Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
I am bitching and I know it (stay out if it bothers you) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:19 pm
now, i'm gonna be honest here. having dealt with things like this before in other guilds, it gets so tempting sometimes to just fight back, on the grounds that i don't take s**t from people who wanna bully everyone into believing the completely and taking their word as ******** holy scripture. but i know better than to do that. it is always better to see them make a bigger fool of themselves by letting them have the last word.

now, i see it this way. i go to a number of debate guilds, and religious/spiritual/philosophical guilds. as Mitch said, disagreements are inevitable. and not every disagreement is going to be a cordial agree-to-disagree one, even if one of you wants it to be. it takes 2 to make that work after all.

this is why i like to have my own little place sepperate from that where i can discuss the same topics again, but with a friendlier, pre-screaned crowd. only those who i or my crew allow in. my guild isn't terribly exclusive, it just has a strict policy of etiquette. everyone is expected to play nicely. that way, i can have a chill place to just feel part of a family, and everyone gets along even where we disagree, while still having the freedom to openly discuss topics in a more dangerous, unfiltered environment, a sort of "wilderness" for debate, if you will.

i truely hate the haters. the folks who always have to be right, who say that nobody else has any credibility, the elitists. but i don't pretend that i can just make them go away. and if i could, why should i? that would get rid of the whole point of debating in unfiltered settings. it's not that i think they contribute anything. it's just that i recognize that they wn't agree with me, and not everyone will. some people are just haters. ignore them.

that said, i am very glad that you brought this up Erin, i sympathize, and feel glad that it can be said. to all those Haters and Elitists, a big round of "******** You!" xd  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:07 pm
I know this is a dead thread but just reading over it makes me glad i missed that guild and came here. It kind of makes me want to go post swastika, rebel flag, black panther sign rainbows all over their forums under mules i don't care about and sign every post heil hitler while giving reliant information aht makes her look stupid. if she talked crap to me i'd probably just call her a jew. >___> I'm probably the least racist person you'll ever meet but you're right, you can't tell race over the internet. It's usually only a problem with the person who keeps bringing it up. If she gives me crap i'll say you've offened allah and jesus and made the goddess cry tears of purple flower rain. deep down inside i like messing with uptight people but i know it's not a good trait so i avoid exercising it as much as possible.

So far you guys have been great! Just so you know!

--- No i'm not going to post on every thread because i'm bored.

love,
Tori  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:33 pm
VixenxVittoria
I know this is a dead thread but just reading over it makes me glad i missed that guild and came here. It kind of makes me want to go post swastika, rebel flag, black panther sign rainbows all over their forums under mules i don't care about and sign every post heil hitler while giving reliant information aht makes her look stupid. if she talked crap to me i'd probably just call her a jew. >___> I'm probably the least racist person you'll ever meet but you're right, you can't tell race over the internet. It's usually only a problem with the person who keeps bringing it up. If she gives me crap i'll say you've offened allah and jesus and made the goddess cry tears of purple flower rain. deep down inside i like messing with uptight people but i know it's not a good trait so i avoid exercising it as much as possible.

So far you guys have been great! Just so you know!

--- No i'm not going to post on every thread because i'm bored.

love,
Tori

xd yer awesome.

by the way, don't think i'm a racist, please, but... i do in fact love Autumn Swastikas, and the Confederate Flag. smile i'm a Floridian, i love the South, and i am not afraid to say that i would have Proudly served in the Confederate Army back in the Civil War. when was it again? was it 1812, or 1825?

anywho, i do wanna say that Rebel Flags are not a sign of racism or white supremacy, despite being used as such by racists. and also, the Swastika has beautiful meaning behind it's Symbolism, across so many different Cultures.

but i totally get yer point, and support it in Spirit, if not in action. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:37 pm
LOL well I'm from South Carolina. The NAACP has SC on their hit list every 5 minutes I'm sure.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:00 pm
VixenxVittoria
LOL well I'm from South Carolina. The NAACP has SC on their hit list every 5 minutes I'm sure.

xd

least it ain't Alabama. they'd give up there i'm sure.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:34 am
erinnightwalker
And the sad thing is that they do have some good threads and good ideas.
This pickled vegetable...

Copy-past the OPs of the good threads into your other guilds (so long as they're relevant) and just switch to lurking in your old guild. If a new topic comes up with interesting ideas but you're afraid of the old regs messing it up then just copy-past it somewhere else (but be sure to mention that it's not your own) and continue the conversation with a more receptive audience.

... could kick your a** !!

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 pm
Renkon Root
erinnightwalker
And the sad thing is that they do have some good threads and good ideas.
This pickled vegetable...

Copy-past the OPs of the good threads into your other guilds (so long as they're relevant) and just switch to lurking in your old guild. If a new topic comes up with interesting ideas but you're afraid of the old regs messing it up then just copy-past it somewhere else (but be sure to mention that it's not your own) and continue the conversation with a more receptive audience.

... could kick your a** !!

I mostly lurk now anyway. I see no reason to get all worked up over nothing, or so I tell myself >.>  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:57 am
The internet is the home for jackassery, cause everyone can hide behind their false names and troll with this idea of safety.

Guilds Moderators need to be warning, kick and banning these people. And if the Moderators are the ones at fault...well.. i would suggesting finding a new guild or praying that your guild leader is something of a miracle worker.

"i truely hate the haters. the folks who always have to be right, who say that nobody else has any credibility, the elitists. but i don't pretend that i can just make them go away. and if i could, why should i? that would get rid of the whole point of debating in unfiltered settings. it's not that i think they contribute anything. it's just that i recognize that they wn't agree with me, and not everyone will. some people are just haters. ignore them.

that said, i am very glad that you brought this up Erin, i sympathize, and feel glad that it can be said. to all those Haters and Elitists, a big round of "******** You!"" <--- Well said lol

Ongoing, i myself take a lot of time trying to construct guilds that hav home to though argumentative ( in a good way) open minded and well thought out peoples. Frankly i have kept it mainly to rp, but now i am seeing that a desire for different type of talk is desired...i should get to work on making another guild.

Well Later!  

Justus D Spencer

Dangerous Capitalist

4,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:51 pm
Ah, the PFRC! I had a few of them come into a guild where I moderate. Just ask them to back up their claims, call them on their asshattery, and they'll eventually get bored and leave.

In general, I consider them ironically fluffy. They go around causing trouble and then scream persecution when people challenge them in kind. There are a few who I feel have their hearts in the right place, but don't understand how to approach people with that information. Such is the internet, I suppose...

Now, what irks me are the people who twist my words and then use it to say "as if a god would speak to you". What or Who gave them such authority to say that, and have to convolute my words to do it, is not conducive and is simply a display of perceived power.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:05 pm
You know, for a while I enjoyed the Neopagan community, even though I never claimed to be pagan. Looking back, I can discern that there was a very solid reason why I was welcome:

In the Neopagan community, there is only one wrong religious answer - that my path is great, and *yours* is invalid.

Don't get me wrong, there are paths following different cultures' directions, and among each of those, some options are more fact-based than others... but that doesn't make anyone's path invalid.

Some groups just don't get that, and feel the need to "fix the world of paganism" of all absurdities. Others cling to the notion of "no wrong answers" so hard that they fail to recognize the distinction between "this is more based in archaeological data than Wicca" and "your beliefs are invalid".

Either collection - the "believe as I say or you're wrong" crowd, or the "don't you dare raise factual observations about anyone's beliefs" crowd - they're paganism's Jerry Falwells and Pat Robertsons. We may even have a few of Paganism's Fred Phelps in there.

I handle it by pointing and laughing. If they get too uppity and persistent, I like beating them at their own game.

Have you noticed that the most vehement of the PFRC's "paganism enforcers" aren't even pagan? I find that hilarious, but when I go head to head with them, the only reason I'm not precisely the same sort of hypocrite is the Chaos Magician tendency to use belief structures as tools (even taking them on precisely for debates :p )  

PrometheanSet

Myrikle

6,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:22 pm
Totally, I think the worst episodes like this is when your talking in HYPOTHETICALS and someone throws a bitchfit over it. Like one time I was talking about the Asimovian laws of robotics and how humans might have an equivalent and I totally got fried. Well, I didn't explicitly say it was hypothetical, so I may have invited it a bit. twisted I'm not exactly sure whats the criteria for justifiable outrage, but I'm pretty sure purely academic disscusions about something fictional doesn't fit the bill. Other times people are just over sensitive.

Replier; "idk, what about in the movie i robot?"
Me; "Hey, thats off topic. This thread is not about abortion." mrgreen
That let loose a can of worms lemme tellya. What is the criteria for outrage in discussion anyhow?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:34 pm
Chieftain Twilight
VixenxVittoria

xd

I'm from Texas, I probably would have joined the Confederates just to avoid being strapped to a train. ninja We were planning on taking over after we won the war anyhow. mrgreen

Anyhow, we were so used to "new managment" that we joined for the sake of fun. it ran something like this;

Spain: We're runnin things.
Texas: Ok
France: We're runnin things now.
Spain: We're back!
Texas: ....ok?
Mexico: We're runnin things.
Texas: uh-huh.
USA: We're runnin things now!
Texas: Yup.
Confederate Army: We're runnin things now!
Texas: Suuuure you are.  

Myrikle

6,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200

addicted to sin

Hallowed Sex Symbol

8,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:25 pm
This guild has a general good feel and I haven't had many problems but some members say things in a way that makes it sound 'this is the truth and your wrong no matter what.' but I've only ever seen it once, and I won't be talking to them any time soon.

I once had a religous topic in LSD and it ended up being this huge mercilous battle that kept going to like 60 pages in 2 hours, I was being attacked, others were being attacked and alot of it was coming from 2 or 3 pagan elitests of all people, saying we weren't really Wiccans because we had Dianic elements in our craft. It went on like that until I finally got a mod to close the thread down.

I hope it doesn't happen again. Because I may not do rituals ever full moon but I believe in my religion I'm not in it for an image or anything like that and it still hurts remebering how they said I wasn't a wiccan. I hope I never have to deal with that again, especially not here.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:44 am
Myrikle
Chieftain Twilight
VixenxVittoria

xd

I'm from Texas, I probably would have joined the Confederates just to avoid being strapped to a train. ninja We were planning on taking over after we won the war anyhow. mrgreen

Anyhow, we were so used to "new managment" that we joined for the sake of fun. it ran something like this;

Spain: We're runnin things.
France: We're runnin things now.
Spain: We're back!
Texas: ....ok?
Mexico: We're runnin things.
Texas: uh-huh.
USA: We're runnin things now!
Texas: Yup.
Confederate Army: We're runnin things now!
Texas: Suuuure you are.

xd keheheheh...

I tell ya, as much as I am still working on getting over my prejiduce of Texas (leastways till I can find good reason otherwise), they are probably the only State I feel I could trust in the case the Civil War broke out again... cause I don't doubt that the Confederacy would form again, and that Texas would be part of it.... but like you said above, I think Texas would try to take over once again. or at the very least, secede after the Confederacy won.

in any case, I would have fought fo rthe Confederacy way back when. if it starts again, not so much. because it wouldn't so much be about State Rights anymore. it would be about chistianity and patriarchism. women would be kept down, and people would be oppressed.

I'd probably end up rallying together a Gang, and fight for our own little Anarcho-Syndaclist Commune. ninja pirate  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Rei_Toei

Green Smoker

16,800 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:57 pm
I can't stand snobbery/asshattery ESPECIALLY in long time members of a community. They ought to know who is new and ought to assume some responsibility as a host/hostess as to newcomers, and act/speak with some forbearance. Be nice until you have a reason not to be.

The term "fundamentalist pagan" tickles me no end. cool That is awesome. Can't wait to use it somewhere.

I have always felt that we all must be agnostic by definition because nobody really knows how we got here, if there is any sort of Supreme Being or God or Goddess, or what. We just don't know for sure. Belief and faith and theory is all cool. I have a few ideas myself. But they aren't facts.

I loathe people who want to condescend to straighten you out by referring you to some Xtian fundie nonsense. bleh.

I have very limited time to spend online (I am supposed to be working right now). So I have no patience with people who assume you are trolling if you express an opinion but don't engage in a prolonged semantic battle over the fine points afterwards.

swear to god I am not trolling now, just piping up with my thoughts on the subject. I'm just getting in the bitchfest spirit! 3nodding

I can't say that I would ever display a swastika even knowing that it has other worthy, more ancient, peaceful meanings. Its meaning as a symbol has been hijacked and notoriously so. That said, if there were a swastika bent arm cross in context as part of a mandala or some other contextually understandable design, I wouldn't have much problem with it. Did you know that there is a swastika inside the nosecone of the airplane flown by Charles Lindbergh over the Atlantic? I saw it in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. He scratched it there for luck.

The Confederate flag is another matter. It did stand specifically for men abandoning the U.S. over ideology. It stood for the political desire to perpetuate slavery. It is a relic of the worst of American history. There is absolutely nothing there to take pride in, and everything tragic. Tens of thousands of Americans died in that abomination called the Civil War.

I am from Texas. (Our moron Governor keeps talking about secession like it is funny, and like we could actually keep our state running without federal funding right now. We can't. I know first hand, being privy to matters before the Texas State Comptroller.) There are better things to joke about, seriously.

And really, you wouldn't want to live here in a state free from the encumbrances of federal regulation. It has been over 100 F degrees every day for the last 90 days, and we have had very very little rain. I can't remember the last time it rained. It was 114 F degrees two days ago. It was 104 F before noon today. My air conditioning is electric, and my electric bill would make you vomit and pee yourself simultaneously. We are having brownouts and blackouts. All of the vegetation is dead. Nobody can afford to water their lawn sufficiently. The homeless are dying. Nobody in their right mind wants to be outdoors for long.

The only reason people are not dying in droves from the heat is because of energy assistance programs and homeless rehabilitation programs. Those programs are now almost exclusively funded by ARRA Act money, because Texas is financially insolvent without federal funding. True. Although you won't hear that in the news much.

Federal money is also rebuilding Texas and Louisiana's homes and infrastructure after Hurricanes Ike and Katrina. It is paying for the few new jobs we have created.

Anyway, the Tenth Amendment of the United States Constitution stands for state's rights. The Confederate flag may very well represent an appreciation for state's rights in some people's minds. But it carries too much OTHER very shameful baggage for me to like it as a symbol of that one particular piece of the Bill of Rights. Even if it is spiffy looking.

Okay. That's all. Just my opinion. Don't hit.  
The Café (General Chat)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff