Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply U/C
A Beginner's RP (OOC) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm
schedules for what? The opening paragraph says it all, I think. As part of the rp, the characters will be picking out their own classes and schedules as the rp develops. If you don't mind rp'ing by your lonesome, you can pick whatever classes that might help you become a better rp'er in a certain area. Otherwise, I suggest you just join up with the other characters and do their classes.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm
(Aw, but that's only 1 guy out of 5. There's always reason to cheer. :])

We're doing a Survival training class with the characters right now. We haven't exactly named the room number, so you can just show up, read the posts before hand, and get into the conversation when you're ready. I suggest posting soon before we start so that you don't have to work especially hard to get into the group!

EDIT: Novama, once Shadow Girl joins, I think we'll be about ready to start. Anyone after her can just join us in the class, and we'll incorporate them in.  

Mikilala1the1third

3,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:10 am
I'll start up the class as soon as someone gets there....I have a few posts to read, so things might start as soon as I finish reading lol. I update the first post to show what the characters are doing or should be doing too.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 pm
I have a question for you guys. Some of you are new and others not so much, so I feel the responses should be fairly unbiased supposing you reply at all sweatdrop

What do you think about the rpfla guild? It has a number of rp's and members, but is that all that matters to you in a guild?

Do the sub-forums seem a little cluttered and/or confusing? Does that matter to you?

Do the moderators appear to be doing their job and playing an active force in the guild? Does that matter to you?

Would you rather be in a large guild with many rp's and members with inactive and poor quality moderators, or would you prefer a smaller guild with few rp's and rp'ers but high quality moderators who do their jobs and do things for and with the members? Does it not matter as long as you have a place to rp?  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

Mikilala1the1third

3,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:33 pm
Novama, that intro was amazing!! Hahahaha!

1. I love it because there are so many RPs to be in, and there is a HUGE variety. What matters most to me are active, good RPers, a variety of interesting and well-developed role plays, and some sort of structure to it all.

2. I think that the subforums have some needless separations (like RP for Creatures, Supernaturals, Mythology is separated from Elementals, Magic, and Fantasy; or how RP for Martial Arts, Fighting, Tournament Battle, Duels is separated from its counterpart, RP for Action Packed / War, Spy, Hero), but I do appreciate that some genres are separate. Normally, I'm not so into the hang-out RPs or the romances, so I like having the die-hard hang-out RPers and romancers go to another subforum.

3. Most of them, yes. I think that some have an attitude problem and get upset if somebody sneezes, but they are trying to do their jobs and, for the most part, they are succeeding. Other than that, I don't care much about what the mods do. I just come in to role play.

4. Tough. The ideal is a large guild with quality moderators, but the people and the RPs are the biggest deals for me. I want many, quality RPs to choose from with good people (or people who want to learn), and then I'm happy.

Hope that answered your questions, Novama!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 pm
I suspected that would be the case lol. I know when I first came to gaia, all I cared about was rp'ing and being left alone by the mods. Now, after knowing more, I have come to appreciate quality in the place I rp. I'm personally unsatisfied with the way things are. Leaving the guild is a definite option, but it wouldn't change anything....It's a tricky situation when our officials don't run for office and risk being voted out lol.  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

Mikilala1the1third

3,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:56 pm
Lol. I know there's been craziness surrounding you lately; some of it appears to be a bunch of hotheads running around who just really don't like you. I read something in announcement that you were doing all these bad things--but to back themselves up...the guys quoted all these messages that really weren't bad.

Haha...I try to not believe just one side of the story. It's pretty biased that way. What really happened, anyway?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:22 pm
It's old news, so it doesn't really matter now, but what you probably saw was the work of a vengeful ex-moderator. I demoted him for a number of reasons and after several warnings and was supported by the other moderators at the time in my decision. He was angry at being demoted and felt that I was abusing my power. The guild captain, unaware of why the ex-moderator was demoted, promoted him back to crew status. With crew status, he went around telling people about his horrible version of novama and the terrible injustices he's done. The members believed him and helped him out because he was crew. Many of them told lies to further his cause and give him quotes to show people. Others just said they hoped he was given justice. These quotes among other things are probably what you have seen.

However, when questioned by other moderators who supported me and opposed this ex-moderator, many of the members took back what they said, said they felt pressured by the guy to say what they said, or didn't really care either way and just liked the drama....  

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

SaraDiva728

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:53 pm
What do you think about the rpfla guild? It has a number of rp's and members, but is that all that matters to you in a guild?

A1: I love the guild. Though this is my first RP, I like the variety and structure that I've seen here in the guild. RPers are allowed freedom to do as they please, so long as they follow rules and set rules that shoud also be followed. The atmosphere is nice too (though, you might want to check on what's going on in the Romance classroom, some feelings may have been hurt). And I love that the moderators are taking so much concern and consideration into their jobs. They take their posts seriously, therefore they can be taken seriously, and that equals a reassuring security in my book. There are also a lot of other people here, making the guild very active and assuring me that if I contact someone, most likely they will respond in turn. And that matters to me.

Do the sub-forums seem a little cluttered and/or confusing? Does that matter to you?

A2: Well, I did lose one RP I was interested in, my first one. But it was my fault. I didn't remember the name and hadn't written it anywhere. Good thing I wasn't accepted (I had prepared my skeleton incorrectly). I've learned a valuable lesson, and haven't had it happen again. So everything is fine in that department, IMO.

Do the moderators appear to be doing their job and playing an active force in the guild? Does that matter to you?

A3: Yes, and a most definite YES! I consider myself an independent person, but I rely heavily upon the appearance of strong and capable authority figures that will handle problems if I need help or will make sure I don't get myself into trouble. Especially when I'm starting out at something. Once I get the ropes, I can handle myself for the most part. I think, though, that this is important to me (even then) because I don't like having to deal with people who want to impede upon rights, and I don't like impeding on the rights of other's unintentionally (sometimes I do on purpose, but only so if I know where the limits are). It saves a lot of trouble if everyone can interact without issue.

Would you rather be in a large guild with many rp's and members with inactive and poor quality moderators, or would you prefer a smaller guild with few rp's and rp'ers but high quality moderators who do their jobs and do things for and with the members? Does it not matter as long as you have a place to rp?

A4: I always prefer small crowds over large (I'd rather eat in my uncomfortably hot car with a broken air conditioner than eat in a crowded cafeteria). That has just been my way. But online crowds aren't really a deal-or-die issue because no one is invading my personal space--though they may slow up my computer. But, like I've suggested before, moderators that are doing their job and doing it well is VERY important to me. There are many places to RP. A huge number. So finding a place to RP will never be a problem. But finding a place to go that feels comfortable to me? That is priceless. And good moderators, friendly atmosphere and active, interesting posts are all that I need to like a place.

@ Novama: Hope that answers your questions! I tried to take my answers very seriously and give reasons for my opinions, but I hope I didn't write too much. Also, I think it is very sad that many people don't like you. I don't know you so well, but you really stand out to me and I like that. You are strict with your principals and to the point with your comments and answers, which makes you very respectable and proves your dependability. You're like the police officer, keeping an eye on the party guests so things stay peaceable and don't get too rowdy. Please don't change. You are a shining example of what moderators should be. To me anyway. One more thing, the way you started the class in the RP was awesome! I had a nice piece I had written to follow it, but it was so long that by the time I was finished typing it, Angelique had beat me to the door and I had to type up something new. crying

@ Mikilala: I'm so flattered that you were excited to RP with me! xd I've been writing a lot over the years and that is why my sentences are as good as they are. I start a lot of projects, but never finish them. It's sad because I have so many ideas too! My character Aydrien is derived from a character I wanted to write about, but never started on. I changed his background a lot (and am still fixing it), but I already have a pretty detailed story behind him. It's in my head, though, but it sounds good and can introduce conflict into our RP if we ever need any. I'm taking your advice and trying to think of ways to make him interesting. And there is nothing more interesting than mystery (I wish I had read your bit about profile making before I RPed, then I might have left an interesting cliffhanger type sentence in mine too [or was that you? I read most of the classes listed confused ]).

*Phew, I think this is long enough now! 3nodding *  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:12 pm
Aw, man! I said all of that stuff and didn't ask the question I wanted to ask. Okay, in the RP, we have at least three points of conflict already on the table: various monsters, kleptosynths, and Seth's team. I even have an idea for conflict if it comes to that. So eventually, we are bound to get into a scuffle of some sort. But I don't know what rating of gore is considered PG-13. I believe that in the horror forum, the gore factor doesn't matter (it IS the horror forum after all). I've never written anything like that, but I don't want to wait until the moment to fight comes to ask about what I'm allowed to do. Will it matter in our RP? And how much will be too much?  

SaraDiva728

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Gore that violates the pg-13 rule is hard to achieve. After reading posts by site moderators, I believe gore of that level requires very descriptive detail of every blood splatter, intestine removal, brain running, and spleen on the floor. I'd imagine it to be something that would make the typical person dry heave after reading. I doubt anyone will get that intense lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:01 am
Okay, that is good. I know I won't (and can't possibly) cause any problems there then. Thank you.  

SaraDiva728

Mikilala1the1third

3,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:45 pm
Thanks, Sara! I was excited to write that lesson, so I'm glad some people got some use of it. 3nodding

And Novama's right. Fighting doesn't have many restrictions beyond the god-modding rules that you can't auto-hit. It makes RP fighting a whole different medium than regular stories, but it's interesting when you have RPers that don't mind letting someone beat their character. (Others, well... They consider losing to another person a personal threat to their life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, and they respond accordingly. neutral )

You might say something like, "Billy ducked the flying rock and gaped at the hole it made in the tree. He staggered to his feet and ran, arming himself with a few nice, round rocks, and aimed them at his attackers to stave them off long enough to find a better weapon." That way, you've reacted, acted, and even given the other player a taste of what you're trying to do. The latter isn't required, but sometimes it'll give you enough relief from an attack to do something cool with your character. :]  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:18 pm
Yea, I just have a couple of questions. I personally didnt think making a small cave in the center of the island where i assumed that that point was the highest and making a run off was being too powerful. The idea of transmutation is taking a basic substance and transforming it. Now if i made like a hotel that would be understandable of going over board. And I didnt make a huge cave just enough to fit in a small group of people that was hidden not sticking out of the ground but more inlaid? Matching the sand...which I know I didnt put that. sweatdrop However, I wanted to put the use of my characters age and abilities to use. Im sorry if I sound offensive to anyone or if im being too defensive about this, but this why I am here to learn about this.  

divinity of pride

Newbie Vampire

5,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:20 pm
I don't see a problem. What are you being defensive for? Is someone accusing you of something? lol. The only thing I suggest for the future is more description. If you wanted your cave in the middle of the island in the supposedly highest spot, then you need to make sure you specify that. Anything you do not specify or describe is left up to other people to describe for you, and their interpretation might be different. World descriptions are a first come first served basis in rp. The only exception to this is if the author feels the current description of something should be different for the sake of the rp. 3nodding  
U/C

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff