Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Works that promote good ol' atheist values Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cotnribute?
  Yea
  Nay
  Gold
View Results

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:30 pm
chemos32o8
The only category which has not been mentioned is music especially the song Imagine by the John Lennon. If any one else can think of any other songs feel free to add to the list.

Too many to count. To name to a few:
-"Halo" by Porcupine Tree
-"Bukowski" by Modest Mouse
-"Faithless" by Rush
-"Kafir!" by Nile
-"Dear God" by XTC
-"Born" by Nevermore  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:18 pm
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
There was this documentary/comedy I saw called Religulous.
I thought the way it was made was fantastic. Mostly because it didn't try to give Atheism a good name until the end.
Pretty much, the guy goes to most of the popular religions today and does some research on them. One of them was the religion that was a branch of Christianity that had some major ties with weed. it was life to them.
Another was Islam and a few others.
Pretty much, it was a story of an Atheist man studying present history and popular religions and compare it to Atheism. I loved most the jokes he made when listening to the religious people.
He went to Iraq and heard they made this wall to stop Jesus because they thought he would summon an army of undead. Teh-heh. >3<

The message gets serious at the end. I think it MIGHT be offensive to religious people only because it doesn't stand for their beliefs. I can't say for sure but the meaning at the end isn't as powerful unless you have no religious prejudicial cell in your body. A skeptic I suppose.

Check it out sometimes. It leaves you thinking and you break a lung and few ribs from the comedy.

Honestly, I really didn't like Religulous. He just harasses religious people and, while there are a couple of funny scenes, really doesn't do any good for atheism. He's an a*****e throughout the whole movie, and I got the feeling that any religious person who watched it would come away thinking that all atheists were arrogant pricks.

I mean, he spends the entire time telling you with this conceited, typical Bill Maher tone that you should think for yourself and not listen to anyone who preaches or tells you what to think. But then the last fifteen minutes of the movie was just a montage of religious s**t with him basically preaching to you about the evils of religion and telling you what to think.

I admit that it was funny in places, and from an atheist point of view it was at least entertaining, but overall I thought it was a very poorly done documentary that wasn't going to convince anyone of anything.

I will admit that he WAS an a*****e at times. However, I wasn't expecting him to act like a skeptic anyway.
He pretty much found religious people and pointed out the beliefs that made no sense, even if he was alittle to forward on it.
The ending, though, seemed more of the lines

" Don't listen to people who preach to you. However, take note on what they say and make a sensible judgement. "

I hated how he did some things but he made some pretty sensible points.

===============================================

As for music, I'm not sure if these count but I found a few.

WKUK - God Says

Helios Sequence - Can't Say No

Dj Champion - No Heaven

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

MemoriesThatKill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:12 pm
I am very surprised no one has mentioned the obvious books.

"God is Not Great: How Religion Poisens Everything" and "The Portable Atheist" by Christopher Hitchens (Who I personally think is amazing, though admittedly creepy looking in person).

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins.

As far as Fiction goes there is:

"His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman. (Otherwise known as "The Golden Compass"(The first book in the series) in America) Which is actually a fantastic series if anyone gave it a chance.

"Thus Spoke Zarathustra"(English Title) and "The Antichrist" by Nietzsche

And, believe it or not, The bible. One of the main opponents that seems to pop up against Atheism is Christianity. It's the first thing that comes to mind. And I think that the best way to create an Atheist is to read the bible on your own time without going to church(as I believe that the purpose of pasters and reverends and the like is to translate the bible for you) and use common sense.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
I thought the way it was made was fantastic. Mostly because it didn't try to give Atheism a good name until the end.
Pretty much, the guy goes to most of the popular religions today and does some research on them. One of them was the religion that was a branch of Christianity that had some major ties with weed. it was life to them.
Pretty much, it was a story of an Atheist man studying present history and popular religions and compare it to Atheism. I loved most the jokes he made when listening to the religious people.
He went to Iraq and heard they made this wall to stop Jesus because they thought he would summon an army of undead. Teh-heh. >3<

The message gets serious at the end. I think it MIGHT be offensive to religious people only because it doesn't stand for their beliefs. I can't say for sure but the meaning at the end isn't as powerful unless you have no religious prejudicial cell in your body. A skeptic I suppose.

Check it out sometimes. It leaves you thinking and you break a lung and few ribs from the comedy.

Honestly, I really didn't like Religulous. He just harasses religious people and, while there are a couple of funny scenes, really doesn't do any good for atheism. He's an a*****e throughout the whole movie, and I got the feeling that any religious person who watched it would come away thinking that all atheists were arrogant pricks.

I mean, he spends the entire time telling you with this conceited, typical Bill Maher tone that you should think for yourself and not listen to anyone who preaches or tells you what to think. But then the last fifteen minutes of the movie was just a montage of religious s**t with him basically preaching to you about the evils of religion and telling you what to think.

I admit that it was funny in places, and from an atheist point of view it was at least entertaining, but overall I thought it was a very poorly done documentary that wasn't going to convince anyone of anything.

I will admit that he WAS an a*****e at times. However, I wasn't expecting him to act like a skeptic anyway.
He pretty much found religious people and pointed out the beliefs that made no sense, even if he was alittle to forward on it.

" Don't listen to people who preach to you. However, take note on what they say and make a sensible judgement. "

I guess I just felt like it was a movie for atheists. It was alright for an atheist that wanted a laugh, but for anyone else it might have made a really bad impression.  

Lethkhar

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:11 pm
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

I guess I just felt like it was a movie for atheists. It was alright for an atheist that wanted a laugh, but for anyone else it might have made a really bad impression.

=o That is the EXACT thing I thought as well until I saw how many tickets and movies were sold. Made almost more then Transformers.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:19 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

=o That is the EXACT thing I thought as well until I saw how many tickets and movies were sold. Made almost more then Transformers.

And that kind of scares me. All that movie could have done was further inflame anti-atheist sentiment.  

Lethkhar

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

And that kind of scares me. All that movie could have done was further inflame anti-atheist sentiment.

Yet the ONLY complaints it got was before it came out which was people trying to get petitions to get the movie removed. Many can be found on Youtube. Only problem is, it must not have been seen as too offensive considering there was no media gossip it. If a movie that almost made as much money as Transformers was known to offend MANY people, CNN and actual news channels would be all over it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

Yet the ONLY complaints it got was before it came out which was people trying to get petitions to get the movie removed. Many can be found on Youtube. Only problem is, it must not have been seen as too offensive considering there was no media gossip it. If a movie that almost made as much money as Transformers was known to offend MANY people, CNN and actual news channels would be all over it.

It's not that he was offensive; it's just that he was a a*****e. He reinforced peoples' opinions of atheists as arrogant, self-centered, morally questionable people. Because people already had that stereotype, it didn't surprise them. Hence, no uproar. But I sill fear that it will come to bite us in the a** someday.  

Lethkhar

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:35 pm
Even so, it works as a Smack-ya-back case. They would be accused of grouping Atheists together and judging by one person which would just make them lose in the end.

It's like the Scientology vs. Anonymous war, in a way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Even so, it works as a Smack-ya-back case. They would be accused of grouping Atheists together and judging by one person which would just make them lose in the end.

Which was awesome. xd

You don't ******** with Anonymous, man.  

Lethkhar

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:45 pm
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

Which was awesome. xd

You don't ******** with Anonymous, man.

I know man. They ******** you up. =o
I witnessed alittle of the fight in Atlanta because of where I live.
Even if Anonymous lost that battle, it wasn't the point. It was just to show all they had now was money. =o

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:08 pm
We do not forgive, we do not forget.

MemoriesThatKill

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:14 pm
Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical german Philosophy - Chapter 2, Materialism is a great read for some history.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm
MC Frontalot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yrwzi3clPQ  

Lethkhar

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:08 pm
The Invention of Lying is extremely Atheist.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff