Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
My local GameStop... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

has really gone downhill.
  xp
View Results

Iakun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 pm
You don't have to apologize, Dude. You didn't really say anything wrong. I just couldn't help going on the defensive there. sweatdrop I myself am a casual gamer really, but I finish nearly all the games that I play. Moon and I take a different approach to games though. She can "multi-task", be involved with quite a few games at once. I tend to focus on one game till I'm done with it then I move onto the next.

@purple: Nostalgia is quite a valid point when looking back on older games. Unfortunately on Gamefaqs, it's used as a major crutch to invalidate anyone's positive opinions about older games compared to new ones. It's kind of funny that I have a guild for FFXIII because really, I don't think the series has been that great since FF9. Of course it's just my opinion, but I've replayed the older games often times right after the newer ones and I still think the older ones are far better.

Oh you know what I really hate? People who turn things into a contest for no reason. lol I have this one friend that always has to make himself sound better than me at certain games and stuff. I always think, geez I don't care I just want to enjoy the game and that's it.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am
OK, nice to know that I didn't tick anyone off too badly.
But I wasn't including anyone in this guild as the people that tick me off anyway ^.^

Competition is fine. Sometimes it has a place and sometimes it doesn't.
But people do take stuff WAY to seriously. They need to just sit back and enjoy the game.

For example, the first time I played Gryph (he's on my friendslist) at DBZ (budokai tenkaichi) - he kicked my butt. But I was so pumped from adrenaline that I didn't care, I just wanted to fight him again.

It is truly the battles that you don't know whether you'll win or not, that are the most fun. And lets face it, fighting the AI, is no where near as challenging as fighting a real person.

(though the fight with sephiroth in KH1 is way awesome ^.^ )  

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm
Iakun: If you finish nearly all your games, why do you say you're a casual gamer? Sounds to me like you're more dedicated than that. xd I play like Moon: several different games. I'm in the middle of four right now, and two of them are old-school games, and the other two would be called casual games. When it comes to "hardcore" games, or more mainstream games, I tend to play like you and hunker down until I'm done with them. But with anything else, I take my time.

I would never say that all old games are bad just because of nostalgia coloring people's perspectives. There are tons of old games that I never played until after I had played a lot of new ones. Some were good, some not so much. But I think they should all be judged based on individual merits, and people shouldn't use an excuse like "nostalgia" or "older is better" to say that something is bad or good. That's why I always make the effort to make up my own mind.

I'm so far from competitive, I even dislike competing against the AI. xd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:56 pm
Often times in RPGs people will challenge themselves by only playing with a certain character or set of characters, or only playing at a certain level, or with certain equipment, or having to complete the game under certain time constraints. Others also make it a point to complete everything possible in the game even the most pointless of sidequests. (some people go so far as trying to get 99 of every item they can o_O)

I call myself a casual gamer because I don't do those self-imposed challenges and I only bother doing the sidequests that will benefit the most, be it with additional storyline or really useful items/equips.

I guess I've always seen "hardcore" gamers as those people who sit in front of their computer for 48 hours straight with no food and a bottle to pee in while playing World of Warcraft. xd  

Iakun

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 pm
Dude: *Waves hand* You didn't bother me so no worries. I'm with you though Competition is fine it has it's place and sometimes it doesn't. I understand that and agree with ya there. *points* Isn't that the game I played with you and...someone at the Anime Convention? If so that game was fun enough...once you taught me the basics of the game. When it comes to fighting games though I have only one goal in mind "Don't get totally creamed." That basically means I'd rather not lose without even hitting my opponent. Also agree with you a real person is a whole lot harder then an AI. The only time I trade in a game is if it absolutely sucks! I mean I played it gave it a fair chance and just can't get behind it like I traded in Xeno...something or other and I really should trade in Tales of the Abyss cause that game sucks! Anyway, for me that's the only time I trade in a game is if I can't stand it other wise I keep them for later playthroughs or whatever.

Purple: Thanks! ^_^ Yeah, it can really suck and the worst thing is that when I replayed a level with my monster I'd worked hard to gather all the pieces and build back up...he was no where near as cool or useful as the other monsters I had. stare *chuckles* Yeah, I love VGCats too. *nods* Oh I hear ya, I hear ya... I guess I just think it's funny that at one time it was so NERDY to be a gamer but now it's so cool ya know? There are other things but my brain I think just died. sweatdrop I personally think I'm a "casual gamer" myself but like I said before the meaning of "hardcore gamer" has been lost I think so how do we know we all aren't "hardcore gamers"?

Iakun: Okay bro first off I have to say that last comment about a "hardcore gamer" was absolutely awesome and made me laugh. Thanks bro!! *snickers*

*clears throat* Anyway...you're right though we do take different approaches to playing games, but I can't just play one game at a time. If I did I'd grow tired of it and probably never finish it. When I play several games at once it make take me longer but I'll finish them but this way I don't get bored with the game and give up on it early. I don't know why I play that way but I do and it works so I'll stick with it. *chuckles*

I can't even remember how many games I've got going right now, but I know it's a bunch. It's just how I've always been...*shrugs*  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 am
purpleravenhawk
I'm so far from competitive, I even dislike competing against the AI. xd

LOL, it's true. Purple would rather explore then fight enemies ^.^

Iakun
Often times in RPGs people will challenge themselves by only playing with a certain character or set of characters, or only playing at a certain level, or with certain equipment, or having to complete the game under certain time constraints. Others also make it a point to complete everything possible in the game even the most pointless of sidequests. (some people go so far as trying to get 99 of every item they can o_O)

I call myself a casual gamer because I don't do those self-imposed challenges and I only bother doing the sidequests that will benefit the most, be it with additional storyline or really useful items/equips.

Those are rediculous goals to set for ones self. Though personally I'd still do as many side-quests as possible. Because although you may not progress the story or get REALLY useful items, you can still sell what you do get, in order to save for the awesome, much more expensive, stuff.

Iakun
I guess I've always seen "hardcore" gamers as those people who sit in front of their computer for 48 hours straight with no food and a bottle to pee in while playing World of Warcraft. xd

LOL, guess that rules me out rofl

Moonracer
Dude: *Waves hand* You didn't bother me so no worries. I'm with you though Competition is fine it has it's place and sometimes it doesn't. I understand that and agree with ya there. *points* Isn't that the game I played with you and...someone at the Anime Convention? If so that game was fun enough...once you taught me the basics of the game. When it comes to fighting games though I have only one goal in mind "Don't get totally creamed." That basically means I'd rather not lose without even hitting my opponent. Also agree with you a real person is a whole lot harder then an AI. The only time I trade in a game is if it absolutely sucks! I mean I played it gave it a fair chance and just can't get behind it like I traded in Xeno...something or other and I really should trade in Tales of the Abyss cause that game sucks! Anyway, for me that's the only time I trade in a game is if I can't stand it other wise I keep them for later playthroughs or whatever.

LOL, yeah, you kicked gryph's butt ^.^
And not liking a game is the ONLY reason to get rid of it.
Sadly though alot of people even get rid of games they like.
They have no appreciation for replay value.

Moonracer
Purple: Thanks! ^_^ Yeah, it can really suck and the worst thing is that when I replayed a level with my monster I'd worked hard to gather all the pieces and build back up...he was no where near as cool or useful as the other monsters I had. stare *chuckles* Yeah, I love VGCats too. *nods* Oh I hear ya, I hear ya... I guess I just think it's funny that at one time it was so NERDY to be a gamer but now it's so cool ya know? There are other things but my brain I think just died. sweatdrop I personally think I'm a "casual gamer" myself but like I said before the meaning of "hardcore gamer" has been lost I think so how do we know we all aren't "hardcore gamers"?

The way I figure it, you're a hardcore gamer if:
You don't sell the games you like.
You don't believe that a games crap, just because it's old.
You finish most of the games you play.
(And by "finish" I mean story, not getting 100% complete all the time)

Moonracer
I can't even remember how many games I've got going right now, but I know it's a bunch. It's just how I've always been...*shrugs*

Hmm... Maybe you should have a special place in your room for games that you've started. That way if you want to know how many you're in the middle of, just look and count them ^.^  

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 pm
Iakun

Uugh, idiots like that aren't hardcore; they're just insane. xp

Dude has spent some time trying to collect absolutely everything in a game. I don't go that far, and I don't think you have to in order to be a gamer. From what I can tell, everyone here is a gamer, with the possible exception of Ty. xd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:17 pm
purpleravenhawk
Ty: I don't think you have to have played the older stuff to be considered a gamer, but if you've never finished any of your games, that might put you out of the running. xd Lol @ semi-gamer.

Rini: I've played some games that I thought would've made much better movies or something. But it sounds like Mike is a real dedicated gamer. I've only played the first KH, but I loved it, and I will get to the others eventually. *determined face*

Moon: Congrats on finishing another game! I know how hard that can be when you don't have the time. And how annoying it is to put hours of work into something you end up not needing for the final fight. I agree that "hardcore gamer" may have lost its meaning, but maybe that depends on how you look at it.

I like VGCats. xd But I think there's too much hate on casual gamers these days. I play games that are widely considered "casual games", and some of them are quite difficult, not to mention fun.

Historically speaking, the only reason original gamers played games that were so hard and worked so much to beat them was because there was nothing else. Those tough games were all that existed; there were no other choices. That doesn't make them good, although many of them were; it just makes them the only choice. For most of them, if they were made today, they wouldn't get far. The reason the "golden age of gaming" is considered golden is because of the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. Just like cartoons from when you were a kid - most of them were crappy, but because you grew up with them, they're awesome. xd There are still plenty of "hardcore" games being made. Are they as tough as the first video games? Probably not, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Part of what made early games so tough was lazy programming, technology limitations, and the fact that creators knew they had a limited audience who would put up with anything if they wanted to play. "Great" games were just as hard to come by back in the day as they are now. And I could tell you about some truly bizarre old games that we would've called "casual games" today. xd But between nostalgia and the fact that there are so many more games altogether now, it makes the modern scene look worse than it actually is. There's nothing wrong with making easier games for people who like easier games. But excluding those people from the gaming community because they don't play the same games in the same way that the original gamers did would be unfair. Call them "casual gamers" or semi-gamers or whatever, but they're not ruining the market.

*gets off soapbox*

I have finished several games just not all  

Tybarious

Iakun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:32 pm
I traded in 11 games at EB/gamestop to help cover half the cost of my FFXIII preorder. 2 of the games I traded in were Tales of Vesperia and Tales of the Abyss. The guy looked at me like I grew a second head. He was like, man you're trading these in? I was like, yes, I kinda sorta really didn't like them. xd I HAVE traded games in that I sorta liked, but that was because I just KNEW I wasn't gonna play them again.

One of my best friends only plays his rpg's once. He doesn't have that much time to burn on games, but aside from that I think he probably just feels there's no point going through a story you already know.

I on the other hand have replayed certain rpgs a ton of times. I played and beat FF9 like 3 times at least, and FFX like 5 lol

Anyway, trading in games is such a waste really. You get FAR more for selling them off on ebay, the only problem with that is it's such a hassle to ship things off yourself and with those shipping costs it can sometimes kill a lot of profit anyway. FFXIII was freaking expensive: 69.99 here in Canada. It took those 11 games traded in, and an EB giftcard from my cousin to buy that damn game.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 am
purpleravenhawk
Uugh, idiots like that aren't hardcore; they're just insane. xp

Dude has spent some time trying to collect absolutely everything in a game. I don't go that far, and I don't think you have to in order to be a gamer. From what I can tell, everyone here is a gamer, with the possible exception of Ty. xd

Not everything ALL the time.
sweatdrop

Tybarious

Have you finished at least half of the total number of games you have?

Iakun
I traded in 11 games at EB/gamestop to help cover half the cost of my FFXIII preorder. 2 of the games I traded in were Tales of Vesperia and Tales of the Abyss. The guy looked at me like I grew a second head. He was like, man you're trading these in? I was like, yes, I kinda sorta really didn't like them. xd I HAVE traded games in that I sorta liked, but that was because I just KNEW I wasn't gonna play them again.

One of my best friends only plays his rpg's once. He doesn't have that much time to burn on games, but aside from that I think he probably just feels there's no point going through a story you already know.

I on the other hand have replayed certain rpgs a ton of times. I played and beat FF9 like 3 times at least, and FFX like 5 lol

Anyway, trading in games is such a waste really. You get FAR more for selling them off on ebay, the only problem with that is it's such a hassle to ship things off yourself and with those shipping costs it can sometimes kill a lot of profit anyway. FFXIII was freaking expensive: 69.99 here in Canada. It took those 11 games traded in, and an EB giftcard from my cousin to buy that damn game.

I wouldn't trade away any games that I like, even if I just like them a little. But of course I never try to buy games just after they come out either. I wait for the prices to go down. AND DANG MAN, FFXIII is expensive! Why on earth didn't you wait for the price to go down?  

xwhateverxdudex

Iakun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:47 pm
Because I've been waiting for this game. I'm not about to wait another year for this thing to become a greatest hits and lower the price so I can play it. Waiting till March 9th has already been agonizing enough. This last week before the game's release is so excruciating. xd My sister recently offered to go pick the game up for me.

I almost never buy a game that I haven't been anticipating for ages. Most games I purchase are on the release day. Besides, I wasn't gonna play all those trade ins anymore so there was no point keeping them when I could use them to get a new game I really wanted.

FFXIII is cheaper in the states by 10 bucks or so.

Oh yeah, I'm also writing a faq/walkthrough for the game and running my FFXIII guild, which are a couple other reasons I can't just leave the game till later.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Ty: That sounds better. xd

Iakun: I can understand that. There are a few games I own that I probably won't be replaying. They were good or okay, but some things just don't replay well. The ones I don't like at all, I usually re-sell, sometimes to dude, who has lower standards than I. xd

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:59 pm
Dude: Yay!!! I remembered the right game! *does happy dance* Okay I'm good now. I remember that game it was fun and I was just happy that I could get at least "ONE" hit on this "legendary" player that Gryph was. That's my whole goal in a fighting game if I can get ONE hit on my enemy I'm good. *nods* I'm with you personally not liking a game is the only reason to get rid of a game or...well if you can't play it anymore. Like I gave your sister a computer game that I can't play on my computer because my computer is to fast. Hm...so that's your idea of a "hardcore gamer" huh? Okay Check on 1... Check on 2.... Hm...how is 2 out of 3 of your requirements is that still a casual gamer? *chuckles* Maybe, but I'm still reworking my room so all my games are in one place...for the most part right now, but they'll be moved and set up nicely once Spring comes around and I can get back to cleaning and painting so maybe I'll learn then. sweatdrop

Iakun: I remember you telling me about that. I say at least you know those games will be played. But I have to agree it does suck that these games you spend like 50 bucks on or so if they turn out to be crap you might be able to get 20 bucks back. What's up with that? Anyway, sorry there. I'm with you I've got a couple of games that have great replay value...Chaos Legion totally has replay value, just like that one game I can't remember the name of and Final Fantasy IX totally does and Kingdom Hearts does too... however KH2 not so much...but I'm getting off subject here.... I'm glad you were able to get your game and your sister is being really nice to pick it up for you. I hope you enjoy it bro! ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm
xwhateverxdudex

Tybarious

to be honest I don't know, I've played so many that I can't remember  

Tybarious

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:21 am
Iakun
Because I've been waiting for this game. I'm not about to wait another year for this thing to become a greatest hits and lower the price so I can play it. Waiting till March 9th has already been agonizing enough. This last week before the game's release is so excruciating. xd My sister recently offered to go pick the game up for me.

I almost never buy a game that I haven't been anticipating for ages. Most games I purchase are on the release day. Besides, I wasn't gonna play all those trade ins anymore so there was no point keeping them when I could use them to get a new game I really wanted.

FFXIII is cheaper in the states by 10 bucks or so.

Oh yeah, I'm also writing a faq/walkthrough for the game and running my FFXIII guild, which are a couple other reasons I can't just leave the game till later.

I see...
Well, I never really know what games comming out till I see it in stores.
So buying games is more, on a whim, then anticipated for.

purpleravenhawk
Ty: That sounds better. xd

Iakun: I can understand that. There are a few games I own that I probably won't be replaying. They were good or okay, but some things just don't replay well. The ones I don't like at all, I usually re-sell, sometimes to dude, who has lower standards than I. xd

Quite.
"wisper - she sold to me, Seven Samurai 20XX"

Moonracer
Dude: Yay!!! I remembered the right game! *does happy dance* Okay I'm good now. I remember that game it was fun and I was just happy that I could get at least "ONE" hit on this "legendary" player that Gryph was. That's my whole goal in a fighting game if I can get ONE hit on my enemy I'm good. *nods* I'm with you personally not liking a game is the only reason to get rid of a game or...well if you can't play it anymore. Like I gave your sister a computer game that I can't play on my computer because my computer is to fast. Hm...so that's your idea of a "hardcore gamer" huh? Okay Check on 1... Check on 2.... Hm...how is 2 out of 3 of your requirements is that still a casual gamer? *chuckles* Maybe, but I'm still reworking my room so all my games are in one place...for the most part right now, but they'll be moved and set up nicely once Spring comes around and I can get back to cleaning and painting so maybe I'll learn then. sweatdrop

Well 2 is good ^.^
But keep in mind that that 3rd one could be defined in multiple ways.
For example... "most" could mean anything from "1 less then all" to "1 more then half" (though I prefer to think of it around 3/4ths of the total games you have)

Tybarious
xwhateverxdudex

Tybarious

to be honest I don't know, I've played so many that I can't remember

You don't remember the ones you've finished?
O_o  
Nothing's coming.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces