Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The best idea I've heard for Religion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MiniSiets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:28 am
Jester the Nightmare
The idea of your mind and believe dictating where you go when you die is one that I find to make the most sense if I still believed in any religion, so does it make sense to you? Would you prefer this over other ideas of afterlife?

No, it doesn't make sense to me, because everything I've observed about reality has given me no indication to believe such. The simple fact of the matter is everything we have ever learned about our consciousness and perception thus far has been directly attributed to material processes taking place in the brain. Once the brain ceases to function, as far as I'm concerned there is no reason to think that my consciousness will continue to magically sustain itself somehow. This isn't something I want or would like to believe, but that's what the evidence tells me right now.

Putting reality aside though, even from the perspective of personal desirability, I think this would be a terrible way to determine one's afterlife, as this would mean that skeptical atheists like myself would get screwed over just for trying to strive for truth and reason whereas credulous dimwits and religious fundamentalists would get rewarded because they chose to base their beliefs on faith and selfish emotional desires.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:50 pm
to disprove this theory:
what about the animals that dont know that their going to die?
they think theyre going to live forever, and we would notice if they were living forever  

dl1371

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:10 pm
dl1371
to disprove this theory:
they think theyre going to live forever, and we would notice if they were living forever
Any animal that's aware that it's alive probably understands death in some form.
Though even if it didn't, never thinking of the afterlife is not the same as believing that you'll live forever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:30 pm
brainnsoup
dl1371
to disprove this theory:
Any animal that's aware that it's alive probably understands death in some form.
Though even if it didn't, never thinking of the afterlife is not the same as believing that you'll live forever.

well wild animals know somewhat that their going to die
but what about domesticated animals who dont really have any other animal interaction
they think theyre going to live forever  

dl1371

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:31 pm
It's certainly an interesting and possibly fun way of looking at death, but it doesn't seem any more likely.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:11 pm
remember its a anime, for one, and two it explained that the souls of those who are not bound to anyone commune are free to roam the outer side of the communes, as one fo the characters masters did when he went searching for the boy. Plus, according to this theory no religious dimwit would go to paradise as paradise is only for those who have no guilt, subconsciously the older a person gets the more they want to get punished for their wrong doing as a way of clearing their conscious and believing that there is a difference between right and wrong.  

Jester the Nightmare

Athena_Ritashe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:39 pm
So basically where you go in the afterlife is where you believe you will go. Is that what you're saying? I think the most accurate answer to "what happens to consciousness after we die?" is you won't know till you die. I'm atheist when it comes to God and agnostic when it comes to the afterlife. If my consciousness gets blown out like a candle, then it's all good. If I reincarnate, then that's how it is. If I go to hell because God loves me so much then that proves that God exists and he's an a*****e.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:16 pm
That would be cool but of course that's not what I believe. I believe that there is nothingness for me when I die. If I could wish for something, I'd wish for there to be a nice place for everyone when they died. Some place like Earth, but I don't want to be reincarnated because I still love my friends and family biggrin I want to know them in my next life too!  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:22 pm
So I just had an idea.
Say you are a Christian and die and go to Christian Hell.
And you are enslaved by Satan for eternity.
But none of it is concrete and real, right?
It's created in our own minds from our own thoughts on the afterlife, right?
So Satan isn't real.
And you would spend an eternity enslaved by a construct that you imagined?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:03 pm
User Image

If my thought can control where I go after I die, I'd think that I stay on earth as a ghost.

But that's wishful thinking, of course. I don't believe in afterlife.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Caffeinated Tea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:04 pm
Valhalla for me, please. =w=  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items