Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
...Some help, please, anybody. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:22 am
Yeah, I probably should have said this in my original reply... I agree with the people saying that things will probably go better if she can leave the dogma behind but practice privately.

I actually have a couple of friends where the guy is hardcore atheist and his wife is Christian. Basically, they've agreed to disagree, not talk about it, and he agrees to come to church services with her for holidays and let her raise any children they have as Christians. It works for them, though I'm sure they struggled with the issue for some time before they came to this arrangement.

Also, I guess I can agree with the others who have said to nurture your love for each other and then talk about it... But like I said before, you seem to feel strongly about it, and I would be afraid that that feeling would build up until you break. And then it would seem like you're blindsiding her with it or like you've been keeping some terrible secret all that time. So, sure, maybe give it a little bit of time, but bring it up before it really comes to a head from your emotional point of view.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:43 pm
...I want to say "Just go for it, you love her", but I know where you're coming from as well. It's hard to foster a relationship with someone who represents something you oppose. Don't just shift the blame to making HER make a choice, as other people here have said, do some soul-searching and evaluate whether you love her enough to put up with her lifestyle.  

Alloflifedecays

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces