Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Does it bother you Atheists... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:17 pm
It doesn't really bother me that much... but they always say it as if it's impossible to be a theist and believe in the evolution theory.
I think it's because logical, rational and more educated people tend to well... be more educated and believe in the theories since they're backed by facts and mountains of evidence. Many logical and rational people tend to become atheists. I don't think so much that "atheism" causes the belief in the theories, but I think most atheists have to reason a great amount (for the most part since they are originally brainwashed theists who have to go against every thing they used to believe); so I think all these rational and logic debates going on in your head build your character and make you take a more rational outlook on life. This rationality tends to lead to the belief in theories that are completely backed up by the very logic and reason you believe in.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:13 pm
D i v i n i t y
It doesn't really bother me that much... but they always say it as if it's impossible to be a theist and believe in the evolution theory.
I think it's because logical, rational and more educated people tend to well... be more educated and believe in the theories since they're backed by facts and mountains of evidence. Many logical and rational people tend to become atheists. I don't think so much that "atheism" causes the belief in the theories, but I think most atheists have to reason a great amount (for the most part since they are originally brainwashed theists who have to go against every thing they used to believe); so I think all these rational and logic debates going on in your head build your character and make you take a more rational outlook on life. This rationality tends to lead to the belief in theories that are completely backed up by the very logic and reason you believe in.
There is something that striked me in your post. Do you really think "logic" and our "rationality" can seriously back up anything? Aren't those leading us to more and more questions? After all they are in our heads only. Besides I still don't know why is it more "rational" to believe in science. I don't believe in anything enough to understand this.  

Raticiel

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:51 am
User ImageI think it's kind of sad that people use the phrase, "believe in science" as if the scientific process is disputable. People tend to say that atheists almost "worship" science, which I am bothered by. I look at science as our most accurate way to determine information about how the world works, but I certainly don't view it as a replacement for any deities. In certain situations, deities are definitely used as a replacement for science, but I don't think the reverse works. User Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:09 am
Daffodil the Destroyer
User ImageI think it's kind of sad that people use the phrase, "believe in science" as if the scientific process is disputable. People tend to say that atheists almost "worship" science, which I am bothered by. I look at science as our most accurate way to determine information about how the world works, but I certainly don't view it as a replacement for any deities. In certain situations, deities are definitely used as a replacement for science, but I don't think the reverse works. User Image
Perhaps saying "believe in science" is not completely accurate. Maybe it's more like the "scientific method" but well... Generally it means the same. I think it can work as a replacement for religion and believing in god, as it gives you a source of certainity, a base, something to rely on. If science won't prove something, people who believe in it (science) will doubt it as well.  

Raticiel

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:48 pm
As it's been said, yes, atheism is materialistic in itself but we all know scientists can mess up at times and we are fallible humans beings. I'd rather side with science for the sake that it's honest and progressive.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:25 pm
User Image

It doesn't bother me at all.

I think that sentiment came because 90+% of scientists in scientific associations (at least the ones in America) are atheists.
And also because since atheists have no supernatural explanation for the way nature/the world is, they tend to go find out through some other way, sometimes through science.

Of course, I'm not saying every atheist is. Some might just not try to find out at all.

And all those religious people who think science is a heretic belief (it's not even a belief, damn it)/thing, they can all raise their hand, and I'll point to them, "hah yeah, you, hypocrite, you, hypocrite, you, hypocrite." because if they really think science is such a bad thing, they should live without it. So no more cell phone, no more texting, no more internet, no more cars, no more TV, heck, no more microphones for promoting god because that's all products of science. No more buying food from the market because you're supposed to get your own food without the help of fishing gears/meat packing industry equipments, transportation trucks, refrigerator. All of them are invented by scientists. So get rid of them and try to live your life like your christ told you to. HAH.

Plus, science doesn't have the absolute answer to everything, so sometimes even atheists don't exactly RELY on it.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Raticiel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:14 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image

It doesn't bother me at all.

I think that sentiment came because 90+% of scientists in scientific associations (at least the ones in America) are atheists.
And also because since atheists have no supernatural explanation for the way nature/the world is, they tend to go find out through some other way, sometimes through science.

Of course, I'm not saying every atheist is. Some might just not try to find out at all.

And all those religious people who think science is a heretic belief (it's not even a belief, damn it)/thing, they can all raise their hand, and I'll point to them, "hah yeah, you, hypocrite, you, hypocrite, you, hypocrite." because if they really think science is such a bad thing, they should live without it. So no more cell phone, no more texting, no more internet, no more cars, no more TV, heck, no more microphones for promoting god because that's all products of science. No more buying food from the market because you're supposed to get your own food without the help of fishing gears/meat packing industry equipments, transportation trucks, refrigerator. All of them are invented by scientists. So get rid of them and try to live your life like your christ told you to. HAH.

Plus, science doesn't have the absolute answer to everything, so sometimes even atheists don't exactly RELY on it.

User Image
Well, to me (a skeptic, sometimes quite radical) every single morning I wake up and decide to get up, go eat something, interact with environment, it's all an act of faith - a strong (enough to make me act) belief that this world even exists. So why should science be something different? I never saw laws of physics in themselves, I never saw electricity in itself, I never saw God, I may take these all "things" (?) as beliefs.
Perhaps many scientists don't "rely" on science but there are many people in this world that rely on it. Like, for example atheists, who use science as an argument in the war against religion (is there actually anything else atheism can rely on that will be strong enough?). Like those who believe we can answer all questions using scientific method. Like those who use those cell phones and computers. It's the base for them, something quite certain and believable, trusted, just like god used to be/still is sometimes.
And getting "my own food" is fun wink a good lesson of life that many people might need. Especially some fat priests xp  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:13 pm
User Image
Raticiel
Well, to me (a skeptic, sometimes quite radical) every single morning I wake up and decide to get up, go eat something, interact with environment, it's all an act of faith - a strong (enough to make me act) belief that this world even exists. So why should science be something different? I never saw laws of physics in themselves, I never saw electricity in itself, I never saw God, I may take these all "things" (?) as beliefs.
Perhaps many scientists don't "rely" on science but there are many people in this world that rely on it. Like, for example atheists, who use science as an argument in the war against religion (is there actually anything else atheism can rely on that will be strong enough?). Like those who believe we can answer all questions using scientific method. Like those who use those cell phones and computers. It's the base for them, something quite certain and believable, trusted, just like god used to be/still is sometimes.
And getting "my own food" is fun wink a good lesson of life that many people might need. Especially some fat priests xp

Erm.... I don't really get your point. But I just have one thing to ask...

you've never seen a law of physics in itself? So you float around in the air like astronauts on a space station (no gravity)?

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Raticiel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:47 am
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image
Raticiel

Erm.... I don't really get your point. But I just have one thing to ask...

you've never seen a law of physics in itself? So you float around in the air like astronauts on a space station (no gravity)?

User Image
Laws of physics in themleves . The idea of god is very similar to the idea of laws of physics: we can't imagine how the world would look like without those. I wouldn't just flow in the air, all things would look different. Would they even "look like something", would there be something like "thing"? We can't imagine that. Same goes with god. I can't say this world was created by god just by perceiving it, or at least it brings more questions than answers.
I don't really know what's hard to understand in my post from before. If you don't understand something maybe it's not written properly.
I think it's pretty clear: humanity needs something to rely on - we are that way and that's why we're trying to show we're something else than the rest of animals. Well, perhaps we are. Animals don't have science, philosophy, religions. (or at least they're wise enough to not show that off wink )
It's not only that we want to look like different, we want to *be* different. We want to be immortal - that's why we make up ideas of afterlife, we create art, we trust and improve medicine, etc.
Anything else? 3nodding  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces