Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
WHY CANT PEOPLE UNDERSTAND US!!!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Imperfect_Elegance

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:23 am
*sigh* I just wonder why they think we hate god just because we dnt believe or involve god in our daily lives doesn't mean anything  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 am
The Vanilla Bean
On the internet here is a conversation I've had with someone.
(Person asking what religion everyone is.)
"Christian!"
"chistaain"
"omg me 2"
"(me) ATHEIST"
"o.o"
"anti-chist"
"DEVIL WORSHIPPER"
"SATANIST1!1e!#@r"
lol.

Wow, those 'loving' Christians are dumb, by Atheist it means you don't believe in any deities, no 'god' or 'devil' and you certainly don't worship them. I wonder what they would have said to a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddist, Pagan or Agnostic.....  

OtakuJeannie

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200

Edible Jennann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:38 pm
Mizz_Sexy_Bunny66
*sigh* I just wonder why they think we hate god just because we dnt believe or involve god in our daily lives doesn't mean anything

Though I have found very few in my personal experience, I have to say that there ARE sane people out there who have their own belief systems but realize we have a right to NOT believe the same way that they have the right TO believe in some sort of higher power... Live and let live, to each his own, etc.

To the other extreme, there are those bred into, or currently being fed, the evangelical mindset, without even realizing that's what it is... They are compelled to spread their beliefs and regard atheists, and belief systems contrary to their own, as a challenge and a threat.

That feeling of belonging, that "group think" mentality, is very powerful... Many people are quite willing to trade their individuality, their autonomy, for that warm fuzzy sense of belonging... "I'm okay here. I'm accepted. These people love me." - It can be annoying but fairly harmless or, at its most dangerous level, can be responsible for wars, witch trials, etc... in non-religious terms, look at riots and lynch mobs.

I can be a little hot-headed and combative at times, which is not the best trait when trying to deal with the evangelical mindset... so I constantly have to remind myself the reasons why I AM an atheist... Particularly, logic and rational thinking. This is not another religion. It's a choice to use reason and acknowledge that I am capable of leading a good life based on ethics and moral principles that do NOT stem from the fear of some invisible, all powerful being.

Some people will never get it. And that's okay. They don't have to, as long as we do.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff