Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
Learning Japanese, the um... "interesting" way. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Learning with the DS
  Um, yay?
View Results

NeverMore42_6_6_6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:00 pm
Good grief... and I thought my house was strict about words... stupid *blankety blank* rules!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:42 pm
Rinioa

Actually, and I'm not trying to sound like a total b***h here...but it's actually against the rules to curse in those types of languages because Gaia's filter cannot filter them.

Rules about that....

[rinioa]

Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it.
(not mad at you ^.^ )

purpleravenhawk
'Fraid she's right. sweatdrop By the rules of gaia, it's better to curse (as long as you don't take it too far) in English so that the word filtering system can filter it. By the rules of purple, however, if you need to say something so vulgar, you probably need to expand your vocabulary, you discommodious jackanape. xd

Sorry, that's a bit strong. I was just trying to show an example. sweatdrop

Actually that's about what I said. (roughly)
But I'm ok, I'm not mad anymore.
Now I'm trying to come up with a solution.

NeverMoreRavin_6_6_6
Good grief... and I thought my house was strict about words... stupid *blankety blank* rules!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Not so much my house, as gaia in general.
But yeah, tis a major pain.

BTW, would any of the girls in this guild like to record their voice saying the words for me. (I'll help with pronunciation of course - and if you want - you can remain anonymous)
Japanese just sounds so much cuter when spoken by a girl ^.^
(you need a microphone and the knowledge of how to use the windows OS 1min voice recorder program - I can help with that 2nd one)
I'd do it myself to save on trouble, but I don't like the sound of my voice

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:36 pm
You said "discommodious jackanape" in binary? eek

Well, that's a strange opinion. Personally, I think Japanese sounds better spoken by a young man. xd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:45 pm
Not in exacly those words, but it has appox the same meaning.

(that's because you hate the typical anime girl voice)
I think the voice one prefers to hear is most often the opposite sex of yours.
(unless that person is not straight - LOL)

But I guess it depends on the person most of all.  

xwhateverxdudex

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:34 pm

xP! I'm glad you're not mad. 3nodding I just remembered reading that only a few months back when someone else brought it up. Don't want you ending up getting in trouble. whee But really, cursing is fine as long as Gaia's filtering ...filters it out for those who have their filter turned on. (Over use of "Filter" )

I'm terrible at speaking languages. I can read them, and most often write them but speaking is oh my hell. xD! ...I don't like the girls voice on the DS game though, she's...weird sounding to me. I can't really put my finger on it. I have the Chinese one too. I actually play that one a lot, Chinese is more interesting to me than Japanese. whee

[rinioa]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 am
Maybe cuz the voice in the game is sort of electronic-sounding. 3nodding  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:55 am
Well I'm not that good at picking up on small variations in tone, or the lack of any at all.

So it sounded human enough to me.
But I also think that the vocaloid videos that the company made (not the fan made ones) sound human too.

Purple says that there needs to be random vibrations in the notes to sound real. But I can't hear the difference well enough to change how I view it.
To me they both sound real. (I always say that any "electric-sounding" noise is because it's just a computerize play-back from a list of recorded words)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 pm
In my humble opinion the girls in my lover's anime always sound so very young and childish to me. My lover finds them highly amusing I find them rather annoying and to young for what they are meant to be I find the males are more accurate in their voice then the females. At least in the original Japanese version.

As for your earlier list...Where you had the word, the characters, and then it's translation...some of it though correct is incorrect too. What I mean by that is for example...

watashi - わたし
[I (formal)]

You indicated that it was the formal for I. However, you did not indicate for others whether they were formal or informal. For example arigatou or thank you is the informal or what one would call a "slang" version of the proper or formal thank you. However, this is just something I've noticed since I have to deal with such things from time to time in my line of work.  

I_Am_The_Calm_One

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 am
I can only type what the game gives me.

But enough about that.

You said "in your line of work"
What do you do that would require this?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:42 am
I'm always saying the same thing about anime voices. The girls always sound like chipmunks or something. xp I know that's a cultural thing, but I find it annoying too.  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:31 am
It seems to be how it goes.

Girls find what guys like, annoying.
Guys find what girls like, annoying.

There are just somethings that ARE gender specific.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 pm
I don't think this voice thing has anything to do with gender, tho. I know girls who think those high-pitched voices are cute. 3nodding  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:40 am
Really !?!

Well sence I don't know that many people, I have a tendency of basing all my standards and expectations on the ones I do know.

Because of this, I don't have many test subjects, (ahem) examples, to base my assumptions on.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:41 pm
I must agree with Miss. Purpleravenhawk. My lover has a few female friends that find the girls with the very young childish voice in his anime very cute. So I do not believe that this like or dislike of the voices is gender specific.

I understand and I apologize for my corrections then. Yes, in my line of work at times I must know the formal of such things, but when you host those of importance it is best if you treat them with the utmost respect. As for my line of work let us leave it at that, "my line of work." My apologies I wish not to name it since when I speak of it I garner very unfavorable looks or harsh words. I do not mind but it bothers my lover so I tend not to speak on the subject, also what I do is not the only reason for my response and to answer fully would require me to bring up a past I have buried and wish to remain that way.  

I_Am_The_Calm_One

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:14 am
Okey-dokey
Let the past lay buried then ^.^

I was just curious because it's a job that you would need to know the formal japanese words for. It interrested me, that's all.

But as for this whole voice thing...
Let's just say that with purple being the only girl I have day-ly contact with (her and our mom), I can't make a very good conclusion from it.  
Nothing's coming.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff