bipolar with mild delusions. Some are schizophrenic and others have their own special traits, many of them have IQs that put my bowling scores to shame.

The funny thing about the names Oborosen drops is that these people talk about some of the sorts of creatures he names. Sure, it might just be 'special' people pretending they know about things that someone made up on the spot for attention or whatever, but I somewhat suspect there might be more to it than that.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm
Oborosen

@Oborosen -- What exactly is your profession? How is your opinion professional when you provide no references what so ever and every occult book in my library provides no mention of this non-descriptive boogie man creature you call a vicel'er?

@Zurah -- He didn't say that boggarts were different types of creatures than whatever the hell vice'ler's are.. He said that they were 'much worse'

( this is starting to feel like one of those ******** logic questions from an iq test- If beebles are boggarts and boggarts are not vicelers what is a vodanoy)

If you look at the wiki link it has alternative names to vodanoy's that are pretty darn close to viceler if you were using a northern European dialect or Germanic dialect.

Still.. if you change the spelling to a Germanic dialect it becomes Weissler or Weißler

Name Meaning and History
Jewish (Ashkenazic): probably a topographic name for someone who lived near the Vistula river, from Yiddish vaysl ‘Vistula’ + the Yiddish suffix -er denoting an inhabitant.

which again points back to the myth of vodanoys

Quote:
In Slavic mythology and Norse Mythology, vodyanoy (Russian: водяно́й, literally "watery"), vodyanoi, Ukrainian vodianyk (Ukrainian: водяник), Polish wodnik, Czech and Slovak vodník, Bulgarian vodnik (Bulgarian: водник), or Serbian vodenjak (Cyrillic: водењак) and Norwegian havmannen is a male water spirit. Vodník (or in germanized form hastrman) in Czech fairy tales is the same creature as the Wassermann or nix of German fairy tales.

We shouldn't be the ones trying to figure out what what Oborosen meant in his 'professional opinion' evil stare

Damn my curiosity.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 pm
Abbot_Natalis
I really like that I can leave it to Mitch to state the obvious if I wait long enough. razz

I'm sure most of you by this point know Oborosen is a big fan of making assertions without evidence, and by now, his appearance in the thread should instantly put you all in Skeptic-Mode... If any of you actually know how to do that yet.

My current theories are that Oborosen is a Troll that really rocks at Trolling, or that he just likes the attention he gets by acting more knowledgeable and worldly than anyone else regarding these matters.

Now, disregard what he has said and this topic will be back on track. I apologize in advance if this reply leads to more thread derailment.

yes and what he said

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:41 pm
Russian: vodyanoy
Ukrainian: vodianyk
Polish: wodnik
Czech and Slovak: vodník
Bulgarian: vodnik
Serbian: vodenjak
Norwegian: havmannen
Vodník/hastrman)/Wasserman/Nix

None of these look remotely like "Vice'ler" - the only thing they have in common is that they start with the letter "v". Every other unit of the word is entirely different - it's VOD-NIK versus VAIS-LER, which don't seem anywhere close to cognate.

Regarding Weißler - the reason this pops up is because river's Polish name is "Wisła" - the two are cognate. Which is interesting, sure, but we don't know if the Vice'ler have anything to do with water at all.

In any case, I've asked Oborosen to come into the thread and give us an answer, so we'll soon have the mystery cleared up.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:44 pm
Mitsh
Russian: vodyanoy
Ukrainian: vodianyk
Polish: wodnik
Czech and Slovak: vodník
Bulgarian: vodnik
Serbian: vodenjak
Norwegian: havmannen
Vodník/hastrman)/Wasserman/Nix

None of these look remotely like "Vice'ler" - the only thing they have in common is that they start with the letter "v". Every other unit of the word is entirely different - it's VOD-NIK versus VAIS-LER, which don't seem anywhere close to cognate.

Regarding Weißler - the reason this pops up is because river's Polish name is "Wisła" - the two are cognate. Which is interesting, sure, but we don't know if the Vice'ler have anything to do with water at all.

In any case, I've asked Oborosen to come into the thread and give us an answer, so we'll soon have the mystery cleared up.

I agree with you. Like i said before I had no idea what OBO was refering to.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff