Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
one instance of satan doing anything wrong in the bible Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

are there any?
  oui, tu n'es pas intellegente
  non, tu es tres intellegente
View Results

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:42 pm
In my years I've collected some theories about this devil guy.
First of one story goes that Satan actually works for god as a prosecutor and tells god all the naughty things you've done in you're life.

Another one is the Satan is actually appointed by god to lure us into sin, just so that god can test our faith and punish us if we fail.

One thing I've noticed is that according to the bible he's god's most beautiful angels, yet he's often depicted as a red skinned, goat legged guy with horns and a tail. I believe the red skin concept comes with associating the devil with Native Americans. And the whole goat leg thing comes from Christians ridiculing Greek Mythology, it's why I think Satan resembles Pan the little goat boy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:13 pm
chemos32o8
First of one story goes that Satan actually works for god as a prosecutor and tells god all the naughty things you've done in you're life.

Another one is the Satan is actually appointed by god to lure us into sin, just so that god can test our faith and punish us if we fail.

One thing I've noticed is that according to the bible he's god's most beautiful angels, yet he's often depicted as a red skinned, goat legged guy with horns and a tail. I believe the red skin concept comes with associating the devil with Native Americans. And the whole goat leg thing comes from Christians ridiculing Greek Mythology, it's why I think Satan resembles Pan the little goat boy.
but pan's so cute heart
especially his scream

i like the theories though, i think thats the way its set up(i posted a topic in ED, and thats the answer they gave me)  

dl1371

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:20 pm
chemos32o8

That's an interesting theory. =]  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:58 pm
chemos32o8

That's an interesting theory, though I'd wager that if the goat thing is after Greek or (And this is more probable) Roman mythology, then it was probably to help convert people more than to mock it. There are a lot of instances of religions, particularly Christianity, simply mixing their religion into the indigenous culture to ease conversion. There are a lot of saints who were originally indigenous gods.  

Lethkhar

MemoriesThatKill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:07 pm
Actually I think Satan's "Fall from grace" or whathaveyou is the same thing as the story of Adam's first wife, Lilith. She did not want to submit to Adam so she was cast out of eden. It seems like a theme here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:14 pm
Lethkhar
chemos32o8

That's an interesting theory, though I'd wager that if the goat thing is after Greek or (And this is more probable) Roman mythology, then it was probably to help convert people more than to mock it. There are a lot of instances of religions, particularly Christianity, simply mixing their religion into the indigenous culture to ease conversion. There are a lot of saints who were originally indigenous gods.

True this things did occur, but why not make Pan into a saint instead of a devil if not to mock or demonize.  

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:01 pm
chemos32o8
Lethkhar
chemos32o8

True this things did occur, but why not make Pan into a saint instead of a devil if not to mock or demonize.

Hm...That's a good point. Maybe he represented something the Church didn't like. Sexual promiscuity or something.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:08 am
Here's a video about this topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FKn4rKXEY&feature=related  

Lethkhar

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items