Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:54 am
Waynebrizzle
GuruGuru214
Yeah, no way in hell I'm updating this one. It makes me sad that Nintendo's gotten so desperate to shut down homebrew on the Wii that they've released a system update that's the equivalent of Russian roulette, and for what? What the hell is homebrew doing to hurt them? Hell, if anything, it drums up more interest in the Wii.

As I see it, my Wii is in a pretty good place right now. I've got SDHC support and the SD card menu, I've got homebrew, all of it works, and I almost have all my save files back from the last time I sent my Wii in to Nintendo (and I specifically waited until after I got it back from that incident to install homebrew). Once I do a run of the Paper Mario series and work on Brawl some more, I should be right back where I was, and then some. And I see no reason to risk that for a potentially fatal update that has no benefit and no purpose other than to attempt (and fail) to crush something I enjoy.

Well, potentially fail, anyway. Sure, Team Twiizers has already gotten around the new update, but if the update bricks the Wii, then technically they did succeed in getting rid of homebrew on it.

They're trying to stop homebrew because people pirate with it.

And it's not Russian roulette. The people getting these problems are a humongous minority. Nobody in this guild has had that problem, and there are at least a thousand members, so look at that for a frame of reference. Ten people on a forum might seem large on that forum, but remember that it's just that; ten people.

I feel bad for those people that got gipped by this update, but Nintendo wouldn't have to do it if people weren't pirating all the time.
i'm not a pirate... i just didn't want to have to pay 5 bucks to rent punchout. >_>  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:41 pm
~Xiloscent~
Waynebrizzle
GuruGuru214
Yeah, no way in hell I'm updating this one. It makes me sad that Nintendo's gotten so desperate to shut down homebrew on the Wii that they've released a system update that's the equivalent of Russian roulette, and for what? What the hell is homebrew doing to hurt them? Hell, if anything, it drums up more interest in the Wii.

As I see it, my Wii is in a pretty good place right now. I've got SDHC support and the SD card menu, I've got homebrew, all of it works, and I almost have all my save files back from the last time I sent my Wii in to Nintendo (and I specifically waited until after I got it back from that incident to install homebrew). Once I do a run of the Paper Mario series and work on Brawl some more, I should be right back where I was, and then some. And I see no reason to risk that for a potentially fatal update that has no benefit and no purpose other than to attempt (and fail) to crush something I enjoy.

Well, potentially fail, anyway. Sure, Team Twiizers has already gotten around the new update, but if the update bricks the Wii, then technically they did succeed in getting rid of homebrew on it.

They're trying to stop homebrew because people pirate with it.

And it's not Russian roulette. The people getting these problems are a humongous minority. Nobody in this guild has had that problem, and there are at least a thousand members, so look at that for a frame of reference. Ten people on a forum might seem large on that forum, but remember that it's just that; ten people.

I feel bad for those people that got gipped by this update, but Nintendo wouldn't have to do it if people weren't pirating all the time.
i'm not a pirate... i just didn't want to have to pay 5 bucks to rent punchout. >_>

That's the definition of pirate, bro.  

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

problematic briefcase

O.G. Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 pm
It's kinda funny why people who's Wii's aren't even modded are still getting ********.
I think I read that the update overwrites the boot2 or something. The boot2 is something that the hackers use as well. It's not even a bad thing. It just helps in case you install a bad wad and it bricks. Bootmii starts up before the Wii does, you can either run the HBC and delete the bad wad or restore the NAND if it's a really bad brick.

The thing is, the update is doing something to the boot2 thingy, so if the update freezes, that's bad, it ******** up while it was playing with the boot2. Your Wii bricks so that it can't even start up.

xD Nintendo can't even mess around with their own s**t without breaking it.
I know that update restores specific IOS's that the pirates use. They're just trying to get you to play they way they want you too.

But yeah, this update was purely targeted toward pirates and people who have HBC.

It's not like it really hurts anyone. >.> The HBC I mean. Sure you can pirate, but it should be okay if you're just getting some old game you used to own. Or just running emulators.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:18 am
That's like saying guns don't really hurt anyone because some people collect them.

Companies go bankrupt when their games don't sell. This isn't just some little nuisance that we can just laugh at and say "nintendo sux" and be over with it. They're trying to save peoples' jobs.

Besides, you should be mad at the pirates. If they weren't using the homebrew channel, Nintendo probably wouldn't care.  

Waynebrizzle

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 am
It's admirable that they're trying to stave off piracy, but it's comical that they're bricking clean Wiis. I think they should just stop trying. If the past is any clue, defeating piracy is next to impossible so they're wasting their time. They're better off spending that time working on new features.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 am
I like how it's the "Homebrew" channel, yet there hasn't been a single decent game on it.  

Waynebrizzle

CherubiMaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:59 pm
I just updated my Wii today, works fine.

It's not modded in any way.

Just throwing that in there to help remove fear from some of the members who haven't modded.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:27 pm
Oh sweet, my Wii works now.

I decided to try Homebrew, it didn't even work right. I had it on my Wii for like 4 days, got the update, my Wii wouldn't read discs. I deleted it from my Channels, and now my Wii can read games.  

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:38 pm
4.2 works fine now, everyone.

And so does homebrew.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash