Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My teacher hates me... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MemoriesThatKill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm
I know the feeling, I got sent to the office in middle school because I had my hand over my heart during the pledge but didn't recite it. This was after 9/11 when it was required to say the pledge every day during the morning announcements.

There was a teacher at a school near mine that apparently was chemically burning crosses on kids skin in his science class. He wasn't reported for a long time because: 1) The school tried to cover it up first. 2) The kids were afraid to come out and tell someone because they were afraid of being persecuted for being Atheist. and 3) When they finally did step up, the teacher made it seem like they were doing it because he kept a bible on his desk, claiming the students did it to themselves.

It's really a shame that stuff like this goes on and there isn't much you can do as a minority.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 pm
MemoriesThatKill

There was a teacher at a school near mine that apparently was chemically burning crosses on kids skin in his science class. He wasn't reported for a long time because: 1) The school tried to cover it up first. 2) The kids were afraid to come out and tell someone because they were afraid of being persecuted for being Atheist. and 3) When they finally did step up, the teacher made it seem like they were doing it because he kept a bible on his desk, claiming the students did it to themselves.

Was it this guy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Freshwater

That...Is... burning_eyes

Excuse me: I'm going to go punch something now.  

Lethkhar

MemoriesThatKill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm
Lethkhar
MemoriesThatKill

Was it this guy?

Oh My Science! That is exactly the guy! How did you find that? I didn't think it got that much news coverage. I was not to far away near Columbus, Ohio when that whole thing was going down. Althought on the particular newscast I watched they said it was chemical burns rather than electrical. But what news station hasn't gotten a thing or two wrong. rolleyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 pm
MemoriesThatKill
Lethkhar
MemoriesThatKill

Was it this guy?

Oh My Science! That is exactly the guy! How did you find that? I didn't think it got that much news coverage. I was not to far away near Columbus, Ohio when that whole thing was going down. Althought on the particular newscast I watched they said it was chemical burns rather than electrical. But what news station hasn't gotten a thing or two wrong. rolleyes

I just Googled "Chemistry teacher burns crosses".

Despite what you would expect, it was actually the first result. xd  

Lethkhar

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 pm
Gracchia Saint-Justine
FuzzBall 005
And for once its for something I didnt do! Wooooot I did it! I finally got someone to hate me without being a idiot! /Ballons and confetti fall from the sky.

Im taking a class to make up credits I lost back in my freshmen, or is it man?, year and with the holidays rolling around she decided that everyone, all 120 students who show up in her class all day, was christian and had a christmas party all week with jesus's nailed to cross's on the walls and nativity scenes everywhere the eye can see thinking, "yep this be a gewd ider".

Well this friday came and while everyone else was eating her food and drinks, I was working. She came up to me and asked "Dont you want to celebrate the birth of your savior" ...Now this is were anyone who saw the topic about how my mother got PO'ed at me not wanting to celebrate christmas would say I would have been a douche, but in my defense youv'e never been to one of my familys get togethers...hell....on...earth. So I just shake my head and keep working. I was hoping she would just go buuuut... "Dont you believe that jesus died for your sins" and again just shook my head. And thats when she took it even more overboard.Your just a child and dont know any better"...
(blind anger filled rage! FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL!)

Or, you know, you could have enjoyed the time off and eaten some free food... There is such a thing as 'looking for trouble.' I think you do it.

I strongly disagree with the statement that he was "looking for trouble". She shouldn't be pushing her religion in any student's face like that. That isn't right. If the teacher was a muslim and had a big celebration and pushed her religion in some christian kid's face, I bet there would be a lot more shock and seriousness. However, since the issue involves Christianity and the US is mostly Christians, the fact that people can get away with this is not very unusual. I don't think he was looking for trouble; he merely answered truthfully.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:45 am
D i v i n i t y
Gracchia Saint-Justine
FuzzBall 005
And for once its for something I didnt do! Wooooot I did it! I finally got someone to hate me without being a idiot! /Ballons and confetti fall from the sky.

Im taking a class to make up credits I lost back in my freshmen, or is it man?, year and with the holidays rolling around she decided that everyone, all 120 students who show up in her class all day, was christian and had a christmas party all week with jesus's nailed to cross's on the walls and nativity scenes everywhere the eye can see thinking, "yep this be a gewd ider".

Well this friday came and while everyone else was eating her food and drinks, I was working. She came up to me and asked "Dont you want to celebrate the birth of your savior" ...Now this is were anyone who saw the topic about how my mother got PO'ed at me not wanting to celebrate christmas would say I would have been a douche, but in my defense youv'e never been to one of my familys get togethers...hell....on...earth. So I just shake my head and keep working. I was hoping she would just go buuuut... "Dont you believe that jesus died for your sins" and again just shook my head. And thats when she took it even more overboard.Your just a child and dont know any better"...

Or, you know, you could have enjoyed the time off and eaten some free food... There is such a thing as 'looking for trouble.' I think you do it.

I strongly disagree with the statement that he was "looking for trouble". She shouldn't be pushing her religion in any student's face like that. That isn't right. If the teacher was a muslim and had a big celebration and pushed her religion in some christian kid's face, I bet there would be a lot more shock and seriousness. However, since the issue involves Christianity and the US is mostly Christians, the fact that people can get away with this is not very unusual. I don't think he was looking for trouble; he merely answered truthfully.

I'm not talking about the response, I'm talking about:
"Well this friday came and while everyone else was eating her food and drinks, I was working."
In other words:
"I didn't like that the teacher was putting on a religious event, so rather than take it in good faith that she was trying to be nice and put on an enjoyable class, I purposefully took myself away from that, not only depriving myself of fun because it was a religious event, but also drawing attention to myself and being dismissive."

That's how I see it.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:07 am
Lethkhar
MemoriesThatKill

Was it this guy?

Quote:
'science is wrong because the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin and so anyone who is gay chooses to be gay and is therefore a sinner'

What an idiot. stare  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:01 am
Gracchia Saint-Justine
D i v i n i t y
Gracchia Saint-Justine
FuzzBall 005

I'm not talking about the response, I'm talking about:
"Well this friday came and while everyone else was eating her food and drinks, I was working."
In other words:
"I didn't like that the teacher was putting on a religious event, so rather than take it in good faith that she was trying to be nice and put on an enjoyable class, I purposefully took myself away from that, not only depriving myself of fun because it was a religious event, but also drawing attention to myself and being dismissive."

That's how I see it.

Hm...I see it as this:

"The teacher was putting on a religious event in the classroom, which in itself was a waste of class time and the money given towards her salary. It was also discriminatory to other religious beliefs, and as an employee of the government she should not favor one religion over another. Despite all this, I politely and quietly stayed out of the way and used my time in a way that was much more productive and valuable than anyone else in the class-I did my homework. The teacher, however, insisted that I waste my time and taxpayers' money celebrating her religious beliefs. When I politely answered a question of hers by informing her that I did not share her religious convictions, she ridiculed me."

I would have reacted rather abrasively were it me. Her behavior sounds totally unprofessional and unacceptable.  

Lethkhar

MemoriesThatKill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 pm
In Search of a Dream
Lethkhar
MemoriesThatKill

Was it this guy?

Quote:
'science is wrong because the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin and so anyone who is gay chooses to be gay and is therefore a sinner'

What an idiot. stare

You're telling me. >.< It made me lol when I saw it on TV though. "ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!" User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:27 pm
That is horrible! I can't believe people can do such sick things like that (like the teacher burning the cross on his students), all the while thinking they are being rightous. It makes me sick and very sad.
And if your teacher is so against you being Atheist, maybe she should work at a private christian school (if she's going to be so unaccepting of people different from her). Just know that you stood up for yourself, and that she acted very child-like by making a big deal about it.
I remember back when I was in about 3rd grade. (I was raised lutheran, but found my way in 10th grade) There was a girl in my class whose family was Atheist. The school respected their beliefs and the girl didn't have to sing xmas songs in choir, partake in religious-based celebrations, or have to say the god part in the pledge of alligiance. Everyone accepted her, and the school treated her fairly. I mean, it's been about 14 years since I was in 3rd grade, but damn! I can't believe how intollerant public schools have become!
cry I hope when my hubby and I have kids (if we do), we can find a tollerant school for them to go to.  

Ravyn-Bird79

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 pm
It is simple, most who work in the school system feel they are higher then the students. Youtube, Google, whatever you choose...you can type in a few words that you expect to use and you will find plenty of sources and videos showing how the school system gets very corrupted.

( A few I feel you will all get a charlie horse out of. )
Bus Driver Assualts 12-year-old
Kid suspended for Call from Dad....in Iraq
Student Suspended for Going to Prom Due to Religion
Boy Suspended and Attacked for handing out Vaccination Flyers
Teacher Does a Beat Down
Daughter Suspended for Blank Empty Shotgun Shells for show-and-tell
Pre-K Student Suspended for hair too long
Eight Year Old Mental Student suspended for having a drawn DEAD Jesus on the cross

Took me 2 minutes to find those.
Guess which one is fake? =o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:55 am
Well I know it's not the one where the kid gets suspended for his hair being too long. I remember seeing that one. As for the other ones, I'll have to watch the videos to find the fake. (^_^)

MemoriesThatKill

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:39 am
Quote:

In other words:

That's how I see it.

...No by "Well this friday came and while everyone else was eating her food and drinks, I was working"
I really meant, "While every other one of the mentally challenged people I share the same air with in that room were ******** around and trying to shove more food and drink down there throat hole then could fit, not getting any work done, I was getting some damm work done. "
And trust me it was tough with everyone making annoying ******** sounds and using my notes as a napkin, I didnt need her being a complete idiot.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff