Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Sailormoon... why the heck do people call it childish, when Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MikatoSakato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:01 pm
Tetki
MikatoSakato
Tetki
MikatoSakato
Tetki

yes thats what I was saying Undubbed is better ^^ but the dubbed is still ok to watch if its all you have wink

Yes I agree. But sadly I cant watch either. I have no way of getting ahold of them. crying

have you tried getting them offline? like downloading them from bittorrent.com? ^^; or buying off ebay?

I dont trust ebay. And my dad doenst allow me to Download. crying

damn that sucks sad

Yeah. Not to mention they dont even have it at any of the Movie rent places. Its soo sad.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:07 pm
MikatoSakato
Tetki
MikatoSakato
Tetki
MikatoSakato
Tetki

yes thats what I was saying Undubbed is better ^^ but the dubbed is still ok to watch if its all you have wink

Yes I agree. But sadly I cant watch either. I have no way of getting ahold of them. crying

have you tried getting them offline? like downloading them from bittorrent.com? ^^; or buying off ebay?

damn that sucks sad

Yeah. Not to mention they dont even have it at any of the Movie rent places. Its soo sad.

yeah that adds to the woe =( is there any other online shopping you trust like amazon.com? or Half.com? or any thing like that? =o  

Tetki

Shirtless Smoker

MikatoSakato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:12 pm
Tetki
MikatoSakato
Tetki
MikatoSakato
Tetki

damn that sucks sad

yeah that adds to the woe =( is there any other online shopping you trust like amazon.com? or Half.com? or any thing like that? =o

I dont trust it if I cant check the merchandise........ I get really picky on the kind of condition my movies, and mangas are in. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:28 pm
Its the dub.  

Likely Forgotten

Timid Tipper

MikatoSakato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:31 pm
ketchup22
Its the dub.

Yup  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:51 pm
No, it's not childish. Though the dubbed makes it seem that way. >,o

Usaki

xXpixie_dXx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:12 pm
okay first of all they have aired seasons 1-4 in america and never once did i think it childish. now if they showed season 5 no one would ever call it childish again i mean c'mon they probably didn't air season because doing so would cause ratings to drop because there were basically transvestite sailor scouts and at the time that wasnt exactly accepted and kindof MATURE. The basic plots wern't childish but when comedy was involved in an episode it was kindof childish. But for some reason now they compare the show to winx and i want to strangle them because they're nothing alike.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:25 pm
Ok, guys, even in Japan Sailor Moon was aimed at children. It's OK for older people to like it, but that was the target audience.  

Zahmira

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:37 pm
Actually, Sailormoon is really suppose to be for young to older teens. *hence they have a bit of dirty humor in it.*

After all, in Promise of the Rose, Ami says something like, "Well Mamoru-san seems popular with young boys..."

and Makoto says: "Ami-chan you pervert!"

^ that is from the undubbed version of it. after all, Jap culture and ours are widely different from values to what we like to watch.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:19 pm
I would say that opinion comes mainly from people speaking from ignorance on cartoons in general. It is a stereotype that doesn't just affect sailor moon but all animation. Sailor Moon may be a show targeted at a youthful audience, but I think some of the messages and situations in the series are about issues we face all throughout our lives. We forget that often our "children's" cartoons are our first exposure to morality and many social issues. However, unlike shows that we might leave behind in our childhood Sailor Moon is one that we can reflect on even in adulthood. In a lot of ways I would liken Usagi to be very similar to the stories about Jesus or The Buddha. Even though she may be a clumsy teenager one can see the true goodness within her and it can be a sort of guiding light for us all especially in our adult years where sometimes kindness, compasion, and midnfullness are often pushed aside. It may be a Naive world of cartoons, but it is an ideal one that even as adults we can escape to from time to time, and remember to try to bring what we can of that world to this one.

Saikor moon may also be seen as a kids show many of the male members of society as a way to try to lessen some of their embarassment over liking a "girls" oriented show. It is true that sailor moion crossed a boundary that made it enjoyed by both guys and girls. Some Macho guys may regard it as childish because when they were children it was ok for them to like it, and they do like the show.

I aqdmire Usagi and always have. I wish to be more like her, and even though she is a fictional character I don't feel that is a bad or childish goal.  

tererun

SteelPatrickHarris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:10 pm
Hotaru230
insane_swordbunny4486
Is killing yourself because your lover died a childish thing? I think not....

i dont think this ever happened in sailormoon nor do i think usagi would do this

keep in mind that this is a magical girls series and they all are viewed as childish by most of the anime community our there.

and basically the DIC dub really screwed sailormoon over in the US

i think this is in refrence to Haruka and Michiru.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:31 pm
Sailormoon was intended for a young female audience, and in my opinion, that is reflected in all forms (anime, manga, seramyu, live action) of the series that I have seen. It's about teenage girls who use objects that resemble cosmetics and girls' accessories to transform into a sailor-suited superheroine with magical powers. Magical powers, might I add, with names such as "Starlight Honeymoon Therapy" and "Pink Sugar Heart Attack". Not exactly the epitome of seriousness or maturity. ^^; It is true that are some things in it that one might not expect from a young girls' series. For example, there are some implications of sexuality and homosexuality (among other things). However, overall, it is basically a series intended for kids. Of course, that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it, as well.

Nerina Lyon

Fashionable Millionaire

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Nerina Lyon

Fashionable Millionaire

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:44 pm
Lillico
Hotaru230
insane_swordbunny4486

i dont think this ever happened in sailormoon nor do i think usagi would do this

keep in mind that this is a magical girls series and they all are viewed as childish by most of the anime community our there.

Hmm... I thought it was in reference to Serenity-hime committing suicide after witnessing the death of Endymion.

Neither Haruka nor Michiru ever commit suicide for that reason. In the anime, Haruka does kill herself, but only in order to release her own talisman.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:33 am
Luamervara
Actually, Sailormoon is really suppose to be for young to older teens. *hence they have a bit of dirty humor in it.*

After all, in Promise of the Rose, Ami says something like, "Well Mamoru-san seems popular with young boys..."

and Makoto says: "Ami-chan you pervert!"

^ that is from the undubbed version of it. after all, Jap culture and ours are widely different from values to what we like to watch.

It's intended for grade school girls. You are correct when you say Japanese and US values differ. This is why the kind of content you suggested can be seen in Japanese kid's shows. 90% of all SM products are dolls, toys, costumes designed for little kids, and other things aimed at young girls. Commercials aired during SM in Japan were for toys and kids snack foods. Stage shows designed for SM attract swarms of little kids. Books released from the series are those big hardcover picture books that little kids like. If you tell people in Japan you love SM, they laugh and say it's a kid show, or say "I watched that when I was little!"

Sailor Moon is a kid's product and fans should embrace that rather than try to pretend it's something different.  

Toast_Lady

Toast_Lady

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:34 am
Kaiou Michiru
Lillico
Hotaru230
insane_swordbunny4486

Hmm... I thought it was in reference to Serenity-hime committing suicide after witnessing the death of Endymion.

Neither Haruka nor Michiru ever commit suicide for that reason. In the anime, Haruka does kill herself, but only in order to release her own talisman.

I think she is referring to the manga, where Princess Serenity kills herself because Endymion dies.  
Home

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff